Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Lovecraft letters to Barlow
Posted by: jdworth (IP Logged)
Date: 2 August, 2007 12:11PM
Hi, folks.

Well, for those interested, I just spoke to the University of Tampa Press and, yes, the volume of Lovecraft's letters to Barlow is coming out this fall (probably around October), and they are accepting preorders. Anyone interested may contact them via this information:

[utpress.ut.edu]

Cheers!

EDIT: Just got an email from them, saying that they will be giving a 10% discount off the regular price ($40 for the regular edition; the 26-copy signed, limited edition has not yet been priced).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2 Aug 07 | 12:27PM by jdworth.

Re: Lovecraft letters to Barlow
Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 3 October, 2007 03:19PM
The book is now listed in the UT Press catalogue:

[utpress.ut.edu]

And here's the limited:

[utpress.ut.edu]

Posted by: walrus (IP Logged)
Date: 5 October, 2007 11:47AM
Ah, I only now realised this was a hardback -- that figures why the ltd. edition seemed so expensive!

Juha-Matti

Date: 23 November, 2007 07:54AM
I learned today from Gavin Smith that U of Tampa Press has received the book from the printers (the limited is not available yet, though).

Posted by: Vance Pollock (IP Logged)
Date: 28 December, 2007 12:37AM
Got my copy for Christmas and read way into the night. Interesting stuff... and very conversational. The autobiographical notes by Barlow were quite sad, almost a premonition of his suicidal end. The guy was obviously quite brilliant, and also quite disturbed. The introduction was spot on and the index is very detailed and makes the book a very useful reference title. The appendices with stories referenced and the bibliography make this one of the most well-organized and thorough presentations one could hope for.

I only have a couple of modest complaints... There are a number of references to photographs which I wish had been footnoted if not reprinted. The photograph of Barlow standing by the chimney of the cypress log house in Cassia, FL (see my thread on Dunrovin' in this forum) is dated "circa 1931" though it can hardly be earlier than mid-1933 when the house was built. There is a reference to Lovecraft's letters to "Eunice" Barlow being included. This was a slight mistake. The only postcard to Mrs. Barlow that I have run across thus far is addressed to "Mrs. E. D. Barlow," actually her husband's initials. Her name, Bernice, must have been mistakenly crossed up with Major Everett's first initial to come up with Eunice, which is not correct.

There is mention that only 7 of RHB's letters to Lovecraft survive (HPL was not the fanatical pack-rat that Bobby Barlow was, mentioning in some letters his habit of keeping only choice pieces of correspondence). I wish that these had been included in proper chronology. It would have helped me get a mental hold on the tone of Barlow's letters so that I could at least imagine more vividly what the other side of the dialogue might have been like.

Perhaps a future issue of Lovecraft studies or some fanzine, or even a good forum article might address these little mysteries. The book is certainly worthy of close attention, especially among HPL's modern "cracker" readers. It left me with a great sense of pride that I come from a long line of Floridians.

One last item that jumps to mind. There is repeated reference to a sculpture of Cthulhu made by Barlow and photographs of it which HPL proudly shared. Does this artifact, or one of the photographs, exist? I also noticed HPL in refering to the photograph calls Cthulhu by the nickname Clulie. This gives me a more exact feel for how HPL must have intended the name to be pronounced... the 'cth' at the front sounding more like a 'click' than a hard 'T.'

Date: 28 December, 2007 06:03AM
Vance Pollock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Got my copy for Christmas and read way into the
> night. Interesting stuff... and very
> conversational.

I agree. I got it last week and have been reading it on and off since then (I've now reached early 1935).

> The autobiographical notes by
> Barlow were quite sad, almost a premonition of his
> suicidal end. The guy was obviously quite
> brilliant, and also quite disturbed. The
> introduction was spot on and the index is very
> detailed and makes the book a very useful
> reference title. The appendices with stories
> referenced and the bibliography make this one of
> the most well-organized and thorough presentations
> one could hope for.

Absolutely! It's a magnificent book.

