Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Biblio info on "Sleep of Condor" poem?
Posted by: Anonymous User (IP Logged)
Date: 20 June, 2003 11:48AM
Greetings. Could someone give me bibliographic information for CAS's poem "The Sleep of the Condor" (date, book where the poem is included, etc.)? Thanks. I first used Smith's Condor poem in a sermon I preached a while ago. Now I am self-publishing a collection of sermons and including this sermon. I want to make sure I give proper acknowledgement.

Gary

Re: Biblio info on "Sleep of Condor" poem?
Posted by: Dr. W.C. Farmer (IP Logged)
Date: 20 June, 2003 02:39PM
Sir: The work you refer to is, I believe a translation or adaptation
of Leconte de Lisle, and appeared in "Nero and Other Poems" in the
the 30's - The writing links on this site will probably take you
directly to the relevant bibliographical data - and that will be
more reliable than my memory I am sure. I should very much like for
you to write to this site again and tell us in what context you used
this work in your sermon. I am sure the regular devotees of this site
(theologically many speckled birds nest here) will find this of great
interest. Thank you.
Dr. Farmer

Posted by: Boyd Pearson (IP Logged)
Date: 20 June, 2003 04:13PM
At the bottom of all of CAS's work is a link to the bibliography entry for that work.

Posted by: Anonymous User (IP Logged)
Date: 20 June, 2003 04:54PM
Okay, so am I correct then to understand that "The Sleep of the Condor" was actually written by Charles Marie Rene Leconte De Lisle (1818-1894), but appears in translation/adaptation by Clark Ashton Smith in the book, Selected Poems (Arkham House, 1971)? Does anyone have any further information about when the poem was originally written and when Smith translated it? Thanks.

Per Dr. Farmer's question. The context for my use of the poem was a sermon given on the occasion of our church sending a person to Colombia on a Witness for Peace delegation back in Spring 2001. The Sunday also happened to be the First Sunday in Lent and the lectionary psalm was Psalm 91 where God is described as a great bird of prey, who protects his/her young under covering pinions, creating a refuge under his/her wings. I imagined God as an Andean Condor. If there is an interest, I would be happy to post the sermon.

Incidentally, the bibliographic details link on this poem misdirecting me to "The Song of the Comet." That is where I got off-track.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page