Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
New Goodies....
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 1 August, 2006 11:46PM
Derrick Hussey over at Hippocampus Press informs me that paperback copies of THE FREEDOM OF FANTASTIC THINGS will be available next week. See [www.hippocampuspress.com].
Also, the long-delayed third issue of LOST WORLDS will also be out about the same time. Issue 4 is already prepared and will be out in October--really. Starting with issue three, LW goes to a new format, 8.5x11 inches, with a larger font size making it more reader-friendly. In addition, the Smith painting used on the front cover is reproduced inside as a full-size print. (Eventually we plan on issuing a color portfolio of Smith's paintings.) Highlights of LW 3 include an unpublished 108 line poem by CAS, "The Shadow of the Unattained," thought to have been lost; a memoir of CAS by a "mainstream" friend, William Whittingham Lyman, that was deposited at the Bancroft Library; a symposium on "The Red World of Polaris" and "The Face by the River," featuring Brian Stableford, Mike Ashley, Steve Behrends, Don Herron, and myself; plus more material by S. T. Joshi, Donald Sidney-Fryer, Dan Clore, Ron Hilger, and others. Go to [www.seele-brennt.com] for more information, or contact Gavin Smith from this list.
LW 4 will contain a variorum edition of "Necromancy in Naat" that will publish for the first time CAS's original version, showing what he changed, what he deleted, and what he added in the final published version. It will also contain a review-essay of the recently published correspondence between CAS and George Sterling, THE SHADOW OF THE UNATTAINED (yes, the title for the letter collection came from the poem printed in issue 3) by Donald Sidney-Fryer, and some more choice pieces of Casiana. This will be out in October--again, really.
Amazon.com lists the Bison Books edition of OUT OF SPACE AND TIME as being in-stock, although their website shows LOST WORLDS (Smith's second Arkham House collection) as still being "forthcoming."
And I'm still waiting for galleys for THE END OF THE STORY, the first of the Night Shade Smith books.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 1 Aug 06 | 11:46PM by Scott Connors.

Re: New Goodies....
Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 2 August, 2006 12:05AM
Excellent news, Scott!

Jim

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 2 August, 2006 12:33PM
YAY!!

Speaking of THE END OF THE STORY, here's the latest update from the Night Shade Books newsletter:

<<Clark Ashton Smith vol. 1 is nearing completion. The actual title will be "The End of the Story : The Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith vol. 1". Ramsey Campbell has agreed to do the introduction, which ought to be excellent. I can't wait to see what he's got to say.>>

Yrs
Martin

Date: 5 August, 2006 04:17AM
Yeah, Ramsey's intro should be good. He contacted _us_ about doing the intro, not the other way around, so I think that there is some real enthusiasm for things hyperborean over on the Mersey. I just wish that the @#$%^&* galleys would get here so I can get started on them!!!!!
Best,
Scott

Date: 7 August, 2006 05:04AM
Scott Connors Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, Ramsey's intro should be good. He contacted
> _us_ about doing the intro, not the other way
> around, so I think that there is some real
> enthusiasm for things hyperborean over on the
> Mersey.

Cool! Are the introduction writers for the other volumes decided upon yet?

> I just wish that the @#$%^&* galleys
> would get here so I can get started on them!!!!!

You're not alone in wishing that the galleys will reach you soon...

Yrs
Martin

Date: 8 August, 2006 06:22PM
The introductions for the other volumes are still rather nebulous and inchoate (how's _THAT_ for a Klarkash-Tonic response?!) Harlan Ellison wants to do one, so we have him penciled in for volume 5. China Mieville and Tim Powers are both on-board but were unable to do volume one because of the press of upcoming deadlines. Michael Chabon is interested but wants to see an actual book. Brian Stableford is a strong possibility, as is a well-known mainstream literary critic friendly to the genre, and M. John Harrison. Gene Wolfe was snagged for Bob Weinberg's "best of" volume, and Jeff Vandermeer for the Bison Books reprints of OST and LW. Incidentally, I received the first of these today, and was amused to see them list the copyright as _1971_!!!! By Neville Spearman no less!

Scott

Posted by: Gavin Callaghan (IP Logged)
Date: 9 August, 2006 06:45PM
Why not get Brian Aldiss to do an intro.? Just joking........

Date: 9 August, 2006 07:43PM
Gavin Callaghan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why not get Brian Aldiss to do an intro.? Just
> joking........

Only if I could use the same tools as the Inquisition in getting an obstinate heretic to renounce their Error. I think Aldiss would look great in a sanbenito--yellow _is_ definitely his color. (Just joking....or am I?)

Best,
Scott von Yondo

Date: 17 February, 2012 07:58AM
From the latest Hippocampus Press newsletter:

Quote:
Hippocampus Press
Also coming in hardcover this year, the Complete Poetry of George Sterling, and
the Letters of H. P. Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith.

Lovecraftian literary criticism comes in a collection of essays by Steven J.
Mariconda, who is also co-editor with S. T. Joshi of a new poetry anthology,
DREAMS OF FEAR, additionally due this year. And we have a few more nonfiction
surprises up our sleeve as well.

Date: 17 August, 2012 06:41AM
It seems that the collected Sterling poetry is just around the corner, according to a post by Gavin Smith on his mailing list. :)

Date: 11 February, 2013 01:40PM
Hippocampus Press have just announced the ToC for Dreams of Fear:

www.hippocampuspress.com/mythos-and-other-authors/poetry/dreams-of-fear-poetry-of-terror-and-the-supernatural

CAS is represented by "Ode to the Abyss", "The Eldritch Dark", "The Medusa of Despair", "The Tears of Lilith" and "A Vision of Lucifer".

Posted by: Gill Avila (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2013 11:42PM
I'm surprised Fritz Leiber jr isn't represented. I at least expected "The Demons of the Upper Air" would be included.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page