Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Hanns Heinz Ewers
Posted by: anarchistbanjo (IP Logged)
Date: 15 April, 2009 08:30PM
David Kartas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought you said you weren't gonna continue with
> these .

I am conflicted about sharing my translations freely or trying to sell them for profit. I've written Dr. Kugel six different times for permissions on material after 1923 and he has even written me once asking if I would like a contract. I responded that I did want a contract, especially because I wanted to translate Fundvogel. I haven't heard back since. I'm frustrated about that. I have stories I've translated and can't use because they were published after 1923 and not in the public domain here in the United States.

I'm eager to resume work on Alraune but need to put closure on Hanns Heinz Ewers Volume I first. I could have already been done with a little cooperation. The stats are interesting. As a rough guess I would say there are around 3oo people in the world that will actively search out any available English translations of Ewers and most will pay lots of money. Add another 300 that are interested if they don't need to pay much and that is it. The bottom line is that I won't make any significant money on book sales of Hanns Heinz Ewers Volume I and no one else will either. In the long run I'm better off to make them all free and offer them in book form for those that prefer books. It will increase the readership.

David,
You started this thread. You shared your wisdom and knowledge of Hanns Heinz Ewers to those that have never had a chance to read him. For good or evil I've given people new translations that have never been translated before so they can form their own opinion. I do sense hostility from you. Would you prefer that I did not post new translations here in this thread?

Every week I do google searches to find places where people are talking about Hanns Heinz Ewers and there are not any unless I bring them up! This thread is one of the few existing threads on the entire internet and it all started as a way you could show how much you knew about Ewers and everyone else didn't. Well maybe Ewers is not what people have stereotyped him to be! Maybe he is not what you thought he was!

In any case I'm not going to get into a pissing contest about it. If you would prefer that I quit posting new Hanns Heinz Ewers stories on this thread just tell me right here on this thread to my face and I will quit. I may be conflicted but my actions are producing translations. I put them all on scribd.com two days ago and have already had over 400 views. Hopefully that will mean more readers of Hanns Heinz Ewers!

By the way, look at the number of veiws this thread has! Quite impressive! There is a lot of interest among a few people.

bright blessings
-joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15 Apr 09 | 08:33PM by anarchistbanjo.

Date: 24 April, 2009 07:34AM
Here is the link to the story The Blue Indians. This is one of my favorite horror stories.

The Blue Indians

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24 Apr 09 | 07:35AM by anarchistbanjo.

Date: 25 April, 2009 06:42AM
Hanns Heinz Ewers Volume I

[www.lulu.com]

Now Available as a Quality Paperback for $16.49 plus shipping

Includes these short stories and essays:

Hanns Heinz Ewers and the Nation of Culture

The Spider

The Crucified Minstral

Delphi

The Curve

My Burial

Anthropoovaropartus

The Death of Baron Jesus Maria von Friedel

The Button Collection

Bible Billy

The Blue Indians

My Mother the Witch

Intoxication and Art

Edgar Allan Poe

plus three sample chapters from the upcoming novel, Alraune

Date: 30 April, 2009 07:36PM
Hanns Heinz Ewers Private Study Group

I translate Hanns Heinz Ewers out of love and interest. Most of the stories or novels I have never read before and I get to read them for the first time with everyone else. It is frustrating for me to spend hours translating Alraune when I could be translating something else that I have never read before. Still, the most pressing need is a new uncensored edition of Alraune and I’m up for it.

I’m trying very hard to introduce Ewers to new readers. By now everyone should realize my translations do stand apart from what you might have read before and that is my particular skill and passion. Hanns Heinz Ewers needs to reach a modern audience with modern translations. I seem to be the only one doing it.

