Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Hanns Heinz Ewers
Posted by: anarchistbanjo (IP Logged)
Date: 5 January, 2009 06:12PM
Just in case anyone is interested in a little more accurate translation of The Spider here is the link:

[anarchistworld.com]

I find the differences just as fascinating as the similarities. Hopefully my translation runs a bit smoother and makes a little more sense.

I am curious about any comments and feedback. I am considering new translations of previously translated material because many of the existing translations seem to lack a certain quality that I feel should be there.

Just my opinion

-joe

Date: 10 January, 2009 04:52PM
While this is not horror, it is Ewers, in fact most of Ewers stories are strange fiction rather than horror. The sampling of translations I've done so far show Ewers as much more than simply a horror writer. Hopefully I will have the essay Intoxication and Art done by tomorrow.

Here is the link to The Curve for those that enjoy satire with their music!

[anarchistworld.com]

Date: 16 January, 2009 07:01PM
Well, it took a little longer than I thought it would but here is the essay Intoxication and Art.

Quite interesting considering it was written over one hundred years ago!

[anarchistworld.com]

Date: 23 January, 2009 09:00AM
Here is the link to an essay I just wrote:
Hanns Heinz Ewers and the Nation of Culture

It's too long to post here. Just some thoughts I've put together on this subject. Should be food for discussion.

[anarchistworld.com]

Posted by: Charlie2300 (IP Logged)
Date: 6 March, 2009 06:57PM
Hi

I'm new to this website; so pleased to find an authoritative website dedicated to CAS, a criminally neglected author to this day.

Anyway, I happened upon this forum topic and can announce that a collection of the short stories written by Hanns Heinz Ewers has just been published in English as a limited edition of 300 copies. Many of the stories therein are original translations. The volume "Nachtmahr - Strange Tales" is published by Side Real Press (Newcastle, UK, www.siderealpress.co.uk). This is the volume discussed above by anarchistbanjo (29 Nov '08).....and yes, it's retailing at £30, but it's a lovely thing.

I can't tell you much more about it at the moment as I've literally just been handed a copy and I'd not personally come across the author until now.

Contents

Introduction
Carnival in Cadiz
Mamaloi
The Death of Baron Jesus Von Friedel
Gentlemen of the Bar
John Hamilton Llewellyns End
The Dead Jew
The Spider
My Burial
From the Diary of an Orange Tree
The Tophar Bride
The Typhoid Mary
Edgar Allen Poe

I can provide further bibliographic information if you want it.

Date: 12 March, 2009 08:03PM
Guess you've already got the word on John Smith's new book. I'm still waiting for my copy. I've got a link to his site posted on my main webpage.

In my corner I'm finishing up Hanns Heinz Ewers Volume I of a planned five volume complete short story collection. It will be around 350 pages for each volume as well. I already have the entire set of stories in the original German in the books:

Das Grauen
Die Besessenen
Grotesken
Der gekreuzigte Tannhäuser und andere Grotesken
Nachtmahr
Von sieben Meeren
Die schönsten Hände der Welt

Many stories have been duplicated but these books contain the complete list. There will be five 350 page volumes at least. I am currently in negotiations.

Immediately after completing Hanns Heinz Ewers Volume I I will be focused on finishing Alraune. This too is currently under negotiations right now since several people are interested.

It is safe to say that my new translation of Alraune will be finished by this time next year and that there are people already interested in publishing it. A new translation is needed because of the censorship and poor translation in Alraune. The sexuality and relationship story between Frank Braun and Alraune were almost entirely cut in the Endor's translation.

Lastly I am toying with the idea of doing a reprint of Sorcerer's Apprentice since no one else seems to be interested. The sad truth is that Kessinger's reprint makes for an even smaller readership. I know I got my copy from there! I have been asked if I want to do a translation of it as well but I'm not keen on the idea. It is already pretty good as it is.

