Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Reviews of THE END OF THE STORY
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 2 February, 2007 07:29PM
Okay, new thread: as reviews show up for THE END OF THE STORY and others in the NSB series, I'm posting them here; and if anyone else finds something that I missed, please feel free to add it. First off is Rick Kleffel's "Agony Column" for January 16, 2007: [trashotron.com]

Beginning at the Beginning

When I saw 'The End of the Story: Volume One of the Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith' (Night Shade Books ; April 10, 2007; $39.95), edited by Scott Connors and Ron Hilger, I thought in theory that though this was a book I would certainly want, it might not be a book I'd need. But alas, I have the book to hand, not just in theory. The book in fact, words and all, suggests that it's beyond desire, beyond need. It is required.

I don’t say that lightly. Clark Ashton Smith has long been one of my favorite writers from the Old Weird generation. You know, H. P. Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, Lord Dunsany. The Old Weird. I can still see in my mind the huge book rack they had at the Lucky Store in Covina, California. That's where I bought a substantial number of the original Bantam Adult Fantasy series, edited if I'm not mistaken by Lin Carter. 'Fungi from Yuggoth', poems by H. P. Lovecraft. 'At the Edge of the World', short stories by Lord Dunsany. And 'Poseidonis' by Clark Ashton Smith.

These books were supreme enablers. They led me directly to the Arkham House editions of Lovecraft, the first hardcovers I purchased that I really, really cared about. And thence unto the now.

Enablers. And when you get drugs as good as 'A Rendezvous in Averoigne', the 1988 omnibus from Arkham House, edited by the late Jim Turner, illustrated by J. K. Potter, I'm telling you, it's a hard high to top. That's the sort of volume that should really be in every book-lover's collection, regardless of your tastes. The combination of Smith's ornate prose, Arkham's pristine production and Potter's surreal mind-captures create a reading experience like no other.

And thus it remains. But Night Shade knows their way around the Old Weird better than anybody out there, and this new series of books promises to be beyond mere desire. They are not a nice-to-have, but a need-to-have. Yes, you still need the Arkham House, to be sure. But, alas, Smith's addictive prose is drug-like, and the architecture of this series promises to make it indispensable. Let Arkham House be the executive summary. Let Night Shade be the contact itself.

You're not reading this column because you can take it or leave it when it comes to reading unusual and under-publicized fiction. There are a couple of reasons that make 'The End of the Story' the beginning of a beautiful addiction. The first is the methodical architecture of the series. There will be five books, we're told, so the total investment is $200. This seems a very reasonable price to me; I've paid that much for single volumes worth, in retrospect, much less in terms of re-reading pleasure. But here's the Big Appeal, part one. The stories are offered in the order of composition, based on Smith's notes. For me, this is ideal. As a reader, I like to experience a writer's work in the chronological order in which it was composed, so that I, as a reader can get to know a writer, to watch them grow and see their style change. This then, makes that possible and easy for Clark Ashton Smith. While I like the typical trend of grouping the stories by theme, and that is indeed an excellent way to read them in order to become familiar with Smith's worlds, this collection offers readers the chance to become familiar with Smith himself as a writer. This alone puts this in the required column.

But editors Connor and Hilger, in association with Jeremy Lassen and Jason Williams at Night Shade, have done much more than this. They've taken advantage of the generosity of Arkham House itself as well as the Smith estate, to create the ultimate compendium of Smith's work. Look, you're reading the stories here to experience the man as well as his worlds, and to that end what do you want? Extensive story notes, the sort of literary detective work that comes at the back of this volume. The kind of well-written, informative and thoroughly documented notes you find here are exemplars, and themselves sort of short stories. Reading the story, then the notes, you'll embark on a dual journey, into the world created and the mind of, the world of, the world's creator. This is fascinating stuff, and very different reading experience from that of the Arkham House. Connor, Hilger and Night Shade are to be congratulated.

If you've made it this far without pre-ordering, then you’re made of sterner stuff than I. Perhaps this is because you didn't stand there in the Lucky's Grocery Store in 1970 and stare at the racks, your mind full of idiocy and wonder. Perhaps you never bought the 1988 omnibus edition, never had the chance to luxuriate in Smith's prose and Potter's visions. Well, Lucky's is not more, so no luck there. But you if you've somehow missed Smith altogether, then you can still find copies of the justifiably iconic 'Rendezvous in Averoigne'. It'll set you back some $34-$100. Buy it and read it, and then step outside your door. Raise your arms to the skies and curse the day you read this and me as well. Then step inside and order this volume. Sign up for the whole series. Better to buy it now, new, than later, used and much more expensive. It's not what you want; it's what you need.

