Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
temporary absence
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 25 March, 2006 11:19AM

Nothing of particular site importance; just letting my friends here know that on thursday next I will be getting a knee replacement -
my 48th invasive procedure since 1997 - yippee!
Small note also - the International Poetry society has published a little collection of the winning entries in last year's contest called
Shadow of the Moon - the first entry is mine.
When I can sit longer without pain, I will send a copy to anyone interested.
Meanwhile, I wish you all well, and will not be able to get to the computer for about a month, if i survive - not being funny, it is always problematic to go under the knife, particularly when immuno-suppressed.
I will truly miss checking in on your thoughts, which give me hope for building and increasing the following for Clark - also nice to see some interest in Nora Mae, as Clark remembered her so fondly from his youth, knowing those who knew her.

Re: temporary absence
Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 26 March, 2006 02:38PM
Good luck with your operation. I am thinking of you.

Date: 14 April, 2006 04:24PM

Thanks to all for your concerns - have survived invasive procedure number 49 and
walking pretty well - can't make the circuit on turning the bicycle wheel yet should get there soon -
Agsin for Ron and Scott et al, will be in Auburn the week-end of the 12 of August --
Hope to see you then -

I have been trying to remember of Clark ever mentioned Sterlings's abilities as a hunter (reading "Shadow of the Unattained) -- certainly a neccesity in those penurious days, and a ticket straight to jail in today's crowded and law burdened Carmel. Coney's in the pot were common at the Smith house due to Clark's old Remington.
Dr. f

Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 14 April, 2006 05:20PM
Welcome back, Dr. F!

Glad to see that you survived, and that you're almost able to leap small buildings with a single bound (yes, only ants count).

I take it that Sterling was an adequate to excellent forager for food, from the diet mentioned here and there.

*Author of Strange Gardens [www.lulu.com]

*Editor of Calenture: a Journal of Studies in Speculative Verse [calenture.fcpages.com]

*Visit my homepage: [voleboy.freewebpages.org]

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 15 April, 2006 02:24AM
I am planning on taking some days off in August. Perhaps we might even host a gathering of the clan here in honor of the return of the prodigal? Anybody in the Bay or Norcal area interested, contact me offlist!
I know that Clark did a lot of small game shooting, but don't know what type of firearms he owned. I take it that his "old Remington" was probably a .22 rimfire. I think that he also had a single-shot shotgun, don't know what gauge but suspect either .410 or 20g. Perhaps you can enlighten us?
And congrats on surviving 49. May there never be a need for a 50!
Best,
Scott

Date: 15 April, 2006 11:43AM

Clark's rifle was a single shot .22 -- I never saw him fire the shotgun, but from a corner of the eye recollection seen leaning behind or beside the wood heater, probably a 410 - in fact, on instant recall, i am sure of it because i remember asking if it were an over/under, and he said no, not accurate enough. Hunting, even at my generation in relation to Clark's was still primarily done to supplement the table - some neighbor boys and i even set up a trap line along the rim of the canyon to try for bigger game or furs. At that time the kittens of big cats were worth $25 and the bounty on the big cats was $250 - numbers pulled from mythology to teenagers in the early 50's.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page