Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: CAS' California?
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2006 12:19AM
The last few times that Ron and I met in Auburn we were saddened to find that the Shanghai was closed. At one time it looked as if it would reopen as an American cuisine restaurant, but that never materialized; in fact, perhaps that plan was the source of the family conflict that ended its run. The Shanghai was my favorite eating place in Auburn (ever since the Auburn Hotel closed down), and I have memories of sharing many a fine meal there with Ron, Don Fryer, Don Herron, and the rest of the local congregation of Tsathoggua's Witnesses ("Our Watch Tower is on Leng"). Tempus fugit indeed.

Scott

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2006 10:59AM

fellas,

the old Freeman Hotel was also a fine eatery, and palatial for its era:
huge outdoot dance floor, tennis courts etc.

What has replaced the Auburn Hotel?

There was also a rest. called Four Corners on the Auburn Ravine at
hwy 40 below old town -- also of great sadness, the continuous artesian
spring that ran from the ruins of the old brewery on Spring st has been sealed off. All change is not progress.

Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2006 11:40AM
Sorry to inform you all that the Shanghai has been closed for a year now, due to
in-fighting between the family members that Noel mentioned, and the aforementioned auction took place last June. Sadly, the era of the Shanghai is over for good.

The old Auburn Hotel is now remodeled and the home of legal offices, etc. No improvement here either. At least we got the boulder moved from the Smith property and the plaque installed; they are holding up just fine and should remain there for a long, long time.
-Ron

Posted by: Noel Farmer (IP Logged)
Date: 15 February, 2006 11:27AM
Amazing how slow information sometimes travel in the information age.

If I recall correctly The Freeman Hotel hosted a President or two. It also served some amazing Pizza that was best when consummed down at the River with a six pack or three. In my late teens I shot a movie that featured the Freeman Hotel as the site of a murder. I will have to track down my friend that was also involved and see if the film still exists.

Goto Page: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page