I wish that there were more hours in the day available to me for translation work. I truly love to translate more than any other hobby I’ve ever had. Here’s the bottom line. I’d like to create a Hanns Heinz Ewers Private Study Group. This is how it would work:

I would create several private blogs available only to the study group:

Horst Wessel
Rider in the German Night
Fundvogel
The Cabaret
The Girl Wonder of Berlin
Ghost Seer
India and I
Travels Through the Latin World
Short Stories of Hanns Heinz Ewers

I have all but these two, Rider in the German Night and Travels Through the Latin World. I have all the rest and am itching to discover what is inside them but don’t have the time. I will be ordering these last two books within the next few months. I would not be publishing these but offering them for private study and discussion.

Each week I would post about six pages of never before translated text into one of these blogs. It would be a grab bag with no rhyme or reason. I would email everyone which blog I posted in. But each blog will be continuous. Horst Wessel will start with the first six pages and each time I post in that blog it will carry on from where it left off. If I started a thirty page short story that story would be completed before I started another story in that blog but it might be weeks before I once more posted six pages to that blog.

This might seem crazy but after six months or a year there would be significant material in all of these blogs that no one else in the world has ever read in English before. Progress would be slow but it is a study group and hopefully conversations and friendships can develop. Some people buy limited editions because they want to be the first ones to read the material or in some cases the only ones that can afford to read the material.

This is a way for people to get advance knowledge of material that might be years away from publication. If you love Hanns Heinz Ewers this would be perfect. It would cost $5/mo, the price of a cup of coffee and a donut. There would be a membership subscription set up through paypal.

The first three entries will be to Horst Wessel, Ghost Seer and India and I. I hope to have these set up this coming week to get a jump start on things. If you are interested in joining this private study group please email me at anarchistbanjo@live.com and have private study group in the heading. I will need at least ten people interested before I will do it. In the meantime I will be doing these scattered six pages anyway to take a little break from Alraune once in awhile. Let me know if you are interested and then I will set things up.

Email me and let’s talk. Please realize that these studies will be slow going at only six pages per week but it is also material that will have never been in English before and that might be worth something to some of you. I know it is to me. I translate simply because I want to know how it reads.

-joe

Date: 6 June, 2009 12:30PM
Well I finally finished chapter four of Alraune. Here is the link:

[anarchistworld.com]

I will need to do some editing later but it looks pretty good! If anyone still thinks that a new translation is not needed they should read this chapter and compare!

The tension between Frank Braun and his uncle is absolutely tangible! Chapter Four is where they finally find Alraune's mother and get her to go along with their plans. It makes me wince just to read it!

-enjoy! As always, I welcome your comments.

-joe

Date: 21 June, 2009 08:17AM
By Hanns Heinz Ewers 1889

(Der Arme Teufel, 19 December 1889)
Translation by Joe E Bandel
Copyright 2009 by Joe E. Bandel
Protected under United States Copyright Law as a derivative work of a foreign Author originally published prior to 1923

Sphinx

The stony sphinx lies there in the wilderness.

Impotent sphinx, foolish sphinx.

Which riddle did the son of Oedipus solve?

How blindly and miserably he must have wept

At the murder of his father and the marriage night

With his mother.

Your swollen feet will never again limp,

No, you will never again dare tell the riddle,

-The one in sheepskin-That one-

But I ponder it. Yes, I will complete it!

I will not allow this to happen,

Your cold stone should be listening,

Should be breathing with life.

My only desire is to raise you,

To awe you with my power and my love!

Are you willing? Are you willing?

You are! You are!

Dead sphinx, mighty sphinx awaken.

Now your eyes glow, your hair flutters.

I hold your head and kiss your mouth.

There, beat your paws upon my breast,

Live, love, in wild embrace-

Ah-

Glorious red blood of murder!

Drops of blood are the answer

To a hundred riddles.

-Hanns Heinz Ewers

Date: 1 July, 2009 04:35PM
Censored text Alraune chapter five:

You won't see this in the Endor's translation!

cheers

-Joe

There was a knock at the door. It opened and Dr. Petersen stepped inside. In his hand swung a long glass tube, tightly corked and wrapped in wadding.

“Good morning, your Highness,” he said. “Good morning, your Excellency. Here- here it is.”

