Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Newbie requests hand-holding and assistance.
Posted by: Anonymous User (IP Logged)
Date: 17 June, 2003 08:07PM
Hello,

I'm wondering what would be a good introduction to C.A. Smith. I can't seem to read e-texts, and am looking for an actual book to get me started.

I'm an H.P. Lovecraft fan, so that's where I'm coming from literature-wise.

I can't seem to find many books of his for sale online, either. Any good links would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Re: Newbie requests hand-holding and assistance.
Posted by: Dr. W.C. Farmer (IP Logged)
Date: 17 June, 2003 08:35PM
Dear Newbie - I suggest you go to e-bay where there is a thriving
commerce in CAS books, reprints etc. Several copies of the first
paper-back Ashton's work appeared in, "Zothique", have recently
appeared on e-bay at reasonable rates - "Genius Loci" is also commonly
on sale on ebay. You may get some help from Gavin Smith who is a
bookseller who corresponds frequently as a CAS fan on the
Yahoo website, ZothiqueNights. This will introduce you to his
mature writing. You should try to get some copies of his poetry, or
read them on this site. Once you have become a true devotee, you
might enjoy reading his earliest efforts (age 14) in "The Black
Diamonds". A collection of some very early poetry and short stories
(some fragmentary) and the Novel "The Sword of Zagan" (about age
16) will be issued by Hippocampus Press in January. I offer you
my blessings on your venture - keep a dictionary handy, your vocabulary
will be challenged, and experience a some serious growth.
Dr. Farmer

Posted by: Boyd Pearson (IP Logged)
Date: 18 June, 2003 03:40PM
Clark asthon Smith works in print

lists all the current in print and up and comming works as well as links to auction sites and second hand book dellers.

B.:-))

Date: 19 June, 2003 02:28PM
Dear Travis,

Some years ago, I was like you a fan of HP Lovecraft (and RE Howard among others). I knew CAS indirectly, and I had only read a few short stories of him compiled in fantasy/terror anthologies translated into Spanish... until I came across this site.

I guess you could start with the same I did, i.e. the Averoigne cycle (Tales of Averoigne). You will find most of the stories within a PDF available in this great site. They are varied, showing an exquisite irony and sense of humour. Some of them contain erotic references that are rather amazing keeping in mind the period in which they were written. And although in my opinion some of them have a foreseeable plot and make use of the common "ingredients" of the genre, they all have an intense terror and suspense flavour that at least make your reading an enjoyable experience, which is not very usual today.

Surely there are better ways to enter and "explore" the CAS universe, so mine is a suggestion only.

I hope this is helpful. I also apologise for whatever nonsense I have said. I am not a CAS expert at all.

Best whishes,
Enric Navarro

Posted by: Jim Rockhill (IP Logged)
Date: 21 June, 2003 09:11PM
I recommend you read the recently reprinted Arkham House "Best-Of" collection, A RENDEZVOUS IN AVEROIGNE, then go on from there. It is not a perfect selection, but is a better place to start than most.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2003 02:34PM
Please allow me to utter a loud and glorious "Amen!" to Jim's recommendation of A RENDEZVOUS IN AVEROIGNE as a proper introduction to the novice Casophile. A useful supplement that has some duplication is the British Millenium Fantasy Classics edition of CLARK ASHTON SMITH: EMPEROR OF DREAMS, which unfortunately seems to be extremely indiscriminating in its selection despite a few nice touches (such as the inclusion of the essay "On Fantasy" and the poem "Song of the Necromancer," along with a little grotesque drawing by CAS on the title page). Nonetheless, it includes some fine stories inexplicably omitted from the Arkham omnibus, such as "The Double Shadow."
Also, when reading Smith, do not neglect his poetry. Hippocampus Press has issued a tremendously valuable selection in THE LAST OBLIVION, which may well be the most important Smith collection yet published. And I hope that you will buy, read and enjoy the forthcoming Arkham House edition of his letters, but then I'm projudiced.
Best,
Scott Connors

Date: 25 August, 2003 12:02PM
Hi. Sorry I've been so tardy in checking back for responses. Lousy business. Anyways, I am going to be ordering "A RENDEZVOUS IN AVEROIGNE" shortly. I like the Arkham House books (just bought the 3 Lovecraft collections and the one revisions volume), and I'm expecting that the Smith collection will be a good starting point. Thank you all for your help!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page