Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
View hallooooo
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2010 08:27PM
Whence this egregious quiescence, O followers of the Mage? Hast thou no further query, no mote of insight or curiosity remaining? Oh, fie on't.

Re: View hallooooo
Posted by: Gill Avila (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2010 09:24PM
Sometimes it is best to maintain a turgid silence, for often, it has been said, excretion is the bitter part of valour...

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2010 07:51AM
Any spontaneous reflections or reminiscences from Calonlan on CAS and his life, are interesting to hear about. I believe many visitors to this site, both sporadic and regular, curious about CAS, would find it a welcome relief.

It is not easy to keep asking questions about something one doesn't know about. I am always interested to hear about Clark's habits, behaviour, his clothing, food, quirks, ... and whatnot.

Posted by: The English Assassin (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2010 09:40AM
Yes, I'm waiting for the Calonlan CAS biography...

Date: 18 November, 2010 09:18AM
The English Assassin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, I'm waiting for the Calonlan CAS biography...

actually, between my memoir in "sword", and numerous posts in answers to questions on this site, you may have a pretty good start at that which you seek, should someone wish to assemble them into a single place - often the question jogs the memory - however, at 72 and in the 14th year of my heart transplant (I will be having my 44th heart biopsy on Dec. 14 - keep in me in mind please - always potentially dangerous) I have a few projects I am struggling to wind up - the recordings of the poems with Don Fryer, a translation of the "Shepherd of Hermas", and current productions of Shaw's "Don Juan in Hell", "Harvey", and "Damien" - so when I have the energy, that's what I'm doing - always glad to try to answer q's - it does appear that some impressions of Clark that I read on the forum are colored perhaps by the author's wish for CAS to be a mirror of their own desires and tastes - trust me that you will know him better through the poems than the stories. All things to the side, I am deeply grateful on his behalf for the devotion and interest you all show in maintaining the site, and the extraordinarily high level of inquiry and scholarship. In whatever dimension Clark's molecules continue, somewhere in the swirl there is a gentile and knowing smile.

Posted by: Absquatch (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2010 11:17AM
It's true enough that one can project one's own values onto CAS, as is the case with anyone whom one admires.

Then again, there's not really one "unitary" CAS either, is there? The earnest young cosmicist of The Star-Treader with his (in my opinion, quite salutary) lack of interest in human relationships and anthropocentrism, and for which Harriet Monroe condescendingly chided him, differs rather markedly from the more worldly CAS that calonlan knew in later life. Of course, one always tends to dismiss the youthful part of oneself, or others, but, based largely upon the writings, I find much to admire in the young star-treading CAS who resisted, for as long as possible, the intoxicating odor of "sandalwood".

Just my perspective and preferences, though--but I hope not merely my projection.

Date: 20 November, 2010 06:24AM
Are there any particular poems that give a good portrait of Clark? Or is it more to be understood that his poems in general present his honest voice and standpoint?

Projecting onto others is a human condition. Part of relating to others. It is oppositely proportionate to ones maturity, width of perspective, and psychological wisdom. May there conceivably be a certain degree of projection from Calonlan onto Clark, as well?

Is it right that your connecting with Clark did not stem from a particular interest in the fantastic and weird (as between Lovecraft and Clark for instance), but rather from a general interest in language and classical art (from a standpoint in linguistics, poetry, classical music, opera)? Maybe I detected a certain satisfaction in your voice, when you noted that Clark appreciated hearing classical music you presented to him? As to Clark's stories, I remember you have expressed enthusiasm over stories in Genius Loci and other tales more than once, but I don't remember much talk of his other stories. Have you been interested enough, to read all of his stories? Did Clark himself actually lack a genuine interest for his own stories? Or is it conceivable that he socially adapted his conversation to your special interest in poetry during your visits, and found no reason to bring so much conversation onto the stories?

Date: 20 November, 2010 01:08PM
Knygatin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are there any particular poems that give a good
> portrait of Clark? Or is it more to be understood
> that his poems in general present his honest voice
> and standpoint?
>
> Projecting onto others is a human condition. Part
> of relating to others. It is oppositely
> proportionate to ones maturity, width of
> perspective, and psychological wisdom. May there
> conceivably be a certain degree of projection from
> Calonlan onto Clark, as well?
>
> Is it right that your connecting with Clark did
> not stem from a particular interest in the
> fantastic and weird (as between Lovecraft and
> Clark for instance), but rather from a general
> interest in language and classical art (from a
> standpoint in linguistics, poetry, classical
> music, opera)? Maybe I detected a certain
> satisfaction in your voice, when you noted that
> Clark appreciated hearing classical music you
> presented to him? As to Clark's stories, I
> remember you have expressed enthusiasm over
> stories in Genius Loci and other tales more than
> once, but I don't remember much talk of his other
> stories. Have you been interested enough, to read
> all of his stories? Did Clark himself actually
> lack a genuine interest for his own stories? Or is
> it conceivable that he socially adapted his
> conversation to your special interest in poetry
> during your visits, and found no reason to bring
> so much conversation onto the stories?