The princess sprang up, “Let me see-“

But the Privy Councilor held her back. “Slow down, your Highness. You will see it soon enough. If it is all right with you, we will get right to work.”

He turned to the assistant doctor, “I don’t know if it will be important, but just in case it would be a good idea if you-“

His voice sunk as he put his lips to the ear of the doctor.

He nodded, “Very well, your Excellency. I will give the orders immediately.”

They went through the white corridors and stopped just in front of No. Seventeen.

“Here she is,” said the Privy Councilor as he carefully opened the door.

The room was entirely white, radiant with sunlight. The girl lay deeply asleep in bed. A bright ray scurried in from the tightly barred windows, trembled on the floor, clambered up a golden ladder, darted across the sheets and nestled lovingly on her sweet cheek, plunging her red hair into glowing flames. Her lips were moving- half open- as if she were lightly whispering words of love.

“She’s dreaming of her prince,” said the Privy Councilor.

Then he laid his cold, moist hand on her shoulder and shook it.

“Wake up Alma.”

A slight shock flew through her limbs. She sat up, drunk with sleep.

“What do you want?” she stammered.

Then she recognized the Professor. “Leave me alone.”

“Come on Alma, don’t be foolish,” the Privy Councilor admonished her. “It is finally time. Be sensible and don’t give us any trouble.”

With a quick jerk he pulled the sheets away throwing her onto the floor.

The eyes of the princess widened, “Very good! The girl is very well endowed- that is convenient.”

But the prostitute pulled her nightshirt down and covered herself as well as possible with a pillow.

“Go away!” She screamed. “I won’t do it!”

The Privy Councilor waved to the assistant doctor.

“Go,” he commanded. “Hurry, we don’t have any time to lose.”

Dr. Petersen quickly left the room. The princess came up and sat on the bed, talked to the girl.

“Don’t be silly, little one. It won’t do any good.”

She attempted to caress her, massaging her with fat be-ringed fingers over throat and neck, down to her breasts.

Alma pushed her away, “What do you want? Who are you? Go away, away. I won’t do it!”

The princess would not be rebuffed, “I only want what’s best for you child. I’ll give you a pretty ring and a new dress.”

“I don’t want a ring,” screamed the prostitute. “I don’t need a new dress. I want to go from here. Why won’t they leave me in peace?”

The Privy Councilor opened the glass tube in smiling tranquility.

“Later you will be left in peace and later you can go. Meanwhile you have an obligation to fulfill that you agreed to at the very beginning. Ah, there you are doctor.”

He turned to the assistant doctor who had just entered with a chloroform mask in his hand.

“Come here quickly.”

The prostitute stared at him with terrified, wide protruding eyes.

“No,” she lamented. “No! No!”

She made as if to spring out of the bed and pushed the assistant doctor so hard with both hands on his chest as he tried to restrain her that he staggered back and almost fell down. Then the princess threw herself onto the girl with wide stretched arms, pressing her back into the bed with her mighty weight. Her fingers with their many rings clawed into the luminous flesh as she gripped a long strand of red hair in her teeth.

The prostitute struggled, kicking her legs into the air, unable to free her arms or move her body under this mighty burden. She saw as the doctor placed the mask over her face, heard him lightly counting “one, two, three-“.

She screamed and tried to turn her head to the side away from the mask, “No! No! I won’t! I won’t! Oh, I can’t breathe-“

Then her screams died away, turned into a pitiful weak whimper, “Mother, oh mother.”

Date: 11 July, 2009 07:55AM
I've just finished Alraune- Intermezzo and posted it on my webpage for those interested. Here is the link:

[anarchistworld.com]

Date: 28 July, 2009 03:22PM
For those that are interested I've been working on my Librarything library! Where the books are listed I've put the stories that are in them. That way if anyone is looking for a particular Hanns Heinz Ewers story they will know which book it can be found in. I have not collected all of his books because some are duplicates of existing stories. I have collected all of his stories and they will show up on this webpage!

