Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234All
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Where Would CAS Publish His Poetry Today?
Posted by: Absquatch (IP Logged)
Date: 5 December, 2010 06:42PM
No offense taken. I was hoping that we'd return to the original question.

Anyway, your cynicism is welcome. On this subject, one cannot be cynical enough, in my view. A more plausible scenario for a CAS, today, however, would involve repeated failures to place his poetry in a journal because of the lack of connections and MFA degree. Also, he would be hindered by the fact that he is a real poet, as opposed to an excremental modern false poet. Having failed to crack the journal market, CAS would be forced to self-publish via the likes of Amazon.

Posted by: australianreaderdotcom (IP Logged)
Date: 5 December, 2010 10:07PM
I don't see the lack of an MFA having that much of an effect. It would limit his chances in some mundane publications, but he would still have many of the little magazines open to him.

Considering, also, that I've managed over 500 acceptances over the last 12 years or so, without an MFA, it would be possible for CAS to have his successes in the current market. Further, that there would be small presses open to him would be a given, even if only for the fact that I work for one of them as a poetry editor.

Blog: The Cruellest Month -- [the-cruellest-month.blogspot.com.au]

Date: 6 December, 2010 07:02AM
I was exaggerating for effect, regarding the MFA.

For the rest, you yourself have admitted to exploiting personal connections. Also, as I thought I made clear earlier in the thread, I am explicitly referring to relatively prestigious markets in poetry, and not to amateur journals.

Hope that helps. At any rate, we can debate 'til the sun rises and sets in our various parts of the world, but we'll never know for certain, apropos of CAS and his possibilities of success, today. In any case, I am less interested in generalities in these speculations than I am in knowing the names of specific professional markets, today, that might publish a CAS, just as he was: Unconnected (except for Sterling, a major connection, I admit!), formalistic, and wholly against the grain of the times.

Date: 13 December, 2010 03:42PM
I am re-reading the volume of Clark Ashton Smith's correspondence with his mentor, George Sterling. It is, of course, fascinating and instructive in its own right, but it also covers many subjects that are pertinent to this thread.

For instance, in one letter to CAS, there is a complaint by GS that brings a sardonic grimace to my lips. GS complains that one particular magazine to which he sold a poem paid "only" $30. Now, keep in mind that, in 1915, the sum of $30 was, adjusted for inflation, the equivalent of $641.43, today!

My heart absolutely bleeds for poor George! Can anyone name many poetry markets that pay $30 per poem in today's dollars, let alone what $30 were worth ninety-five years ago? Another small piece of evidence that, as dismal as those days were for poets, they resemble Utopia, compared to today.

Date: 13 December, 2010 05:55PM
I don't see the evidence there, frankly. Things are looking pretty good if you can get paid for travelling around in a bus on tour with a hundred other poets, as Gary Mex Glazner did: the fruit's there for the pickings; you just have to know the extent of the orchard.

Date: 13 December, 2010 07:16PM
Quote:
I don't see the evidence there, frankly.

Not even a "small piece of evidence", which is how I carefully qualified my statement?

Anyway, I am not going to argue with you. I merely repeat: Can anyone name a fair number of markets that pay even $30 per poem in today's dollars, let alone in 1915 dollars?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13 Dec 10 | 07:19PM by Absquatch.

Date: 13 December, 2010 07:43PM
P.S. Can anyone even imagine CAS submitting to the indignity of riding around in a bus with 100 "other poets"? I can't even imagine the social butterfly Sterling doing that! Yes, we do live in better times, don't we?

Date: 13 December, 2010 08:06PM
Before saying 'yea' or 'nay' I suspect that, no matter how many titles I trot out, you wouldn't consider the end result as "fair". I can say, with certainty, that each major literary journal in Australia pays at least $50 AU (around $40-$45 US) for a poem, often more, and that this should be considred fair given the state of the poetry market in Australia.

Date: 13 December, 2010 08:15PM
You assume that sharing a bus with 100 other poets involves indignity, which just shows how little you understand. I have been in comparable situations, with similar amounts of poets, and none of us expressed any indignity: we expressed, instead pleasure at being able to be part of a sizable amalgamation of writerly talent.

The essential thing is that Mr Glazner and the other 100 poets got paid to go on tour, something which seems to have eluded you in your seeming insistence that the only pay that matters is that for poems submitted to literary journals.

Publication in journals does not pay as well as other sources of income, but it is essential to landing books with publishers, which is where most poets get their income from selling their poetry to the reader.

There are alternatives: grants are one, a laureateship is another, sponsorship is another, so is patronage. All are legitimate means for making income that are open to poets now, and potenmtially open to CAS were he alive today. In that sense the poetry scene has greater potential today, and also because the number of poets supported is far greater than in the early to middle 20th century.

