Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345678All
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: "I Am Providence" - S.T. Joshi's expanded/unabridged Lovecraft Biography (2 vols.)
Posted by: Absquatch (IP Logged)
Date: 23 October, 2010 03:09PM
I was really referring to an American academic edition of the biography. Does the Liverpool U. Press volume contain essentially the same material as the Necronomicon Press biography from the mid-90's?

Regardless, it's both fascinating and disgraceful that Joshi could not find an academic publisher for the longer biography of Lovecraft. I hope that snobbism over lack of a formal academic affiliation did not enter into the picture. In any case, we have indeed fallen a long way from the days when the professional, if non-academic, Doubleday firm would publish a Lovecraft biography, and by the likes of L. Sprague de Camp, no less.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23 Oct 10 | 03:11PM by Absquatch.

Re: "I Am Providence" - S.T. Joshi's expanded/unabridged Lovecraft Biography (2 vols.)
Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 23 October, 2010 03:20PM
Absquatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was really referring to an American academic
> edition of the biography. Does the Liverpool U.
> Press volume contain essentially the same material
> as the Necronomicon Press biography from the
> mid-90's?

It is a much abridged version of H. P. Lovecraft: A Life.

>
> Regardless, it's both fascinating and disgraceful
> that Joshi could not find an academic publisher
> for the longer biography of Lovecraft. I hope that
> snobbism over lack of a formal academic
> affiliation did not enter into the picture. In any
> case, we have indeed fallen a long way from the
> days when the professional, if non-academic,
> Doubleday firm would publish a Lovecraft
> biography, and by the likes of L. Sprague de Camp,
> no less.

According to the backflap of the reprint of Conover's Lovecraft at Last, Cooper Square Publishing was going to do a reprint of H. P. Lovecraft: A Life, but for some reason it never happened.

It is sad that the severely flawed biography by LSdC has been more widely spread.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 24 October, 2010 01:07PM
It may well be disgraceful, but the disgrace is not Joshi's.

Posted by: Absquatch (IP Logged)
Date: 25 October, 2010 09:22AM
Quote:
It may well be disgraceful, but the disgrace is not Joshi's.

If he tried in good faith to get an academic publisher for his Lovecraft biography, and settled for Hippocampus only because there was no other option, then I agree with you, as I think the remainder of my comment, above, makes clear.

Posted by: J. F. Uccello (IP Logged)
Date: 26 October, 2010 03:30AM
Got the book and am waiting for gulfs of time in order to dig in. Generally quite nice, if typographically uninspired. My only complaint is the poor quality of the foil stamping...

It is great to have this minutely detailed work in its full glory. Joshi's writing is so smooth and fluid. This unedited version may not be as "disciplined" as the abridged version, but I am thankful for all the added details on even the most obscure elements relating to Lovecraft's life and writing. This is a classic.

[www.viatoriumpress.blogspot.com] Dedicated to the Weird.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 1 November, 2010 07:27PM
I, for one, say hurrah for Hippocampus!, and I, with two doctorates to my credit, happily spit in the eye of "academe" (or is it ada-damn?)

Posted by: Leigh Blackmore (IP Logged)
Date: 20 November, 2010 12:13AM
The comment above regarding Joshi having difficulty holding an objective perspective regarding Lovecraft is patent nonsense. While one would expect someone who has devoted as much of their literary/critical career as has Joshi to one given author (Lovecraft) to be somewhat biased in favour of that author, Joshi has always demonstrated an exemplary balance where Lovecraft is concerned, not hesitating to criticise his attitudes and shortcomings in print in various places. That he provides his personal opinions is his right, and he is indeed an outspoken critic - however he backs this up with definitive research and well-expressed writing.

The magnificent new edition of Joshi's Lovecraft biography, I AM PROVIDENCE (2 vols) is absolutely essential for serious Lovecraft scholars and enthusiasts. It reflects the many years of Joshi's research at libraries all over the US, and delving through Lovecraft's manuscripts to produce the best understanding possible of this great genius of weird literature. L. Sprague de Camp's bio of the mid-1970s was only a first attempt. The first version of Joshi's bio won the World Fantasy Award, and rightly so, even though it was cut by 150,000 words. Now we have the unexpurgated complete edition, in a beautifully bound 2-vol set from Hippocampus Press. It deserves to win the World Fantasy Award all over again. The book will probably never be surpassed as a life of Lovecraft.

cheers
Leigh Blackmore
President, Australian Horror Writers Association

Leigh Blackmore

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 20 Nov 10 | 12:17AM by Leigh Blackmore.

Posted by: australianreaderdotcom (IP Logged)
Date: 2 December, 2010 12:25AM
I agree with Leigh, that I Am Providence is indispensible, and unlikely to be surpassed. It is a magnificent acheivement, and a testament to the abilities of Mr Joshi as a biographer.

I would like to add that I have had the pleasure of over a decade's correspondence with Mr Joshi, and I have found him a gentleman, as patient and as generous with his time and resources as was HPL. As a result, I am more open to his work concerning various interests, not only Lovecraft, and other writers of weird literature, including CAS, but also atheism, Mencken, social justice, and so on. In this, it can be argued, both himself and myself follow the example of Lovecraft in the breadth and catholicity of our various interests.

Blog: The Cruellest Month -- [the-cruellest-month.blogspot.com.au]

Posted by: jelio (IP Logged)
Date: 24 December, 2010 12:49PM
I got my copy last week and believe it or not i left volume 1 at a friends house.

So until i am able to get my hands on volume, for the time being i am starting from volume 2.

I dont think there will be any adverse effects to reading about lovecrafts life out of order especially since i am already acquainted with the basics.

So far so good, im enjoying Joshis style.

These two books will take me awhile to get through i think i will enjoy them.

The first new thing i have learned was really how poor lovecraft was in 1925-1926 he really was on a poor mans diet, i feel as though he really suffered and struggled to have food on the table.

JELIO

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 2 January, 2013 05:39AM
The pb will be available soon, according to Hippocampus Press.

Posted by: dregj (IP Logged)
Date: 22 December, 2015 09:19AM
does anyone know what this extra edition contains
for someone who only read the single volume edition

Posted by: jdworth (IP Logged)
Date: 22 December, 2015 10:12AM
Specifics? I'm afraid I don't have that kind of time. Briefly, more than a quarter of the original text was cut for the earlier editions. This contains the full text plus material revised in light of new findings concerning Lovecraft's family, his involvement with amateur journalism and the impact of both a.j. and HPL on each other, etc. The notes are also more extensive, allowing one to look up full verification and context if one so chooses. In other words, an enormous amount of material.

My own perspective? Well worth the investment, especially as it is available in tpb.

Goto Page: Previous12345678All
Current Page: 8 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page