Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Info. on "The Martian"
Posted by: Gary Woodward (IP Logged)
Date: 6 November, 2003 04:06PM
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for any information on a CAS art piece (watercolour) entitled "The Martian".

I notice that Boyd has a colour photograph of the picture in the CAS art section, and that the picture was courtesy of Noel Farmer: Does anyone have any additional information on this piece; or know if Mr Farmer is still contactable?

Many thanks,

Gary W.

Re: Info. on "The Martian"
Posted by: Boyd Pearson (IP Logged)
Date: 6 November, 2003 05:16PM
Noel sold it earlier this year. His email address is:

farmerUNDERSCOREnoel@hotmail.com

replace UNDERSCORE with well you know what, I just dont want to be responsible for sending spam his way.

I believe he got it from CAS himself.

Re: Info. on
Posted by: Noel Farmer (IP Logged)
Date: 7 November, 2003 10:04AM
Gary...

Thanks for your interest in the Martian. I was around 10 years of age when CAS gave it to me. As you have probobly guessed he Clark was a close friend of my brother. On a few occasions I got to walk with Clark on his property and listen some of his stories. After the walks he gave me the Martian and a couple of sculptures.

Boyd is correct I sold these earlier this year to a private collector. DSF was a roomate of my when I was in College in SF in the late 60's. He always had a great interest in the Martian as well. I spoke to Don earlier this year after many years of no contact and the first thing he asked was if I still had the Martian.

I currently have a signed book for sale on ebay if you are interested. It was signed 3 months prior to Clarks death. It may be the last one he signed.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 7 November, 2003 09:33PM
With all respect due to Noel, CAS signed copies of ABOMINATIONS OF YONDO to L. Sprague de Camp when the latter visited him a few weeks before his death. Regardless, the copy on eBay is an important association copy that will increase in value once Bill Farmer's edition of THE SWORD OF ZAGAN is published. Best wishes, Scott Connors

Posted by: Gary Woodward (IP Logged)
Date: 9 November, 2003 12:25PM
Thanks to Boyd and Noel for the information on this topic (and an excellent photograph of "The Martian" in the art section).

My main interest in this piece is one of CAS's artistic development. I'm the current owner of "A Saturnian Don Quixote" and have noticed compositional similarities between it and "The Martian". It's my belief that "A Saturnian..." and "The Martian" may have been created in the same period of CAS's stylistic evolution, but until now I've had no way of accurately comparing the pieces (before I discovered "The Martian" in Boyd's Art section, my only reference was the black and white picture in Dennis Rickard's "The Fantastic Art of Clark Ashton Smith").

"A Saturnian…" dimensions are 9 by 12 inches. How does this compare to "The Martian"?

I'd be interested to hear other's opinions on this (admittedly for my part, speculative) topic. Pictures of both pieces of art can be found in the "Art By CAS" section. Do others agree these pictures to be related in form, style and content?

Is anyone aware of any work undertaken to document the stylistic development of CAS's pictures and sculpture?

Cheers,

Gary W.

Posted by: Noel Farmer (IP Logged)
Date: 10 November, 2003 11:28AM
Gary....

The Martian is 9 x 12 as I recall and it was dated 1921. I hope that helps you. It was in pretty sad shape and was held together with ancient tape.

Noel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page