Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Clark Ashton Smith and Cinema
Posted by: Raven10 (IP Logged)
Date: 25 February, 2006 12:43PM
As far as I am aware, none of the stories by Clark Ashton Smith have ever been adapted for the "big screen". However, I don't think that any of his stories would be suitable for the cinema anyway. What do the rest of you think about this matter?

Julian L Hawksworth

Re: Clark Ashton Smith and Cinema
Posted by: Tortha (IP Logged)
Date: 25 February, 2006 03:09PM
Why not?
I think The Ice Demon would make a fine film.
Hollywood spending money on such a project is another question.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 25 February, 2006 05:32PM
Back in the mid-1930s, Universal was thinking of buying movie rights to "The Dark Eidolon" and "The Colossus of Ylourgne," but when the Laemmles were forced to sell the studio this went to the land of might-have-been. CAS thought that either of these stories could have been made into fine fantasy films like THE THIEF OF BAGDAD, and although I think it might have been a bit dodgey back then, today it would be a piece of cake that even the Sci-Fi Channel could knock out.
I had Arkham House send Stuart (REANIMATOR) Gordon a copy of RENDEZVOUS after talking to him about this at last year's HPL Film Festival in Portland.
Best,
Scott

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 25 February, 2006 06:58PM

The Charnal God, and the Black Abbott of Puthuum would be very interesting on film, and the Double Shadow of course.

Posted by: Ludde (IP Logged)
Date: 26 February, 2006 02:55AM
"The Monster of the Prophesy", and "The City of the Singing Flame". There are several that would be visually interesting (I am moving ahead into The Red World of Polaris, and it is a worthy candidate). But they demand advanced film technique, like in the hands of Tippett Studios or Industrial Light and Magic. Any story that draws away from the ordinary human biological strivings in every film of today, away from the simplification of good and evil, towards outer experiences beyond, would be welcome. If only the film producers dared take the step. I am sure the curiosty of moviegoers for something new would flood the theaters.

Sorry Scott, but I don't share your view. I am of a very different opinion;

"The Dark Eidolon" would definitely not be a "piece of cake"! It requires good acting and delicate film art.

The purpose can't be to just "pull off a film", "any film!", only to desperately get focus on his name. That's not worthy. Making film adaptions of his work doesn't necessarily in every story need big money budget, but there has to be integrity. And underlying respect for Clark Ashton Smith and his work. Someone who shares his interest in colours, poetic atmosphere, and the outer.

And if splatter-film director Stuart Gordon were to direct I would rather be without. He doesn't share Smith's vision, or Lovecraft's! From the contents of his films you can see that he is an earth-gazer. Stuck in the flesh.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 26 Feb 06 | 03:07AM by Ludde.

Posted by: Raven10 (IP Logged)
Date: 26 February, 2006 05:44AM
I'm pleased with the significant response to my "Clark Ashton Smith and Cinema" thread. I would like to add that there have been a small number of films, which were based upon stories by HP Lovecraft as opposed to Clark Ashton Smith. I wonder why. Have HP Lovecraft's stories been more highly regarded by the film studios, or simply easier to convey for the "big screen"? "From Beyond", "The Dunwich Horror" and "Reanimator" are just a few of the stories by Lovecraft which made it to our cinema screens. Looking forward to your replies in due course.

Julian L Hawksworth

Posted by: Gavin Callaghan (IP Logged)
Date: 27 February, 2006 05:31PM
I believe I read somewhere that Dan O'Bannon's story for Ridely Scott's film Alien (1979) was loosely based upon CAS's Mars story "The Vaults of Yah-Vombis".

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 28 February, 2006 02:42AM
Gavin Callaghan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe I read somewhere that Dan O'Bannon's
> story for Ridely Scott's film Alien (1979) was
> loosely based upon CAS's Mars story "The Vaults of
> Yah-Vombis".

I've read that too! But I can't for the life of me remember where. I THINK it may have been Lin Carter who suggested it.

Yrs
Martin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page