[www.librarything.com]

Posted by: David Kartas (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2009 01:09AM
Say, is Goethe im Reichstag a strange story ?

One thing I would like to know : will you be translating C.33. ?

Date: 7 October, 2009 08:33PM
David Kartas Wrote:
> Say, is Goethe im Reichstag a strange story ?
>
> One thing I would like to know : will you be
> translating C.33. ?

Unfortunately I haven't read Goethe im Reichstag yet. Chuckle, it's on my list. I will be translating C.33. Here is my current work plan. I will finish Alraune, then publish A Book of Fables, Then Hanns Heinz Ewers Volume II, Then Vampire, Then Mogani Nameh and Hanns Heinz Ewers Volume III.

Hanns Heinz Ewers Volume II will contain only stories that have never been translated before. C.33 has been translated and was in strange tales by Stephen Flowers. Hanns Heinz Ewers Volume III will by my translations of all previously translated HHE stories including c.33. Let's say you will need to wait about two years for it. I'm planning two books per year.

-joe

Date: 8 October, 2009 02:35AM
IHave you read it ? If so, could you give me a hint of what the title means ?

Date: 8 October, 2009 08:41PM
I'm guessing it is a tribute poem to Goethe since it is surrounded by several other poems as well. He did write a tribute poem to Bismark in his youth and one about the death of the Kaiser. These won't show up anywhere either except in Kugel's biography.

Unfortunately I don't have that poem or story unless I may find it in Kugel's biography as well. It is only to be found in this book:

Der gekreuzigte Tannhäuser
Meuser und Messer, Berlin 1901
enthält:
Der gekreuzigte Tannhäuser Er
Liebe? Er
Von der goldenen Kätie (7 Gedichte)
I. Immer wieder
II. Du von rechts
III. Im Park
IV. Heut' Morgen
V. Am Morgen
VI. Ihr Hemdchen
VII. Eh' ich diesen Morgen
Armer Junge! Er
Eine Strafkammersitzung Er
Die Perle Er
Aus Stenie's Wäschekorb G
I. Auf dem Ball
II. Steinerne Herzen
III. So wie der Männer
IV. Wandschmuck
V. Illusionen
VI. Intérieur
VII. In der Hängematte
VIII. Im Theater
IX. Die Frau Oberst sagt
X. Stenie's Toilette
XI. Anbeter
Die Blumenspiele zu Nippes F
Der Spuk von Rammin Er
10 Gedichte
Lore
Erinnerungen
Am Thuner See
Excelsior
Carmen hominum solatium
Unterm Eschenbaum
Mutter
Hinter dem Gitter
Sommernacht
Minnie
Wie John Jack Vriesländer ein Künstler wurde Er
Venus Kallipygos Er
Goethe im Reichstag G
Genealogie G

This is the book I have, some fifteen years later. I did think I had all the stories/poems covered. I may have to buy that one as well. I should check to see if others are missing as well.

Der gekreuzigte Tannhäuser und andere Grotesken
Georg Müller, München 1916 (veränderte Auflage)
enthält:

Date: 9 October, 2009 02:02AM
I meant C.33's title actualy, but that's also fun to know . Though personaly, a vampiric spectre of Goethe stalking the Reichstag would cetainly merritt someone's atention .

Date: 9 October, 2009 07:07PM
David Kartas Wrote:
> I meant C.33's title actualy, but that's also fun
> to know . Though personaly, a vampiric spectre of
> Goethe stalking the Reichstag would cetainly
> merritt someone's atention .

"I suppose you don't remember me?" the voice stumbled. The voice, too, I knew surely! But in a different fashion- flying, soaring, as if gliding in lancers. But now the voice sounded quite sticky and pimping, as though on crutches.

At last:

"Oscar Wilde?"

"Yes," the voice stumbles, "almost! Say 3.3.C., that is what the prison has left of Oscar Wilde."

Goto Page: Previous12345AllNext
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page