Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Strange Shadows
Posted by: Gavin Smith (IP Logged)
Date: 27 June, 2003 04:54AM
Hi all. Strange Shadows is still available, by the way. I am populating a database right now for my new website and was just adding this volume of Clark Ashton Smith. Released in 1989 at $39.95, many decided not to get it. Books cost more today, now the price is $74.95. What can I say? Here's a review from Studies in Weird Fiction, doesn't say who wrote the review:
"Perhaps the hardest review to write is the one where the reader is confronted with a near-perfect book. I suppose if I wanted to quibble with type-styles and binding I might be able to find something to criticise in Strange Shadows, but otherwise I find nothing wrong with this book; it's everything I would expect Clark Ashton Smith's last prose collection to be, and more. I say last because this volume collects the remainder of Smith's fiction, story synopses, unfinished tales, essays, and plays known to exist. And for this task, the editors--in particular Steve Behrends--deserve our thanks. Behrends has done more for the revival of Smith's reputation than any one individual, and all in a very short period of time. . . . Strange Shadow is one of the first true scholarly editions of an author's work of weird fiction, something which hasn't even been done with Lovecraft's work yet. Considering this, Strange Shadows becomes more and more important on each level we look at it. Of course, though, for those who aren't interested in variants, these additions can be passed over easily, making the volume enjoyable at all levels. . . . Extensive notes are offered, as well as three interesting appendices: "The Lost Worlds of Clark Ashton Smith" by Steve Behrends looks at the non-extant works by Smith that we know were completed; "Nemesis of the Unfinished" is the outline by Don Carter which was the basis of the story co-authored by the two; and "The Black Book: Addenda" includes material not used in the Arkham House edition of Smith's The Black Book (1979). If the sheer bulk of material featured in Strange Shadows doesn't intrigue you, then the diversity and quality should. For most readers, I am sure the high point will be the lengthy story fragment `The Infernal Star,' which some will readily classify as a `Lovecraft Mythos' tale and is replete with mentions of The Necronomicon. Whether you are a Smith fan or a scholar of weird fiction, this volume has something for everyone. And while the high price of the volume is the only aspect of it I can quarrel with, the $39.95 will be well spent; how many of us have spent more than that on some out-of-print volume that we really didn't need?. . . Strange Shadows is a necessity, and worth the price many times over."
- Studies in Weird Fiction

Description:
Strange Shadows opens a window into the dark, visionary worlds of Clark Ashton Smith, whose "verbal black magic" was a significant force in the American science fiction and fantasy movement of the 1930s. This annotated collection of his previously unpublished works provides a unique opportunity to savor the full range of Smith's literary contribution. Featuring fantasies and ironic short stories, prose-poems, plays, unfinished stories, and more than 100 story synopses, it offers valuable documentation and commentary on the work of one of the most distinctive and consistently interesting modern masters of the fantasy genre.

An introduction by Robert Bloch (the author of Psycho) examines Smith's work and places it in historical perspective. Among the highlights of the collection are the satirical title story; variant drafts of two of Smith's most famous stories--The Coming of the White Worm and The Beast of Averoigne--and a play entitled The Dead Will Cuckold You, which has been hailed as a masterpiece. The editor's annotations include extensive quotations from Smith's correspondence to H. P. Lovecraft, August Derleth, and other important fantasy authors, together with textual commentary and discussion of connections between published and unpublished works. Information on lost writings and lists of published story titles, characters, and place names are supplied. An important resource for fantasy readers and scholars, this book will appeal to those with an interest in "dark" fantasy, science fiction, and the history of American science fiction.

Table of Contents:
Introduction
Fantastic Fiction
Non-Fantastic Fiction
Prose-Poems and Plays
Miscellaneous and Non-Fiction Prose
Index

Gavin, again:
Greenwood is an academic publisher and not to be confused with the typical fantasy small press. They are obligated to make books available according to need, however they determine that, and this title has become unavailable at various times in the past. I translate that to mean they ran out of copies, whereupon they reissued it and kicked up the price according to current printing values. The list price today, as I said before, is $74.95. But seriously, how much money just pours out of our hands these days with little return in the way of value? Not everybody needs this book, but if you do, I think you know who you are.

Gavin Smith, Bookseller
3408 Pleasant Run Road
Irving, Texas 75062-3255

Re: Strange Shadows
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 27 June, 2003 10:19AM
I'll believe this once you have copies. I got the last copy from Greenwood Press about five years ago, it was a return from one of their European distributors. Greenwood Press has the irritating habit of continuing to list o.p. titles as in-print, then accepting orders (and cashing the check) until they reach the point where they consider it financially feasible to reprint the book. I think that it would be great to have the book in print, but then I want _all_ of CAS back in print! Best,
Scott

Date: 27 June, 2003 06:32PM
Scott thinks I am spinning my wheels, here. Believe it, ye of little faith. I do not doubt Scott's experience, but mine is more recent. Last printing was in 2001 and the entire print run was 38 copies, five of which remain. I hope you don't think I am ordering these books on spec.! But anyone who makes an order will get a book, guaranteed, at least up to five books. So, buy 'em from Greenwood or order through me, makes me no difference.

