Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234AllNext
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Any Writer's out their if so...
Posted by: K_A_Opperman (IP Logged)
Date: 22 August, 2011 01:14PM
Quote:
Calonlan
The web site I gave you earlier at Lexfiles.com will, if you master the "thrust" of the meaning of the 14 prefixes and roots, be more useful than 2 years of Latin, and a hell of a lot quicker

I have visited said website and find it very interesting and very helpful. Happily, I seem already to have a decent grasp of the majority of what's there, but not all of it; and I am a firm believer in the notion that 'masters practice the basics.'

Just as one can better learn English through studying Latin, so too can one with a good knowledge of Latinate English words gain considerable insight into the language. Whichever one studies, they will learn something about the other. How very economical--I love it!

I will also mention a favorite word-site of mine--The Phrontistery: [phrontistery.info]

It's full of words you will never need to know--the best kind, in my opinion! Of course, if one is a rhyming poet, one can never know enough words...I have occasionally had to call upon some obscure words to find the perfect rhyme...

The 'Compendium of Lost Words' at The Phrontistery is particularly interesting: [phrontistery.info]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 22 Aug 11 | 01:27PM by K_A_Opperman.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 22 August, 2011 03:28PM
Relative to my recommending the film "1900" - I also recommend Menotti's little opera, "The Medium" - this first appeared in my junior HS year, when I had become very good friends with Clark Aston - my HS choral teacher (a first class musician, pianist, and former accompanist to prominent opera singers on concert tour) brought in an LP recording and played it for us - it was bone-chilling, and wonderful - long story short: I had told Clark how I loved the poem that starts, "The sunset gonfalons are furled..." , and I suppose surprised him by knowing what a "gonfalon" was (in the old days, we studied the spanish invasion of the americas in great detail and learned about ships and such) - an image I still cherish for its majestic vision - anyway, I shared with him the words to the wonderful Soprano, Alto duet in that opera - "The sun is dying and it lies in blood, the moon is weaving bandages of gold - Oh,Black Swan, where, oh where has my lover gone -- torn and tattered is my bridal gown, and my lamp is lost, and my lamp is lost..." This is done as a gypsy lament, and in the show is interrupted suddenly by a spectral disembodied voice -"mother,mother - are you there?" - I recommend listening to it on a CD before watching the video - the best role in the show is Toby, a mute gypsy boy - wonderful stuff - Clark loved it -

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 22 August, 2011 03:29PM
calonlan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Relative to my recommending the film "1900" - I
> also recommend Menotti's little opera, "The
> Medium" - this first appeared in my junior HS
> year, when I had become very good friends with
> Clark Aston - my HS choral teacher (a first class
> musician, pianist, and former accompanist to
> prominent opera singers on concert tour) brought
> in an LP recording and played it for us - it was
> bone-chilling, and wonderful - long story short: I
> had told Clark how I loved the poem that starts,
> "The sunset gonfalons are furled..." , and I
> suppose surprised him by knowing what a "gonfalon"
> was (in the old days, we studied the spanish
> invasion of the americas in great detail and
> learned about ships and such) - an image I still
> cherish for its majestic vision - anyway, I shared
> with him the words to the wonderful Soprano, Alto
> duet in that opera - "The sun is dying and it lies
> in blood, the moon is weaving bandages of gold -
> Oh,Black Swan, where, oh where has my lover gone
> -- torn and tattered is my bridal gown, and my
> lamp is lost, and my lamp is lost..." This is done
> as a gypsy lament, and in the show is interrupted
> suddenly by a spectral disembodied voice
> -"mother,mother - are you there?" - I recommend
> listening to it on a CD before watching the video
> - the best role in the show is Toby, a mute gypsy
> boy - wonderful stuff - Clark loved it -

post script to the above - thanks for stirring a long lost memory -

Date: 22 August, 2011 06:36PM
I don't know if you mean to say that I have stirred from the tenebrous vaults of your mind the above memory; but at any rate, it appears that you are the sole conjurer--but perhaps I have acted as some sort of Nathaire's mirror to show you what is in thine own head?

"The Medium" sounds interesting, and the lyrics strike me favorably. I must confess total ignorance to the realm of opera, but not because of being averse to it--I can appreciate a little drama. I'm really not as 'cultured' as I should be--I suspect I may be the least cultured here! I'll blame that on the short amount of time I've occupied this planet...but that excuse grows less viable every day...my birthday looms nigh...I will have attained the age corresponding with the agency which increases it...I do love riddles!

Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 22 August, 2011 06:53PM
I will second the recommendation of THE MEDIUM. A friend of mine in high school used to sing "The Black Swan" at recitals, and the work is worth hearing just for that beautiful song. This happens to be the Menotti centennial year, which means that a lot of vintage recordings of his work have been appearing. If you can do without a libretto, the European branch of Naxos has been reissuing recordings of the earlier Menotti operas made shortly after their premieres in decent monaural sound. THE MEDIUM was originally staged with a slightly shorter comic pendant, THE TELEPHONE, which is just as frothy as THE MEDIUM is grim. There is not much to it, but it gives the soprano soloist a chance to burble along like a giddy nightingale for long stretches at a time. The Naxos release pairs these on one remarkably inexpensive disc (check them out at MDT or Grooves.com). Two other pairings have each taken up two (inexpensive) discs in the same series: THE CONSUL with AMELIA AT THE BALL, and THE SAINT OF BLEECKER STREET with the madrigal-cantata THE UNICORN, THE GORGON, AND THE MANTICHORE.

