Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Bigfoot
Posted by: Gavin Callaghan (IP Logged)
Date: 4 June, 2006 05:26PM
For my "Lovecraft and Werewolves" essay, I have doing a great deal of reading in occult accounts of werewolves, abominable snowmen, ape-men sightings, and so on. Today, I came across a report of a sighting of bigfoot in CAS's Auburn, California, included in a section of occult writer Brad Steiger's Monsters Among Us dealing with various sightings of bigfoot in remote areas of California:

"Gilroy Hall, a mechanic from Union City, California, has hunted the 'apeman' for almost a dozen years. He and his wife once lived in a remote part of the Auburn district and frequently found giant footprints outside their cabin. These tracks triggered Hall's curiosity.

"'Those prints were twelve to sixteen inches from heel to toe and up to six inches in width,' Hall emphasized. 'They were the footprints of a human, not a bear. He had the stride of twelve to fourteen feet and probably weighed eight hundred to one thousand pounds.'

"Despite his years of hunting, Hall has never seen his monstrous prey. 'He took a one-thousand-pound beef and ate it from the inside out, leaving the ribcage and hide,' he reported."
[p.71]

I know that CAS once reported seeing a "dark meteor" of some sort. I wonder if he ever saw or heard of a bigfoot in his region.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 4 Jun 06 | 05:27PM by Gavin Callaghan.

Re: Bigfoot
Posted by: NightHalo (IP Logged)
Date: 4 June, 2006 07:31PM
Gavin do you know where he mentions the dark meteor? I haven't read his letters yet but something like this would spark the fire and get me going. :)

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 5 June, 2006 07:02PM
Nighthalo, see CAS's letter to HPL from early November 1933: "Another queer happening, of a totally different kind, occurred four or five years ago. A woman-friend and I were out walking one night in a lane near Auburn, when a dark, lightless and silent object passed over us against the stars with projectile-like speed. The thing was too large and swift for any bird, and gave precisely the effect of a black meteor. I have often wondered what it was. Charles Fort, no doubt, would have made a substantial item out of it: for one of his volumes." Remember, the search function is your friend!

Gavin,
I don't think that CAS ever had any encounters with Bigfoot. His friend George Haas was a major Bigfoot investigator, and he would surely have made some mention of it in his two memoirs of CAS (or else Don Herron would have mentioned it in his biography of Haas).
Best,
Scott

Posted by: NightHalo (IP Logged)
Date: 6 June, 2006 12:14AM
Thank you Scott and yes I will keep that in mind for next time.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 7 June, 2006 04:42PM

Scott - I have been in the hospital for quite a while since my knee replacement went bad and they had to go back in - soooo

re Bigfoot: this little series prompted my memory of an evening at the cabin early in our friendship, drinking coolers (Loomis Burgundy, water, Ice), and there had been some stir about Bigfoot - Clark surmised, since they were said to be quite hairty, that it was probably a Mormon Biship.

Dr. F

Posted by: Gavin Callaghan (IP Logged)
Date: 7 June, 2006 06:57PM
tee hee

Or perhaps a Danite.

Posted by: lordpazuzu (IP Logged)
Date: 5 October, 2011 02:26PM
I live in Auburn, ca. I just found this site. Im a CAS fan as well as HPL. There are cool memorials to CAS here. As far as bigfoot goes - I have had an encounter with 2 of them here in Aug of 2006 at a res. called "lake aurthur". I saw wet "barefoot" foot prints about 8"-10" leading from the lake up into thick manzanita. it was almost sundown, no one was there (you pretty much have to drive there - no cars in site.) I followed the footprints up the hill. my hair was standing on end and my dog would not follow me. I saw the shapes of two things. one was about my heights maybe a little smaller (10" foot print suspect) and one was very very large. 9-10 ft. they both were laying on the hill side in a semi clearing, in the leaves. I could hear them breathing. I left immediately, as i walked back towards my car, i heard them pacing me at the crest of the hill but could not see them anymore. True story. I filed it with BFRO. love live tentacly things!!!

Posted by: cathexis (IP Logged)
Date: 5 October, 2011 11:46PM
Regarding Dark Meteors,....

Look for them yourself this coming weekend.
Link here:

The Draconids

Well, maybe not dark, but could be spectacular. Looks like the Brits will have
the best of it.

I can only speculate on a faulty memory but I'm sure I've heard of dark meteors
before -and legitimately- perhaps it was an episode of "Sky at Night". Anyway,
whatever the source it accepted dark meteors as fact. They have supposedly been
seen rarely when astonomers have their scope pointed at the moon and a random
meteor travelling in inter-planetary space crossed the field of view. I don't
think this explains CAS's sighting as he says it was a physically large object
whereas a meteor would likely appear smaller. Just wanted to chuck that in here.

-Cathexis

Posted by: weorcstan (IP Logged)
Date: 6 October, 2011 02:04AM
Welcome Lord Pazuzu -

I am mostly a lurker on this list, but am glad that CAS is appreciated by someone in Auburn. My parents live up the Foresthill Road between Auburn and Foresthill and I always ask suitable people about him when we visit Auburn. So far, I haven’t found anyone who has even heard of him. I have asked at a local bookstore (the owner wasn’t there), a museum (can’t remember its name but they had an exhibit about what things were like before Highways 80 and 50), and the library.

Someone at the library was able to direct me to the memorial plaque at the library after I identified him as “a local poet who died in 1961 and has a memorial plaque here,” but no one recalled his name or had ever read anything he wrote.

The lady working in the museum told me that she didn’t think a town named Long Valley was ever in the area, but had to probably be in El Dorado County…

Posted by: cathexis (IP Logged)
Date: 6 October, 2011 09:39AM
Off-Topic but,

Calonian,

I sincerely wish you the best resolution possible for your recent surgery.
My knees aren't what they ued to be either but I am grateful to avoid any
surgery. Being stuck in the hospital is another pain too, I know.

My Best to You,

Cathexis

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 14 October, 2011 04:05PM
weorcstan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Welcome Lord Pazuzu -
>
> I am mostly a lurker on this list, but am glad
> that CAS is appreciated by someone in Auburn. My
> parents live up the Foresthill Road between Auburn
> and Foresthill and I always ask suitable people
> about him when we visit Auburn. So far, I
> haven’t found anyone who has even heard of him.
> I have asked at a local bookstore (the owner
> wasn’t there), a museum (can’t remember its
> name but they had an exhibit about what things
> were like before Highways 80 and 50), and the
> library.
>
> Someone at the library was able to direct me to
> the memorial plaque at the library after I
> identified him as “a local poet who died in 1961
> and has a memorial plaque here,” but no one
> recalled his name or had ever read anything he
> wrote.
>
> The lady working in the museum told me that she
> didn’t think a town named Long Valley was ever
> in the area, but had to probably be in El Dorado
> County…

Clearly, the people now living in Auburn have utterly lost touch with their historical past - you would almost certainly have to find a super-annuated person like myself who used to be in the education business - there may be a few - I know a few of my classmates still live in the area, and while probably not readers, would remember Clark - it is natheless, shocking and fills me with dismay -

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page