Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Out of Space and Time & Lost Worlds
Posted by: Boyd (IP Logged)
Date: 21 July, 2006 03:59PM
Out of Space and Time & Lost Worlds from University of Nebraska Press (Bison Inprint) are now officially out. The First to post a review wins a prize.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21 Jul 06 | 03:59PM by Boyd.

Re: Out of Space and Time & Lost Worlds
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 22 July, 2006 02:41PM
Heh. Simple if you already have the Arkham, Neville Spearman, or Panther editions. (Yeah, I know that the chances of having the Arkham are somewhat on the slim side for most of CAS's readers.) Only thing different is Jeff Vandermeer's intros. I'm curious as to what he had to say about dear old Klarkash-Ton.
You must have gotten review copies, Boyd, because Amazon.com still lists these as not due out until October.
Best,
Scott

Posted by: Boyd (IP Logged)
Date: 22 July, 2006 03:31PM
I don't have copies, just the announcement from the web site that they are now out, you can read a little of the intro there to, the first two pages i think are provided in a pdf.

Posted by: dleong99 (IP Logged)
Date: 3 August, 2006 03:12AM
This reprint is identical to the Arkham House, Neville Spearman, and Panther editions, right down to the fonts and pagination. The blurb on the back cover says that all 23 of the stories "were originally published in Weird Tales". Wrong. "The Door to Saturn", "The Coming of the White Worm", "The Demon of the Flower", "The Plutonian Drug", "The Letter from Mohaun Los", and "The Light From Beyond" never appeared in WT. (cf "Monthly Terrors: An Index to the Weird Fantasy Magazines Published in the United States and Great Britain" compiled by Frank H. Parnell with the assistance of Mike Ashley, Greenwood Press 1985.)

I've read VanderMeer's Intro several times and I can't help but get the impression that he really is ambivalent about CAS. He loves CAS' visionary aspects and hates his choice of words/style, judges much of CAS' work as pastiche, and frowns on CAS' lack of formal training.

For my money, I wish they had printed W.C. Farmer's interview in its place. This was a profound measure of CAS, the man ,the writer/poet laureate, and his work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page