I am in contact with Dr. Kugel and while things move slowly, they do move. I also appear to be the only one currently translating.

bright blessings,

-joe

Date: 13 March, 2009 02:26AM
The first volume (of 4) Hanns Heinz Ewers' tales "Nachtwahr - Strange Tales" has just been published by Side Real Press, Newcastle, UK - see www.siderealpress.co.uk for full details. Limited numbered edition of 350 copies.

Contents

Introduction
Carnival in Cadiz*
Mamaloi
The Death of Baron Jesus Von Friedel*
Gentlemen of the Bar*
John Hamilton Llewellyns End*
The Dead Jew*
The Spider
My Burial*
From the Diary of An Orange Tree
The Tophar Bride*
The Typhoid Mary*
Edgar Allen Poe

* New translations

Posted by: Jojo Lapin X (IP Logged)
Date: 13 March, 2009 06:25AM
What? Why has nobody mentioned this before?

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 13 March, 2009 06:52AM
I don't think that they are getting your sarcasm, Jojo!

Date: 13 March, 2009 07:10AM
Apologies; I appear to have posted the same message twice!

Date: 19 March, 2009 07:07PM
Breaking news!
In cooperation with the Ewers estate Tyler Davis of the Agna Offensive, [www.theajnaoffensive.com] ,has a contract to publish Alraune with the intent to publish all three Frank Braun novels.

John Smith of Side Real Press, [www.siderealpress.co.uk] will be producing the informative intro like only he can do filling us in with research and info on Alraune. There will be a signed and numbered limited edition as well as the normal edition. Both will be using the Blaine illustrations.

I will be providing the first uncensored English language translation. The first five chapters will be made available on my website for free viewing. (chapters 1,2& 3 are already there)
[anarchistworld.com]

The remainder of the entire novel will be made available as I translate it via a rss feed that will not allow gong back to see old posts. Once it is set up it will display six pages of text every three days before it automatically updates. This means that if you just can't wait, the entire book will be made available in this limited fashion.

I will have my translation done by November or December of this year. Lots happening in the world of Ewers. Pass the news around. This will be big! I will let you know more as I know more.

-joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19 Mar 09 | 07:31PM by anarchistbanjo.

Posted by: Gavin Callaghan (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2009 04:37PM
Someone should do a story where Frank Braun and Randolph Carter team-up.

Date: 31 March, 2009 08:43PM
I've completed The Death of Baron Jesus Maria von Friedel and posted it on the Hanns Heinz Ewers blog. I will not be posting it on my website. I've posted enough on my website to get the word out, now I need to sell books!

I will have Hanns Heinz Ewers Volume I ready around the end of April. I still need to translate some new stories so it will be worth buying.

New stories will include:

The Death of Baron Jesus Maria von Friedel
The Button Collection
The Blue Indian
Delphi
Bible Billi

and possibly a couple more short stories. It will also include most of the stories that are on my webpage but not all of them. I'm only including material originally published prior to 1923.

Here is the link to the Hanns Heinz Ewers blog.

[hannsheinzewers.wordpress.com]

Date: 12 April, 2009 10:25AM
Happy Easter everyone! In reveiwing the stats I find that there are simply not very many readers of Hanns Heinz Ewers out there! There is a great need to get the word out about this brilliant writer. Because of this I am making all of my translated short stories public for now. Here are the links:

The Button Collection

[anarchistworld.com]

Bible Billy
[anarchistworld.com]

Delphi

[anarchistworld.com]

The Death of Baron Jesus Maria von Friedel

[anarchistworld.com]

I will be placing links to the Blue Indian and The Last Will of Stanislawa d'Asp as soon as they are ready. Then I will be focussing on Alraune. Hanns Heinz Ewers Volume I will still be available for those that want these stories in book form. I will be posting that info near the end of April. Enjoy!

-joe

Posted by: David Kartas (IP Logged)
Date: 13 April, 2009 10:05AM
I thought you said you weren't gonna continue with these .

Goto Page: Previous12345AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page