Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Dodo Press
Posted by: Doc Stacks (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2010 02:17PM
Have any of you heard of a publisher called Dodo Press? I recently came across a collection of CAS's prose poems published by them. Unfortunately, the book in question, A PHANTASY AND OTHER PROSE POEMS, is riddled with typos. How is it, do you suppose, that such a poorly presented book came to be?

Re: Dodo Press
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2010 03:09PM
They're a public domain print-on-demand publisher. Their business model is to churn out cheaply made copies of as many different titles as possible. I was informed by a more reputable POD publisher that they only had to sell 7 to 8 copies of any given book to make back their set-up costs, and anything after that was pure profit (especially if you don't pay royalties).

On another issue: could you provide bibliographic information, specifically the titles (and page numbers) of the contents?

Thanks--
Scott

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2010 03:22PM
*Shudder* I once bought a few volumes of Burton's translation of Arabian Nights printed by them. I might as well have printed and bound something off Project Gutenberg -- the text was so badly handled it was useless. For example, all instances where Burton used Greek letters had been replaced by "{Greek letters}". They obviously do only a minimum of work on their titles.

Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2010 04:22PM
Thank you for the warning. They have reprinted several titles by Marjorie Bowen and others that had seemed tempting, but I was afraid what Martin has described would be the case.

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2010 09:18AM
Off-topic: If anyone knows of a cheap reprint of the Burton translation that is textually correct, please let me know. I have PDF scans of the original edition, but it's just not the same thing as real books.

Posted by: Jojo Lapin X (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2010 10:13AM
I would be interested in this also, even though I find Burton virtually unreadable.

Posted by: Doc Stacks (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2010 07:36PM
Scott,

Thank you for the information. Following are the titles included in the book, exactly as listed in the table of contents:

A Phantasy (1916)
From the Crypts of Memory (1917)
The Memnons of the Night (1917)
Ennui (1918)
The Princess Almeena (1920)
The Black Lake (1922)
The Caravan (1922)
The Demon, the Angel, and the Beauty (1922)
A Dream of Lethe (1922)
The Flower-Devil (1922)
From a Letter (1922)
The Garden and the Tomb (1922)
In Cocaigne (1922)
The Lake of Enchanted Silence (1922)
The Litany of the Seven Kisses (1922)
Remoteness (1922)
The Shadows (1922)
The Statue of Silence (1922)
To the Daemon (1922)
The Traveller (1922)

The TOC does not include page numbers, but I'll be happy to compile them for you if you wish.

--Doc

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2010 10:37PM
The actual page numbers would be useful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page