Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234All
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Cosmic viewpoints
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2012 02:02PM
not a choir - the Sacred Harp was a singing method - just plain folks getting together - very true folk music, and ethnically authentic - of course they sing Hymns - so what?

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2012 05:07PM
calonlan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> not a choir - the Sacred Harp was a singing method
> - just plain folks getting together - very true
> folk music, and ethnically authentic - of course
> they sing Hymns - so what?

I searched for The Sacred Harp on youtube. I got the impression of a rather ambitious religious choir.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgnpJiMHJfE&feature=related

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2012 05:15PM
Sounds like they are having a good time though! People of like mind and conviction strongly bonded together.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 1 February, 2012 04:24PM
Knygatin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> calonlan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > not a choir - the Sacred Harp was a singing
> method
> > - just plain folks getting together - very true
> > folk music, and ethnically authentic - of
> course
> > they sing Hymns - so what?
>
> I searched for The Sacred Harp on youtube. I got
> the impression of a rather ambitious religious
> choir.
> [www.youtube.com]
> =related

There are hundreds of small gatherings all over the country, though mainly the south, I have never seen more than 40 people in one of the 4 groups around Pigeon Forge, Tennesee - In Texas there are a couple of dozen groups - they do have an annual gathering in Henderson Texas where I presume large numbers gather - it is, as the next writer observed, a hell of a lot of fun - The system uses "shape notes", in which each shape represents some note on the octave using the common "do, re, me..." designation - one person will be asked to "raise" a song - having made a choice, and designating the key note (do) - each line is sung separately - bass, tenor, alto,soprano - usually with lead line first which may be any of the four parts, though commonly the soprano line - as in "do - fa, sol-da-sol would be "amazing grace" first 5 notes - then they do all four parts using those sounds - then sing it in English - historically much easier way to sight read if learned first - and in the early days of American Education, most music programs in the public schools used this method - now the Kodaly Method is most commonly used for sight singing- those of you who watched "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" will remember the hand motions that indicated the notes of the alien signal - that was Kodaly - hand flat, hand vertical thumb up, hand flat, fingers bent down at the knuckle - shape notes evolved into the heavily Protestant south from the Roman and Anglican Chant notation - "O quae mutatio rerum" (Latin ending to old German student drinking song)

opening 5 notes -

Goto Page: Previous1234All
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page