Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Moorcock minutiae question
Posted by: dakerjohn (IP Logged)
Date: 4 June, 2006 02:44PM
Hi, I found my way here from google, trying to find a forum on which refugees from multiverse.org might be posting. I have an urgent question that only a major Moorcock fan might hope to answer: I recently sold on ebay a hardover copy of the White Wolf "Corum: The Coming of Chaos" to a buyer who claims that it does not include the words "first hardcover edition" followed by month and year on its copyright page and who has concluded from this omission that the copy I sold him is a second printing.

My working hypothesis is that these words were accidentally omitted from all copies of this volume, and that the copy I sent my buyer is in fact a first printing. But I don't have access to another hardcover copy to check.

So my question is: can someone look at his or her hardcover copy of this book to let me know if its copyright page has those words, "first hardcover edition" followed by the month and year? Or even better (though less likely) does anyone know for sure if there ever was a second hardcover printing of this book? I'd be eternally grateful . . .

Re: Moorcock minutiae question
Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 5 June, 2006 09:46AM
I don't have my own copy available right now, but I will take a look in it this upcoming weekend. I'm pretty sure my copy is a first printing; I bought it on October 20, 1997, according to my card file. IIRC, the book was released in Spring that year, but I bought it late because my usual supplier had trouble ordering the book (suddenly, only UK editions of Moorcock were OK for sale in Sweden, or something).

Though I SERIOUSLY doubt it went through more than one printing.

Otherwise I suppose you could ask White Wolf themselves. Their website is at www.white-wolf.com

Yrs
Martin

Date: 5 June, 2006 09:52AM
I notice that the Science Fiction Book Club released this book as well. Their edition is, according to [www.locusmag.com] , "similar to the 1997 White Wolf edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket".

And I was right, the WW edition appeared in February 1997.

Posted by: Mikey_C (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2006 06:28PM
Sadly I cannot answer this question, but you will pleased to know that Moorcock's Miscellany (www.multiverse.org) is now up and running again. :¬)

Posted by: jdworth (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2006 10:40AM
I hope this helps: I only have the second White Wolf printing, but it does have on the copyright page the following information:

"First hardcover edition February 1997
Second Hardcover edition August 1997"

So, if the copy you sold him is missing any of that information, chances are it is the first, unless there was a third edition, which I don't believe is the case.

Date: 7 July, 2006 04:31AM
Sorry for being so late in replying -- I didn't visit my folks as anticipated, and that's where (due to somewhat cramped quarters) I keep a great part of my library.

I've checked my copy of CORUM: THE COMING OF CHAOS (White Wolf, 1997). It does state quite clearly on the copyright page "First hardcover edition February 1997", right under "Printed in the United States."

Which is a bit curious -- because if your book is MISSING that information, it could be fairly unique... O_O

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page