Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The Sword of Zagan
Posted by: Dr. W.C. Farmer (IP Logged)
Date: 20 November, 2002 09:29AM
To all Fans of CAS and this website: I just had a delightful weekend with
DereK Hussey of Hippocampus Press, and my documents, having been fully transcribed from Clark's manuscripts, are on their way to publication some
time next year. I hope you all enjoy them. The final tally includes
The novel "The Sword of Zagan", much like Black Diamonds but probably written about age 15 or 16 (has some serious love scenes); 14 poems,
6 short stories, 10 fragments, and my personal memoir of Clark. I am glad that the generosity of my heart donor's family may it possible for me to live to help these documents see the light of day - had the transplant not come in time to save my life, all these would surely have been lost.
Dr. Farmer

Re: The Sword of Zagan
Posted by: Martin Andersson (IP Logged)
Date: 20 November, 2002 01:29PM
This is truly great news!

Dr. Farmer, you have my sincerest thanks. I am looking forward very much to seeing this material in print -- especially your memoir.

I have now in front of me THE LAST OBLIVION. I read one page or two in it every day; more than that I can't handle. Sometimes I even have to lay the book down and shake my head in amazement at CAS's genius.

Yours,
Martin

Posted by: Ron Hilger (IP Logged)
Date: 29 November, 2002 07:51PM

I agree with Martin, this is great news indeed! I'm sure we're all looking forward to it. By the way, How do you pronounce "Zagan"? Is it ZAY-gun or Za-GAHN?
-Ron

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 30 November, 2002 01:20PM
In his adult coinages, Smith emphasized that the accent should fall on the ultimate or penultimate syllable, so it would be Za-GAHN. ZAY-gun sounds like something that Buck Rogers would carry if he had a lisp.
Best,
Scott

Date: 2 December, 2002 11:08PM
PS to the Good Doctor:
I hope that your book will also contain the photographs of Clark which you have, since they are simply delightful!
Best,
Scott

Posted by: dhussey (IP Logged)
Date: 2 January, 2004 02:48AM
Just a note to remark that the book is at the printer, and yes, it does include Dr. F's photos of CAS, including Clark's favorite view of himself, which is reproduced in full color on the back cover. The other two, (I call them "picnic" and "shed") are inside along with the memoir.

Incidentally, there's some CAS and Zagan content in a new interview with me at [www.themodernword.com] .

Best regards,
Derrick

Posted by: Raven10 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2006 05:58AM
Like many CAS fans, I'm looking forward to the availability of this new material. This brings me to a question. Are there many short stories left by Clark Ashton Smith, which might be published in the future? Also, did he produce many novels or long stories? As a novice regarding the work of this author, it would be much appreciated if you could let me know.

Regards

Julian (aka Raven10)

Julian L Hawksworth

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2006 06:22AM
Raven10 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Like many CAS fans, I'm looking forward to the
> availability of this new material.

It is available. Check out www.hippocampuspress.com

> This brings me
> to a question. Are there many short stories left
> by Clark Ashton Smith, which might be published in
> the future?

None that I know of, but you never know -- lost stories do surface now and then.

> Also, did he produce many novels or
> long stories?

No novels except "The Black Diamonds" which he wrote in his teens.

Yrs
Martin

Date: 23 February, 2006 12:06PM
Raven10 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Like many CAS fans, I'm looking forward to the
> availability of this new material. This brings me
> to a question. Are there many short stories left
> by Clark Ashton Smith, which might be published in
> the future? Also, did he produce many novels or
> long stories? As a novice regarding the work of
> this author, it would be much appreciated if you
> could let me know.
>
>
> Regards
>
> Julian (aka Raven10)
>
> Julian L Hawksworth

Julian,
We discovered two Smith stories thought to be lost a few years ago. These are "The Red World of Polaris" and "The Face by the River." There are three other stories known to have been completed by CAS whose locations are unknown. These are "Like Mohammed's Tomb," a sf tale that, like "Red World," was sold to a fan named Michael de Angelis in the early 1950s, only to disappear along with de Angelis, and two stories that CAS gave to E. Hoffmann Price to rewrite and sell as best he could. Price did so and published them under his own name in the so-called "Spicy" magazines, and then he claims to have destroyed the original versions. There is still a possibility that these might surface among Price's papers sometime.

Best wishes,
Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page