Interesting points deserving of some attention - yes, the authentic Clark, especially as a youth,is in his poetry, it was more often than not the topic he warmed to - I did not indeed come to desire his acquaintance through an interest in other writers like Lovecraft - about whom I know and care little - I have however read his entire corpus, and, while some tales stand out, I find re-reading them always rewarding - in fact, Clark is one of the few authors whose work (even though one knows the outcome) is always rewarding to read - I still get a chill in "Schizoid Creator" as Satan rakes his talons absent-mindedly across the entrails of some still-living female - Clark enjoyed discussing the tales, and preferred some over others - but he often reiterated that the stories were born of the necessity to put (his phrase) "beans on the table" - as were his menial efforts around Auburn - Clark's (and Carol's) relationship went way beyond the level implied above - we dwelt together for extended periods of time, and I became (in Carol's mind for sure) a kind of (her words) "spiritual son" (and so inscribed in the first paperback post mortem) - we were very real with each other, and it was in fact the freedom to not be on guard that Clark relished (note the photo on the beach in "Sword of Zagan" -
It is true also, that my interest in Clark's writing is from an appreciation of his skills and brilliance and not from an interest in the "weird" etc. My tastes in literature are very wide - and if the writing is of a quality that calls one back again and again as to an inexhaustible source, then that is where I take my greatest pleasure.
Not that I don't read ordinary stuff, detective stories, historical novels etc - but I find just trying to re-read such stuff tedious - like scoring student essays - the fact that I was an accomplished musician was only an aspect which I brought to the friendship which he appreciated -
At this many years remove from the almost ten years of association with CAS, as boy and man, I feel reasonbly able to objectively view those times and unforgettable evenings of high wit, satire, and deep discussion with that remarkable genius - it gladdens my heart that so many today want to know him - and how each one comes to appreciate him, and perceives what he gives to the enrichment of their existence, is a relationship to be chesished as time will allow it to grow and flourish - it's all good.
Don't know if this deals with your enquiry adequately, but 'tis what I feel like saying at the moment.

Date: 22 November, 2010 04:11AM
Thank you. That was good to hear about.

I guess there can be no ultimate objectivity in anyone. Life is experienced subjectively based on our interests and joys. And also there can be parallell "truths" seen by separate individuals.

I would not object to any of your observatuions in Clark.

Posted by: Fear Dunn (IP Logged)
Date: 22 November, 2010 04:28PM
calonlan Wrote:
>it does appear that some
>impressions of Clark that I read on the forum are
> colored perhaps by the author's wish for CAS to be
> a mirror of their own desires and tastes - trust
> me that you will know him better through the poems
> than the stories.

The same could be said of Robert E. Howard. And, by the way, CAS wrote about him "H. seemed very appreciative of my book of poems, Ebony and Crystal, and evidently understood it as few people have done." (Letter to A. Derleth, August 29th, 1933).

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 22 November, 2010 05:41PM
> calonlan Wrote:
> >it does appear that some
> >impressions of Clark that I read on the forum
> are
> > colored perhaps by the author's wish for CAS to
> be
> > a mirror of their own desires and tastes -
> trust
> > me that you will know him better through the
> poems
> > than the stories.
>

"....till my term shall pass,
And I become no more, alas,
Than a frail shadow on the glass
Before some latter conjurer." ("Song of the Necromancer")

Date: 23 November, 2010 05:30PM
Evidently my initial reason for posting stirred the pot a bit, and that was the idea - the wealth insight which resides in this forum community sits like a sheathed saber, restless and eager to be drawn, so elegant when in use.

Date: 3 December, 2010 10:28AM
an additional note on Clark's revealing himself in his poetry - the love poetry is most pointedly revelatory - I particularly like "not altogether sleep" and the little poem in my collection that is in "Sword of Zagan" - poignant of the need of a lonely man for human touch -

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page