Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Challisse in Averoigne?
Posted by: valvorik (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2007 03:21PM
The Worlds of Cthulhu RPG magazine published a gazette of Averoigne, in which there is a Chateau de Challisse and an entry about a family whose males are cursed to die by 33.

Is that an addition of its authors? I can't find a Challisse in CAS's Averoigne works.

Re: Challisse in Averoigne?
Posted by: Boyd (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2007 03:56PM
There's no Challisse in CAS, but the cursed to die by 33 rings a bell, maybe it's in a piece of fan fiction somewhere. I suspect some one else will have a better answer.

Posted by: NightHalo (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2007 06:59PM
Mini factoid/myth: I think age 33 in literature is a reference to the supposed age of Jesus when he died, so it is interesting that these characters are cursed to die at the same age.

Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2007 12:28AM
There is the early Lovecraft tale, "The Alchemist", where the males don't live past 32.

*Author of Strange Gardens [www.lulu.com]

*Editor of Calenture: a Journal of Studies in Speculative Verse [calenture.fcpages.com]

*Visit my homepage: [voleboy.freewebpages.org]

Posted by: valvorik (IP Logged)
Date: 15 January, 2007 05:46PM
Thanks, that helped answer the question.

The Lovecraft story doesn't mention Averoigne or the name Challisse, the protagonist's last name is given as C-, and the story does concern a "curse" exactly of that sort originating in medieval France with the wrongful killing of a sorcerer.

Thanks for helping me in that direction.

Posted by: rutledge_442 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2007 04:59PM
"The Alchemist" is probably one of my favorite Lovecraft stories.

Posted by: DanHarms (IP Logged)
Date: 30 January, 2007 12:02PM
I was one of the authors of that piece. Yes, it was indeed the intent to refer to Lovecraft's "The Alchemist" there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page