Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Two Newly Discovered Smith Stories!!
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2003 12:24AM
Okay, gang, hold on to your shorts: Ron Hilger and I have located copies of the typescripts of not one but _two_ stories written by Clark Ashton Smith that were believed to be lost. The first of these is "The Red World of Polaris," a stf story written for WONDER STORIES in August 1930. A sequel to "Marooned in Andromeda," this 13,000 word adventure of Captain Volmar features some fine poetic and atmospheric writing, and was rejected by editor David Lasser for "not enough action." The second story, "The Face by the River," is a 2500 word psychological ghost story dating from October 1930.
Now start saving your pazoors. Night Shade Books is publishing THE RED WORLD OF POLARIS, a collection of the three Volmar stories plus the synopsis and draft of "The Ocean-World of Alioth," an uncompleted Volmar adventure. The book will feature a scholarly introduction by Ron and me, along with a celebrity afterword, plus interior illustrations and a dustjacket (artist not yet finalized, but all of the names discussed are great). The book is limited to 500 numbered hardcover copies costing $35. In addition, there will be a lettered edition of 26 copies and with a slipcase. This edition will be signed, have at least one color plate of a Smith painting of an alien landscape, and will include as a bonus a recently discovered unpublished prose poem by CAS. This lettered edition will cost $125. Jason Williams, honcho at Night Shade Books, predicts that these editions will sell out quickly. I applaud his astuteness at precognition.
As for "The Face by the River," well, plans are being made so please don't barrage us with offers for "Face," we've found a publisherbut aren't quite ready for announcement just yet.
Both stories are quite good, and we are sure that you will all be delighted with them.
Best wishes,
Scott and Ron

Re: Two Newly Discovered Smith Stories!!
Posted by: Ron Hilger (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2003 01:44AM
I can only add that the "Red World" has often been called the Holy Grail of the "Lost Worlds of CAS" so it would be safe to say our cup runneth over! I've read it through twice now, and can guarantee its classic CAS. You all have something to look forward to!
-Ron

Posted by: Boyd Pearson (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2003 04:35PM
Order from:

Red World of Polaris Clark Ashton Smith

They don't ship outside the US - what does that first W in WWW mean:-D

Date: 16 July, 2003 05:25PM
Order from http://www.nightshadebooks.com Boyd, you are covered, I'm sending you one of my extra copies. Anybody else wants a copy who is overseas, contact me. I'll coordinate with Jason so you can place an order with him and he'll ship to me, and we'll work out a small fee for me to mail it on to you. ASK ME ABOUT IT FIRST, though. Ya'll better hurry, though: it's less than 24 hours since the announcement and half of the lettered and 10% of the regular edition is already sold! Best, Scott

Date: 16 July, 2003 05:32PM
Scott,

I offered an advert on the site for a copy to Night Shade Books. I only need one copy so if they say yes you can give your copy to someone else - I'll let you know.

But I'm still surprised at any company that sells on the web but limits sales to one country.

Thanks,
Boyd B-]

Posted by: Dr. W.C. Farmer (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2003 10:06AM
dear friends,
I just ordered one from nightshadebooks, and their website indicates
all lettered editions are sold out - such a successful advance sale
bodes well indeed for both the growth and depth of interest in
Clark's work. I am glad that I at least lived to see it, even if
he did not.
Dr. Farmer

Posted by: Jim Rockhill (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2003 08:25PM
By all the dubious saints in Averoigne, "The Red World of Polaris"? I did not think we would ever see this! Kudos to you both! Too bad there were not more lettered copies, though. By the time I heard about this, they were all gone. I am sure the trade edition will be wonderful too!

Jim

Posted by: Anonymous User (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2003 08:38AM
This discovery brings me to a topic related to this site:

More story cycles should be included: Volmar and Philip Hastane come to mind.

Date: 23 July, 2003 07:34AM
Latest status on THE RED WORLD OF POLARIS: all of the lettered and over 400 of the limited edition have been sold. He who hesitates is lost! Best, Scott

Date: 23 July, 2003 03:46PM
They never replied to my email about advertising so looks like I'll get a copy of you Scott- many thanks.

B.;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page