Re: Reviews of THE END OF THE STORY
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 3 February, 2007 12:58PM
High praise deserved my friends -- the reviewer seems to be in his 40's and so a contemporary with many of you whe I met. It is marvelous to read of how this man found Smith et al at a "Lucky" store - it gives me a lot of pleasure to hear stories of how different folk found Clark, and to see the near reverence in which much of his work and the man himself are held by the younger generation of devotees. I had thought Clark lost to the world nearly, until my brother found this website. Since Clark liked to borrow and re-work well known quotations, I'll give you this: Blessed are those who have seen -- how much more blessed, those who have not seen, and yet believe --

Date: 3 February, 2007 06:13PM
We also have reviews of CAS coming from a couple of extremely high profile national publications, including one by a Pulitzer Prize winner. More details once these appear.

Scott

Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 4 February, 2007 10:56AM
Well-deserved praise, indeed. I had extremely high expectations for these volumes, and thanks to you, Ron, Jason Hollander, and the folks at Night Shade, you have exceeded them. Waiting for the first book of the five was difficult, waiting for the next four is going to be excruciating.

On a related topic, I hope we are going to see reviews of THE FREEDOM OF FANTASTIC THINGS soon. The only one I have been able to find so far is on Amazon UK, is not the least bit accurate - if you believe this fellow, all of the articles except those by Brian Stableford and Stefan Dziemianowicz do little more than recap the plots of the stories. Did he read the same book I read?

Jim

Jim

Date: 5 February, 2007 01:50AM
We sent review copies of FFT around to the usual suspects, such as Gahan Wilson at Realms of Fantasy. Darrell Schweitzer is supposed to do a review of it along with The End of the Story for the NY Review of SF, and copies were sent to pubs like Extrapolation and Para-Doxa. Also, I had copies sent to the two individuals alluded to in my earlier post. So hey! we're tryin'!
As for reviews on Amazon, I saw the one on the UK site and didn't think it was too bad (maybe because he had nice things to say about my essay on modernism, although he didn't mention it by name). A friend of ours from Michigan with a hobbitt fixation said that he'd post a review, so maybe we need to nudge hima bit!
Still waiting for the PW review, which should be good since the reviewer is a well-known anthologist and Smith admirer.
Best,
Scott

Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 7 February, 2007 08:16PM
There was also a copy of FFT that was sent to SFReader.com as well. It was to be my copy, as part of the lifetime subscription to Hippocampus that I paid for, but I decided that the possibility of another review was well worth it (besides, I already had my contributor's copies).

*Author of Strange Gardens [www.lulu.com]

*Editor of Calenture: a Journal of Studies in Speculative Verse [calenture.fcpages.com]

*Visit my homepage: [voleboy.freewebpages.org]

Date: 16 February, 2007 02:22AM
Washington Post Book World will run a review of EOTS in its February 18 issue, written by the Pulitzer-Prize winning critic Michael Dirda (a big fan of HPL, REH, M. R. James, and now CAS).

Best,
Scott

Date: 16 February, 2007 06:21AM
Thanks, Scott. I look forward to seeing that review.

Jim

Date: 16 February, 2007 10:34PM
BTW, while it's not a review of The End of the Story, I just discovered a review of Star Changes that appeared in Realms of Fantasy (August 2006), written by Gahan Wilson:

[www.rofmagazine.com]

Scott

Date: 17 February, 2007 08:31AM
Congratulations, Scott. I try to keep an eye out for relevant reviews at the newsstand, but this one slipped past me.

Jim

Date: 17 February, 2007 12:41PM
Michael Dirda's review from the Washington Post Book World may be found online at [tinyurl.com], It is a good one!

Best,
Scott

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2007 06:01PM
I've always found Michael Dirda's reviews of fantastic fiction to be insightful and intelligent, and this is no exception.

Arrgghh!! My own copy of The End of the Story hasn't shown up yet, but then again, this is Sweden, so it probably won't appear for quite a while. :-(

Yrs
Martin

Posted by: Steven Fama (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2007 08:54PM
Dirda's review in the Washington Post is well done, and definitely good for CAS. Yet it is oddly ambiguous about the Nightshade book. Dirda obviously welcomes the book, and praises it, yet ultimately he advises readers not to buy it, but to start with other collections and then move on to the poetry.

Date: 19 February, 2007 09:02PM
Dirda's review will undoubtedly give CAS himself a big boost in critical and popular acceptance, and if it starts by selling more of the Bison or Arkham editions, ultimately it will sell more of the Night Shade as people become addicted to his lush and exotic prose--and then where are they to go to get more? It's not that he doesn't like what we did, it's that he recognizes that it might not be the best place to start, but it is the place to finish. Also, Arkham House still has a lot of copies of A Rendezvous in Averoigne to sell, and I don't want the Night Shade edition to cause them to become white elephants (white worms?) They could have easily refused permission for us to publish while they had the book in print, but to their credit they did not.

Scott

Posted by: deuce (IP Logged)
Date: 17 March, 2007 10:32AM
Hey Scott! Thought "EotS" was wonderful and said so on conan.com. Eagerly awaiting the next volume.

BTW, I haven't been on innercircle because Yahoo made me change my password and then wouldn't accept my new one (which they generated and gave me). They, so far, haven't returned my emails.

Goto Page: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page