Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123456All
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: CAS v. 5 (Night Shade Books)
Posted by: Kipling (IP Logged)
Date: 5 October, 2010 09:36AM
I have no doubt that Scott's standards are as uncompromising as those of the standard-bearer himself, Mr. Mabbott. "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statemen" (Emerson referring to Obamaites).

Posted by: Absquatch (IP Logged)
Date: 5 October, 2010 12:25PM
Jim Rockhill writes:

Quote:
Nice to see that you are still humorless, still defensive about your own positions or errors (though quick to point out the flaws in others), and still prone to loading your posts with rhetoric ("cheap debating point", "Thought Police") in an attempt to make those positions seem as if they were brave sallies against the status quo, instead of simple opinions, whenever someone else attempts to express their own opinion or make an objective point.

Nice to see you evading the issue while simultaneously pretending to a moral superiority your own rhetoric belies. If trying to exploit a typographical error isn't a cheap debating point, by your definition, then I'd like to know what is.

And speaking of "humorless", your failure to recognize the humor behind some of my deliberately over-the-top rhetorical ploys suggests that your sense of humor is the one that needs tweaking, not mine.

Quote:
You are entitled to your opinions, but it seems more than a little odd to see you demanding that everyone else respect your opinions when you show so little respect for anyone else.

It seems more than a little odd that you mistake a request to recognize that I am merely stating an opinion for a demand that that opinion be respected. I merely find it funny that my opinions matter so much to some of you that you react in Pavlovian fashion. I would add that your "fastened its fangs into a buttock" remark is itself an over-the-top projection and misapprehension. I enjoyed the rhetorical overkill, though; it's good to see that you're learning. ;-)

Anyway, Rockhill, if you want to compare van Hollander to von Karajan, then knock yourself out. By doing so, you'll make my job easier, as you'll certainly not require my help to look silly. And if you don't like my posts, then here's a simple solution: Don't read them. I've made hundreds of posts here; that you recall only the "negative" ones is just a testament to your selective perception.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 6 October, 2010 02:34PM
Scott Connors Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are some interesting developments on that
> front, but I'm not yet at liberty to discuss them
> on an open forum. Contact me via email or facebook
> messages.
>
> Scott

I apologize to those who contacted me, but I thought that the context of this message indicated that it was directed at Jim, not the entire board! I still can't discuss what's in the works, but I assure all subscribers that they will receive what they were promised. The only question is if they receive a bit more than they were promised.

Scott

Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 7 October, 2010 12:33AM
Jim Wrote:

I find it
> interesting that Van Hollander has integrated
> Smith's portraits at different ages with a wide
> sampling of Smith's own sculptures into the
> background and foreground. Not to everyone's
> taste, but it does represent Smith.

You're right Jim; I've just been looking over Jason Van Hollander's artwork in its entirety (front and back, without lettering) and this last cover represents the older Smith apparently giving homage to the gods of his own creation. Perhaps the child-creature represents a rebirth or transcendence for CAS. I very much like the crumbling ruins and idols beneath a vibrant night sky; this seems to me a wonderful evocation of Zothique.
It may be that I'm too close to this project to be truly objective, but I think this cover represents a wonderful culmination to the series.
--Ron

Date: 7 October, 2010 09:07AM
It would be interesting and amusing to have a forum poll on the subject of the van Hollander covers. In my own comments, I forgot to mention that I've seen high school students who have a better command of Photoshop or similar programs than van H.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 7 Oct 10 | 09:08AM by Absquatch.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 7 October, 2010 03:02PM
De gustibus, non est disputandum.

Date: 8 October, 2010 03:15PM
Quote:
De gustibus, non est disputandum.

True, indeed. One merely shares perspectives, and the reasons for them.

Goto Page: Previous123456All
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page