>
> I only have a couple of modest complaints... There
> are a number of references to photographs which I
> wish had been footnoted if not reprinted. The
> photograph of Barlow standing by the chimney of
> the cypress log house in Cassia, FL (see my thread
> on Dunrovin' in this forum) is dated "circa 1931"
> though it can hardly be earlier than mid-1933 when
> the house was built. There is a reference to
> Lovecraft's letters to "Eunice" Barlow being
> included. This was a slight mistake. The only
> postcard to Mrs. Barlow that I have run across
> thus far is addressed to "Mrs. E. D. Barlow,"
> actually her husband's initials. Her name,
> Bernice, must have been mistakenly crossed up with
> Major Everett's first initial to come up with
> Eunice, which is not correct.

I've noticed one possible mistranscription (p. 24, 3rd line from bottom), and some dates are off -- in the list in the back, Mrs. Clark's birth year is given as 1847; in the notes, Sime's death year is given as 1942 (it's 1941) and Utpatel's birth year is given as 1908 (it's 1905; correct in the list). On p. 170 a note reference for Kingsport is given, but there is no actual note. And in the index, the one reference for Alice Sheppard is given as 357n7, but it should be 357n8.

>
> There is mention that only 7 of RHB's letters to
> Lovecraft survive (HPL was not the fanatical
> pack-rat that Bobby Barlow was, mentioning in some
> letters his habit of keeping only choice pieces of
> correspondence). I wish that these had been
> included in proper chronology. It would have
> helped me get a mental hold on the tone of
> Barlow's letters so that I could at least imagine
> more vividly what the other side of the dialogue
> might have been like.

Yes, that sure would have been nice. BTW, I noticed that [chrisperridas.blogspot.com] is listing Lovecraft's Christmas card (1934) to Barlow; it's not in O FORTUNATE FLORIDIAN, but on the other hand there doesn't seem to be any writing on it except Lovecraft's monogram and the date MDCCCCXXXIV.

>
> Perhaps a future issue of Lovecraft studies or
> some fanzine, or even a good forum article might
> address these little mysteries. The book is
> certainly worthy of close attention, especially
> among HPL's modern "cracker" readers. It left me
> with a great sense of pride that I come from a
> long line of Floridians.
>
> One last item that jumps to mind. There is
> repeated reference to a sculpture of Cthulhu made
> by Barlow and photographs of it which HPL proudly
> shared. Does this artifact, or one of the
> photographs, exist? I also noticed HPL in refering
> to the photograph calls Cthulhu by the nickname
> Clulie. This gives me a more exact feel for how
> HPL must have intended the name to be
> pronounced... the 'cth' at the front sounding more
> like a 'click' than a hard 'T.'

I think that one of HPL's friends -- it may have been Wandrei -- refers to HPL's pronunciation of Cthulhu in his memoir.
Yes, a photo of "Clulie" would have been nice. :-) Come to think of it, an entire Lovecraftian photo album would be nice. There are so many nice photographs of Lovecraft, his family, his correspondents, and places associated with him, that have appeared only in out-of-print magazines and Arkham House collections.

Yrs
Martin

Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 1 February, 2008 04:07AM
Sounds like an ideal project for you, Martin. A Lovecraftian family album would be well served by your diligence.

Phillip

Date: 1 February, 2008 03:34PM
Thanks for your confidence in my abilities, Phillip. :-)
However, I don't have access to all the Arkham House volumes and all the obscure small-press publications and fanzines I'd need.

Posted by: wilum pugmire (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2011 05:47PM
Vance Pollock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Got my copy for Christmas and read way into the
> night. Interesting stuff... and very
> conversational. The autobiographical notes by
> Barlow were quite sad, almost a premonition of his
> suicidal end. The guy was obviously quite
> brilliant, and also quite disturbed.

Hippocampus Press has published (is it out yet?) DIM-REMEMBERED STORIES: A CRITICAL STUDY OF R. H. BARLOW by Massimo Berruti. I have become utterly obsess'd with Barlow. The first time S. T. came over to record a blog was on Barlow's birthday, so we sang "Happy Birthday" to his shade. Can't quite understand my intense fixation on Bobby. He died in the year of my birth. This edition of Grandpa's epistles to him is such a beautiful book.

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page