The thing is, due to their short discount, a reseller like myself really makes no profit by selling these books. For this $75 book, I would get 20% off, which is $15, and then add postage to that and it's darn near full price again. But, I am advertising it in the general interest of Clark Ashton and the common good.

Date: 27 June, 2003 06:45PM
My apologies, Gavin, I was not aware that Greenwood was doing that small a print-run: that's practically print on demand! I hope that anyone who doesn't have this title will pick it up, since it is really an impressive piece of scholarship. Also, it contains all unpublished CAS stories whose whereabouts where known at that time [:-)], many fragmentary stories, uncollected prose poems, and the play "The Dead Will Cuckold You." The book is worth it for that, "The Infernal Star," and the original version of "The Beast of Averoigne" alone. By all means, order a copy--and if from Frater Gavinicuss, be generous with the postage! Best, Scott

Posted by: Jim Rockhill (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2003 04:31PM
I wholeheartedly agree with Soctt. If you do not yet have the book and have more than a passing interest in CAS, pick up this book while you have a chance. It is much more than just fragments and synopses. "The Dead Will Cuckold You" is a major component of the Zothique cycle, I have already raved about the first version of "The Beast of Averoigne", and the uncut version of "The Coming of the White Worm" is even more baroque in language than the familiar version. I have never regretted purchasing this book since it first appeared.

Jim

Posted by: Boyd Pearson (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2003 04:18PM
Does this new printing fix the errors of the original?

Errata to Strange Shadows: The Uncollected Fiction and Essays of Clark Ashton Smith

B :-)

Date: 30 June, 2003 05:27PM
Hi Boyd! I just can't say one way or the other on this issue. My guess is that it is identical, just a re-printing.

Date: 1 July, 2003 04:02PM
I have figured out how to sell these books, having arranged this morning to send one direct from the publisher to England. If interested parties contact me, I can send them a PayPal request for money. They follow the instructions with payment and mailing address, and I make the purchase with my credit card. Greenwood will drop-ship (as they call it) direct to the buyer. I'll have to confirm postage cost via e-mail.

Date: 19 September, 2003 01:56PM
As of September 18th, when I called in to Greenwood
Customer Service and asked whether copies of Strange
Shadows were currrently available, I was told that
the shelves were bare and it was awaiting reprint,
with no reprint date yet scheduled. But if anyone
wants a copy, I urge them to consider making a
pre-paid pre-order either with me or Greenwood.
What that would do is act as clear evidence to the
publisher that this title needs to be reprinted
and very soon. Otherwise, other titles with pre-
orders may get reprinted first.

Posted by: gavinicuss (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2004 10:30AM
Gavin Smith, Bookseller
3408 Pleasant Run Road
Irving, Texas 75062-3255

Strange Shadows is scheduled at Greenwood Press to be reprinted soon in March of 2004. I am not going to be buying copies for resale, but I would be happy to fill orders. Greenwood Press will be sending the book direct to the customer, so this keeps to cost down.

www.gavinicussbooks.com

Date: 29 February, 2004 04:09PM
Flash update: I am going to be buying some copies when this book starts shipping 30 March, but only for pre-sold orders, so get in touch and I will hook you up. Greenwood has bumped the price to $78.95, but other than that, it is nearly ready to ship, according to what they told me. I am already due to get ten copies.

Date: 29 February, 2004 07:00PM
Gavin,
Try to find out how many printings SS has gone through and how many copies total they've printed. Inquiring minds want to know. :)
Scott (who is glad he has his copy)

Date: 15 March, 2004 11:53PM
Dear Scott,

I did ask and was told that only slightly more than 800 copies have ever been printed, since the first printing back in 1989.

Date: 17 March, 2004 01:06AM
Damn! Jason Williams at Night Shade Press could have moved a heck of a lot more copies than that! Greenwood Press has a certain snob value as an academic and not a genre publisher, but still! But thanks for checking.
Scott

Date: 7 August, 2004 12:19AM
I have one copy of Strange Shadows remaining after my recent purchase of ten copies, since one of my clients got cold feet and pulled out. It's $78.95 plus postage to the first interested party.

gavinicuss@hotmail.com

Gavin Smith
3408 Pleasant Run Road
Irving, Texas 75062-3255

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page