Posted by: Jojo Lapin X (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2010 04:23AM
Personally, when the poetry bus comes into town I hide under the bed.

Date: 14 December, 2010 08:20AM
australian reader:

As I said, I don't intend to argue with you about this subject, but since your tone is veering toward the wounded and the personally offensive, I will add a few additional remarks.

First, I am delighted to read that there are Australian magazines that pay something close to a pittance, though they come nowhere near to what CAS and Sterling earned, adjusted for inflation. My copy of Poet's Market is not at hand, but I'll take a look at it soon to see how many paying markets meet or exceed the munificent thirty dollar threshold.

As for the titles that you threaten to trot out, you'd be better advised to do that than to make snide implications about my open mindedness. As you should know, I am always happy to repay such remarks in their own coin, and with interest, so allow me to suggest that, in your case, unwillingness to provide such titles actually equates to inability to do so.

As to your market-based rationalizations, you completely evade the question of how much the market has deteriorated, in terms of journal payments, since Sterling's and Ashton Smith's time. Book publications were just as important to CAS and Sterling as journal payments, so please, don't try to imply that book publication today is any different in that regard from yesterday.

Quote:
You assume that sharing a bus with 100 other poets involves indignity, which just shows how little you understand.

Your remark shows how little you understand, actually. While I certainly find the idea of a poetry bus comical (and, as you can see from the other comment, I am not the only one), what I am actually assuming is that Clark Ashton Smith would find such a thing undignified, as I plainly stated. I am willing to bet my net worth that I am right, too.

I should add that I am not the least bit surprised to learn that you were on the bus.

Quote:
your seeming insistence that the only pay that matters is that for poems submitted to literary journals.

Hmm, clearly I have touched a nerve, here. One would search in vain for any statement of mine claiming that pay for submissions is all that matters. Surely, though, it is primary? A poet ought to get paid for publishing his work, and not to have to get onto a poetry bus and prostitute oneself?

Quote:
[A]lternatives: grants are one, a laureateship is another, sponsorship is another, so is patronage. All are legitimate means for making income that are open to poets now, and potenmtially open to CAS were he alive today. In that sense the poetry scene has greater potential today, and also because the number of poets supported is far greater than in the early to middle 20th century.

Yes, those ways do exist for those who are willing to brown-nose and ingratiate themselves with others, or to complete endless paperwork, in the case of grants, and to play various other social games. In all seriousness, do you really think that Ashton Smith would have done so? (Sterling, more likely).

In any case, don't forget the dole; that remains an active possibility, as well. ;-) Alas, CAS and Sterling could not collect social security disability insurance or welfare to support themselves in those days. So, yes, I suppose in that respect we are a little more enlightened, today, than we were a century ago. The elephants in the room that you ignore, however, are the following:

1. What percentage of any types of poets today actually receive laureateships or patronage; and,

2. Whether a poet such as CAS, in particular (as opposed to a brown-nosing, modernist poetaster), would truly have those options open to him. You keep forgetting that that is the subject of this thread--what would a modern-day equivalent of CAS do, today?

Anyway, that's more than enough. I will not even bother to read any further huffy, evasive, and immaterial replies from you. If you care, however, to post something pertinent to my original question, then I remain interested. Otherwise, have fun on the bus!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14 Dec 10 | 08:34AM by Absquatch.

Date: 14 December, 2010 09:06AM
Quick P.S. :

Scott Connors could be of help here, I am sure, but it's clear that CAS did receive a degree of patronage during his early life (usually inadequate, but better that than nothing). It is equally clear, however, that this was due almost exclusively to Sterling's willingness to bleed his wealthy friends on CAS's behalf. That aside, CAS primarily sought to depend upon magazine sales of his poetry to earn additional income.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 1 January, 2011 07:43PM
I have just read for the first time the last dozen or so posts on this thread - very interesting - as to the bus-load of poets - I almost fell out of my chair laughing - how would these persons be identified as "poets" - by whose standards were these folk identified as "poets" - I would have said that I doubt there have ever been 100 actual poets in the United States and any given time - Over my shoulder, as it were, I can hear the booming laughter of my old friend John Ciardi, whose magazine "The Saturday Review" of literature was created just to publish aspiring talent - and sitting about the kitchen table grousing about the endless amount of drivel that poured in to his office - Clark would have found a bus ride of this sort hideous and demeaning - not that others might love it - but he would have hidden some place to avoid it - the Happy Hour bar in Old Town I think - and as to self-publishing?
I cannot imagine Clark anywhere near a computer - any desk-top publishing would have to have been done by some technologically adept friend - even had he been born in 1993 and was just now at the beginning of his career, raised in the midst of technology, I am afraid this world would have swallowed him utterly - to depressing to think about the Smith family of free spirits trying to survive in this world -

Goto Page: Previous1234All
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page