Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Maps of cities in Averoigne?
Posted by: Madog (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2009 10:00AM
Hi, all, I'm new here.

I just sent a detailed email to Boyd and when I was finished I was given a message to visit the forums, which is where I should have posted in the first place.

In brief, I'm expanding the Averoigne section of the 1981 Dungeons & Dragons module X2: Castle Amber and will be hosting my notes (along with versions of the module for other game systems) at www.hacklopedia.com, my gaming website.

The first step is in detailing several locations in Averoigne, especially Vyons, Ximes, Les Hiboux, Sylaire, etc. Are there any canon maps before I go inventing something? I'm aware of the X2 map already on this site, it's part of the module I'm expanding.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Re: Maps of cities in Averoigne?
Posted by: cathexis (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2009 05:29PM
[www.ulujain.org]

I googled that one but don't think it's all that.

FWIW,

Cathexis

Date: 19 November, 2009 07:34AM
Just to reply to my own reply if you don't mind,

Why not just draw your own map?

I have the map of Averoigne as posted on this site up as windows background on my PC right now.
I want to say that somewhere here on-site I read they were from Ballantine Books. Funny, 'cause
that would fit as they look so much like the maps in the Ballantine PB editions of Tolkien's LOTR
trilogy.

Anyway, my point is that I just finished "The End of the Story" last night. It was very evocative
and although it did frequently describe the locale of the story I think you could draw most any
map of Averoigne to fit your gaming needs. Yes, some things need to be relative to each other but
I think you could defend almost any map as long as you've read the stories and are in continuity
with them.

Even though I'm a Newbie here I will risk being spanked and throw out a criticism of CAS's style that much
of the power of his writing is his use of *his* language to open *your* imagination to create the worlds
he writes about. So - keeping in continuity with the story locales - map what you like. I don't play
D&D except for the rare PC game that I usually don't finish but I'm sure Averoigne would offer you lots
of room for your imagination to design as you please.

Cathexis

Date: 19 November, 2009 03:37PM
Thanks for the map, but that's the one I have. I'm looking for maps of *cities in Averoigne*, not of Averoigne.

Yeah, I can make stuff up, but if CAS scribbled a map on pg 39 of notebook #3, I'd want to use that. It may even be a more publicized reference for all I know - I like the CAS stories but I've only read what I need to for the game, so I could be missing huge amounts of the sort of detail I'm looking for.

It would be silly for me to duplicate it.

If anyone knows of such material, please point me to it. Likewise, if anyone knows the works of CAS well enough to tell me there is no such work, please let me know so I can proceed.

Date: 19 November, 2009 05:08PM
My bad then.

Best of Luck,

Cathexis

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 20 November, 2009 05:31AM
Madog:

I am just curious. Do you have any suggestions for how to penetrate the equally thick skulls of dogmatic scientific materialists? I'd have asked you elsewhere, but the thread is closed. Anyway, reading some T.S. Kuhn may disabuse you (and our host) of your romantic illusions about science.

Date: 20 November, 2009 09:21AM
@Kyberean: Romantic illusions about science? You mean, the process which has brought us nuclear power, advanced medical techniques, increased crop productivity, global communication, and instant access to information? Yes, how silly of me not to realize it's the same sort of belief as religion.

Please do not derail my thread with any more nonsense.

@Jerryfox: not sure what you are referring to, but glad I could help.

Posted by: Stan (IP Logged)
Date: 20 November, 2009 12:20PM
Madog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @Jerryfox: not sure what you are referring to, but
> glad I could help.

Jerryfox isn't referring to anything. Jerryfox is a spammer who has infiltrated this forum. Check out the other threads: he's in every single one, and always with some generic, catch-all comment that usually has little to do with the topic.

Watch yourself, "Jerryfox" -- you have been outed.

Date: 21 November, 2009 12:41AM
Isn't this forum moderated?

Date: 21 November, 2009 08:27AM
Looks ike "Jerryfox" is having trouble finding his penis so he's
decided to pay with us instead.

Hopefully Boyd will be able to set things right.

Cathexis

Posted by: Absquatch (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2011 06:31PM
Quote:
Romantic illusions about science? You mean, the process which has brought us nuclear power, advanced medical techniques, increased crop productivity, global communication, and instant access to information?

Yes, and also the process that brought us nuclear weapons, toxic food additives, iatrogenesis....

The process that claims it represents the master perspective before which all other perspectives must bow.

The process that CAS had in mind when he wrote the wise words, "All human thought, all science, all religion, is the holding of a candle to the night of the universe".

Quote:
Please do not derail my thread with any more nonsense.

Why not? You derailed a thread of mine with your nonsense. Quid pro quo.

(Yes, I realize that this is an old thread, and that this genius is likely off somewhere inventing new GMOs playing computer games, and has no further time for this humble forum, but I saw this for the first time while researching the other thread, and couldn't resist.)

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2011 09:22PM
Madog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the map, but that's the one I have. I'm
> looking for maps of *cities in Averoigne*, not of
> Averoigne.
>
> Yeah, I can make stuff up, but if CAS scribbled a
> map on pg 39 of notebook #3, I'd want to use that.
> It may even be a more publicized reference for all
> I know - I like the CAS stories but I've only read
> what I need to for the game, so I could be missing
> huge amounts of the sort of detail I'm looking
> for.
>
> It would be silly for me to duplicate it.
>
> If anyone knows of such material, please point me
> to it. Likewise, if anyone knows the works of CAS
> well enough to tell me there is no such work,
> please let me know so I can proceed.

CAS did not draw a map of Averoigne himself, but Ron Hilger has drawn one that is to appear in the long-delayed AVEROIGNE CHRONICLES (that actually looks as if it will appear sometime before the energy death of the universe). I'll give him a heads-up and maybe he'll check in here.

And no, this is a moderator-free zone.

Scott

Posted by: K_A_Opperman (IP Logged)
Date: 20 November, 2011 12:57AM
There is an excellent map in Donald Sidney-Fryer's Atlantis Fragments--but probably someone has referred to it already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20 Nov 11 | 01:00AM by K_A_Opperman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page