Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
CAS Panel at World Horror Con San Francisco May 13, 2006
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 6 May, 2006 01:56PM
Hi.
Just to let you all know, next weekend San Francisco will be hosting the World Horror Convention, and on Saturday May 13 there will be a panel devoted to Clark Ashton Smith. Don Herron will be moderating, and the panel members will include Ron Hilger, Dennis Rickard, Stanley Sargent, and myself. I hope to see Nighthalo and Steve and Mike and all of the rest of the Bay Area lurkers in the Darkness there.
Best,
Scott Connors

Re: CAS Panel at World Horror Con San Francisco May 13, 2006
Posted by: NightHalo (IP Logged)
Date: 6 May, 2006 04:46PM
I have my last final that day :(

Date: 6 May, 2006 08:19PM
On a _Saturday_?!?! How uncivilized! Well, the panel isn't until 4 or 5 in the afternoon, maybe you'll be finished by then. But since the One True Name of God is Murphy, your final is probably scheduled for 1:00 PM. Scheisse!

Date: 7 May, 2006 01:07AM
Yes it is uncivilized! I have it on a Saturday (the day before one of my graduations to boot). The final is from 5PM-8PM and before that my signifigant other has the car until 4PM for work. Evil Murphy!!!

Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 7 May, 2006 01:20AM
If you want to see Don Herron froth at the mouth, Scott, may I suggest getting a t-shirt that says "Ben Zoom is God" on it. ;)

*Author of Strange Gardens [www.lulu.com]

*Editor of Calenture: a Journal of Studies in Speculative Verse [calenture.fcpages.com]

*Visit my homepage: [voleboy.freewebpages.org]

Date: 7 May, 2006 11:40PM
Hell Phillip, that shirt damn near makes _me_ froth at the mouth! But let's not go down that road, shall we? Best, Scott

Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 8 May, 2006 02:19AM
Best not, eh?

Too much froth on stage, and people will start slipping over, and spraining things best left unsprained. Good luck with the panel.

*Author of Strange Gardens [www.lulu.com]

*Editor of Calenture: a Journal of Studies in Speculative Verse [calenture.fcpages.com]

*Visit my homepage: [voleboy.freewebpages.org]

Date: 14 May, 2006 01:48AM
How was it Scott?

Date: 14 May, 2006 01:42PM
It went pretty well. Don Herron moderated, introducing Smith to the audience by reading Lovecraft's first letter to CAS: the _actual_ letter itself, not a copy!!! (Don is a great believer in the value of totemic objects....) He then passed the mike to me, so I discussed a little about how CAS had a considerable literary reputation during his lifetime, and how up until his death had probably received more press than HPL or REH combined. I went into some of his themes and what he tried to accomplish. Dick Lupoff then discussed him in view of contemporary pulp writers, pointing out essential similarities and differences, and then Ron Hilger discussed the compromises that writing for the pulps forced Smith to make with his writing. We then answered questions from the audience, which ranged from what future releases are forthcoming, whether Dunsany was an influence, how Ron and I are establishing the texts for the Night Shade series (which looks to see the first volume out in early July, and the bonus book out in June), etc. There were around fifty or so people in the audience, which wasn't bad for the Con.
I was only able to attend Saturday myself. Had to cancel Sunday, alas! One highlight was when I attended a promo event for Chris Golden and Jim Moore's new novella from Earthling, "Bloodstained Oz" (imagine the flying monkeys are vampires), and won the raffle for one of the original pieces of artwork (by Glenn Chadbourne)!
Best,
Scott

Date: 14 May, 2006 02:06PM
It sounds like it was a truly a rich experience, not only did you educate on behalf of CAS, but you scored some art in the process! :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page