Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
update on cds
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 4 March, 2007 10:19AM
Dear Friends of CAS:

We are keenly awaiting the arrival of DSF on the 13th of Mar.
We will be recording Sandalwood primarily -- down the road we may accomplish more, as we believe a discography by those who knew him may have some lasting value.
While Don is here, he wishes to record Nora Mae French, and some additional pieces.
If these would be of interest let me know.
I also intend to record some pieces that Clark loved by other poets, and which he particularly enjoyed my readings - Reid, Auden, Thomas - and possibly the Rubaiyat.
We recited the entirety of that work one evening taking turns -(my memory was better then) - Clark had memorized the Fitzgerald translation - I knew a newer one.
We may also consider recording his play if time permits.
I would like to be able to issue whatever we do as a set for some realistic price to cover our costs (travel, shipping, production costs) - I hope you who are interested in this project, will enjoy the results.
I cut the first two poems from Sandalwood and sent a copy to Don for his opinion on sound quality, and he responded most enthusiastically as to both the reading and the sound. So far, we have one guest from San Antonio joining us on St. Patrick's day who is a regular visitor to this site. Any others are surely welcome.
Side Bar: If you haven't read Don's third in his Songs and Sonnets Atlantean trilogy you should - It is really quite good, and has some charming touches of whimsy reminescent of Clark.

Re: update on cds
Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 4 March, 2007 05:33PM
I, for one, am interested. Also for the Nora Mae French pieces.

I also agree about S&S Atlantean 3 as well

Phillip

Posted by: deuce (IP Logged)
Date: 17 March, 2007 10:26AM
I'd also like to purchase a cd if such becomes available.

Date: 18 March, 2007 09:34AM
Don and I are having a great time doing the recordings. At this point it appears there will be several CD's available. We have completed "Sandalwood",
"The Hill of Dionysus", and are beginning "Ebony and Crystal" -- I expect to get several Nora Mae French poems in also. I have started and will finish later reading several of Clark's favorite poems that we shared when we were together.
I think you will particularly enjoy "Chard Witlow" by Henry Reid, and 'Naming of Parts." When we have them mixed down and burned on to a master, I hope to print a nice label for each, and a brochure to accompany each set. It seems likely we will issue them in two CD sets. A boxed set might be a possibility depending on cost. For those of you who buy them, I strongly urge you not to listen straight through but to pick and choose, sample, one or two tracks and take time to ponder and reflect. Our own re-reading has often been so moving to us as to cause us to stop and reminesce over this old friend's amazing skill and insight.
Dr. Farmer and Don

Date: 18 March, 2007 09:37AM
PS: We missed you Mr. Amonson

and, Don sends his kindest regards to Ron and Scott -

Date: 18 March, 2007 04:31PM
Please say a g'day from Australia to Don, from me.

Best of luck with the cds,

Phillip

*Author of Strange Gardens [www.lulu.com]

*Editor of Calenture: a Journal of Studies in Speculative Verse [calenture.fcpages.com]

*Visit my homepage: [voleboy.freewebpages.org]

Date: 20 March, 2007 08:43AM
Dear Phil et al - g'day indeed to you -

Thus far, we have done all of Star Treader, Ebony and Crystal (exempting Hashish Eater since it exitsts elsewhere quite well done), Hill of Dionysus, A selection of Smith favorites from my recollections, and today are adding Nora May French.
This work will encompall 8 or 9 CD's, and has been an exhilerating and tiring effort by two old guys who have thrilled to the renewal of memories of our first reading of these works so many years ago when we were priveleged to know the master himself. We also included "Temporality" which had turned up in my collection of Juvenilia published as Sword of Zagan. Often in reading we have found ourselves deeply moved and amused -- had a lot of fun with "the Ghoul and the Seraph" -
Will not have found the people to do The Masque of Forgotten Gods, or The Dead will Cuckold You - perhaps can get to them later - At any rate, we hope, as they become published and available you who acquire them will appreciate this contribution. We have both rediscovered the essential necessity of hearing the works aloud. I recommend not reading along while listening, just listen; then read; then listen again. The power, insight, pathos, and passion of Clark's work deserves close attention at a deep level - and don't try to do it all at one sitting. I would recommend spending a day, now and then, off and on, with one track at a time.

Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2007 04:44PM
Hello to both Dr F. and DSF, sounds as though you two are having a great time and getting a lot recorded. "The Ghoul and the Seraph" is a favorite of mine; I'm curious as to who was the Ghoul and who the Seraph while reading this dialogue???

"There is no life, save that its food be death"

Best regards and be sure to keep us posted . . .

Ron

Date: 21 March, 2007 06:49AM
Don, of course was the Seraph and I the Ghoul - I created two old english style ballads in a minor key for the songs - great sport -

Date: 22 March, 2007 01:48AM
Great sport indeed.

Any chance of getting a review copy when they're ready? *hint hint*

Date: 25 March, 2007 10:08AM
Haven't thought about a "review" - we intend to copyright the cd's and there will be about 10 - Ebony and crystal will be a set of 4 for example. We had some trouble with Nora Mae French and may have lost some of it. But my expert may be able to fix that. Most commonly we took turns or read verses alternately to stave off exhaustion. I find the differing styles of interpretation very interesting indeed.
In my college days, we formed a "marathon" club where we would read entire works at one sitting - Chaucer, Spenser, Milton, Jonson, S'peare's sonnets, Beowulf in Anglo-Saxon -- the Everest's of lit. The experience Don and I just finished is quite similar - and in memory of Clark, we put away a bottle of Burgundy (unfortunately Loomis Burgundy at .65cents a gallon is no longer available), each glass half wine, half water and called a California Cooler by Clark and company in the '50s, his preferred mode of consuming wine (not from the bottle as shown joking around in the photo I took on the beach at Pacific Grove.).

Posted by: walrus (IP Logged)
Date: 29 March, 2007 04:19AM
calonlan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Haven't thought about a "review" - we intend to
> copyright the cd's and there will be about 10 -
> Ebony and crystal will be a set of 4 for example.
> We had some trouble with Nora Mae French and may
> have lost some of it. But my expert may be able
> to fix that. Most commonly we took turns or read
> verses alternately to stave off exhaustion. I
> find the differing styles of interpretation very
> interesting indeed.
> In my college days, we formed a "marathon" club
> where we would read entire works at one sitting -
> Chaucer, Spenser, Milton, Jonson, S'peare's
> sonnets, Beowulf in Anglo-Saxon -- the Everest's
> of lit. The experience Don and I just finished is
> quite similar - and in memory of Clark, we put
> away a bottle of Burgundy (unfortunately Loomis
> Burgundy at .65cents a gallon is no longer
> available), each glass half wine, half water and
> called a California Cooler by Clark and company in
> the '50s, his preferred mode of consuming wine
> (not from the bottle as shown joking around in the
> photo I took on the beach at Pacific Grove.).

How about releasing these on DVD? That would cut down the number of discs, and thus also production, packaging and shipping costs. Everything would probably fit on one or two DVDs.

Juha-Matti

A message to Dr Farmer
Posted by: Chipougne (IP Logged)
Date: 17 April, 2007 12:32PM
Sorry to post a personal message here, but Dr Farmer, the email address I used last time I wrote to you seems to be no longer valid. Could you please let me know your new adress by using this online form ?

[clefargent.free.fr]

Philippe Gindre

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page