Jim

Date: 22 August, 2011 07:09PM
My suspicions are confirmed--I am the least cultured here...by far. I have no idea what you good fellows are talking about--but I am very open to discovering new things. Speaking of Naxos, I think I have a couple of cd's from that label--medieval stuff. Yes, I have an "Ensemble Unicorn" cd titled "Chominciamento di gioia--Virtuoso dance-music from the time of Boccaccio's Decamerone." It's not bad, but I find the recorder player a little 'busy' and repetitive. But since I am highly fond of the recorder, I am able to overlook this.

Well, I guess I am slightly cultured...I own something with Italian writing on it. Eh? Eh? That counts for somethin', don't it fellas?

Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 22 August, 2011 07:25PM
Of course it does. The most fascinating disc I have heard by The Unicorn Ensemble is their Naxos disc of songs and instrumental music by Alexander Agricola, a(n apparent) pupil of Ockeghem that took the wilder aspects of his teacher, resulting in some fascinating, intricate, and barely predictable polyphonic fantasies that offer some striking contrasts to the more refined, if equally intricate approach of Josquin Des Prez. Great fun!

Date: 22 August, 2011 08:02PM
Jim, do you refer to "Agricola: Fortuna desperata"? Trying to find it on Amazon.

Posted by: Absquatch (IP Logged)
Date: 22 August, 2011 08:05PM
In a similar vein, I would highly recommend this recording of authentic tarantellas by the Atrium Musicae de Madrid.

Date: 22 August, 2011 08:28PM
Looks very intriguing, Absquatch (who could resist that cover art?!) I have a cd called "Lute Music for Witches and Alchemists" which includes a tarantella by Athanasius Kircher (it's one of my favorites on the disc, and I often find myself playing the melody on my guitar...no tarantula will ever phase me...). According to the fascinating liner notes, it was a "musical remedy against the venom of the tarantula." The occult side of music has always interested me.

Hmmm, I get the feeling a new topic should have been started...

Just found one of the songs on youtube! [www.youtube.com]

Yes, yes, yes! This stuff is definitely down my alley. Must Acquire cd. Cd is somewhat rare. Have no money. Damn! Damn! Damn!

Actually, this is one of the best songs I've heard in a long time...thanks much, Absquatch! Now I want to learn it on guitar!

Almost sounds like there's an ocarina in there(I play it, sort of), or is it just me...?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 22 Aug 11 | 08:43PM by K_A_Opperman.

Date: 22 August, 2011 08:53PM
I am glad that you enjoyed it. I imagine that the CD is obtainable at a reasonable price, somewhere. On the piece you mentioned, I love the use of the Crumhorns to state the main theme.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22 Aug 11 | 08:57PM by Absquatch.

Date: 22 August, 2011 09:09PM
Yes, I love, love, love, love, love crumhorns!!! To me, they are the essence of medieval pomp.

Here is the tarantella to which I earlier referred: [www.youtube.com]

Just curious, are you familiar with the 70's prog rock act Gryphon? Their album, "Red Queen to Gryphon Three," 'loosely based on a chess game,' and thoroughly medieval in flavor and instrumentation (they use crumhorns), is perhaps my favorite 'rock' album of all time. It can be listened to in its entirety on youtube if you're not familiar with it. "Lament" is perhaps my favorite of the 4 10 min. long songs, but I'm a total sucker for "Opening Move" as well.

I'll also mention my other 'favorite rock album of all time'--"Romantic Warrior," by Return to Forever. Medieval in theme, but not really in execution. Still, the music is highly imaginitive, and executed with supreme skill. Saw them live for a reunion tour in LA couple years back.

Third favorite is "Lark's Tongues in Aspic" by King Crimson. It ain't medieval, but it is evil--in the very best of ways.

Date: 22 August, 2011 09:16PM
It's official, this topic has been hijacked by the crumhorn! Rejoice, ye merry lords and--well, just lords, I suppose.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: 22 August, 2011 09:37PM
Quick notes: I have every Gryphon album ever recorded.

And 1973-74 King Crimson is among my very favorites. There's an excellent book (scroll down) that analyzes Lark's Tongues... in depth, but it's heavily musicological.

Date: 22 August, 2011 10:13PM
I had a mystical feeling you would know these bands. I am jealous of you, sir--I only have "Red Queen." I really would like to acquire their first and second albums as well. How about Return to Forever? The Mahavishnu Orchestra? And I'll bet you're well versed in Genesis, ELP, Gentle Giant?

Never heard of that book, but it looks highly interesting--actually, I always used to say one could write an entire book on it! Looks like someone did. I can handle musicological lingo--but there is that point where it loses me. But talk of augmented 5ths, Dorian modes, hypophrygian modes, tritones, 6/8 time--none of this phases me in the slightest. Nor am I completely blind to musical notation. You must realize, after all, that you are dealing with someone who knows what a Tierce de Picardie is...

Goto Page: Previous1234AllNext
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page