Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12345678AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 8
The Last Hieroglyph has arrived!
Posted by: Tantalus (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2010 12:29AM
I got it today.

I do like Clark as a Pharaoh on the cover. :)

I subscribed to the set on the first day it was available on the Night Shade Books site. How many years ago? And I live in San Jose, about an hour drive from San Francisco where NSB is based.

The first couple books of the set distributed I got mine early. But last year I got mine after people in Europe were receiving their's. I think I was the last person to get their copy. I don't care if I'm the first but that was annoying.

But I'm happy today!

Get yours yet? And where are you?

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 11 Nov 10 | 01:02AM by Tantalus.

Re: The Last Hieroglyph has arrived!
Posted by: asshurbanipal (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2010 05:10AM
Hi Tantalus
Joy at last! Congratulations! However, NSB have repeatedly promised that CAS5 and Tales of India & Irony would ship together to all subscribers. Guess they lied, huh?

Posted by: Geoffrey (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2010 01:44PM
Good to hear that these have been shipped out. I hope amazon.com gets their copies soon!

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2010 08:40PM
asshurbanipal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Tantalus
> Joy at last! Congratulations! However, NSB have
> repeatedly promised that CAS5 and Tales of India &
> Irony would ship together to all subscribers.
> Guess they lied, huh?

It appears that you have never heard the adage "Never attribute to malice that which can be equally attributed to error."
And the reason why TII hasn't shipped is because NSB is negotiating with the CAS Estate to expand it and to print enough copies to satisfy the demand. Oh--and it will now be hardcover, so subscribers will now receive at no charge a 6th HC uniform with the other five, rather than a trade paperback. Oh, and everyone who couldn't get on board in time can now get one without hitting up Ron or me. (I imagine that some subscriber will not complain that this isn't as "collectible" as an ultra-limited subscriber's premium: well, Ron and I live close enough to SF that we've offered to drive down and autograph all subscriber copies. Still, some people would complain if they were being hanged with a new rope.)

You owe NSB an apology--to lie is to deceive, and there is no deceit here. Their goal continues to be to put out the best product that they can. They are far from perfect, but they are good people who are trying to correct their failings toward their authors and customers.

Scott

Posted by: Geoffrey (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2010 11:53PM
Scott Connors Wrote:
> > And the reason why TII hasn't shipped is because
> NSB is negotiating with the CAS Estate to expand
> it and to print enough copies to satisfy the
> demand. Oh--and it will now be hardcover, so
> subscribers will now receive at no charge a 6th HC
> uniform with the other five, rather than a trade
> paperback. Oh, and everyone who couldn't get on
> board in time can now get one without hitting up
> Ron or me.

Good to hear!

Posted by: cw67q (IP Logged)
Date: 14 November, 2010 03:51AM
That is good news Scott, I think printing a larger print run for open sale makes good sense here.

- chris

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 14 November, 2010 04:04AM
What Geoffrey said! :D

Posted by: Absquatch (IP Logged)
Date: 14 November, 2010 08:23AM
Scott Connors wrote:

Quote:
Still, some people would complain if they were being hanged with a new rope.

Remember, "never attribute to malice that which can be equally attributed to error." ;-)

In all seriousness, though, that's very good news about the bonus volume, and I, for one, am happy to apologize to all concerned if I have misattributed malice to Night Shade Books, in this instance. Thanks for your efforts, and for the update.

Posted by: asshurbanipal (IP Logged)
Date: 14 November, 2010 10:50AM
It appears that you have never heard the adage, "Perdito Street Station will be bigger and better than originally planned. Trust me," etc. Oh, and how about, "CAS5 is set in stone," etc. 2007. 2008. 2009. January 2010. March, September, November. Oh, and how about, "Tales of I&I is complete and will ship with CAS5," etc. Lies, or just a catalogue of incompetent cock-ups? Which of those would actually be better? Oh, and some people WOULD definitely complain if they were being hanged with a new rope, especially the innocent. ("Stop complaining, arsehole, we don't care if you did it or not. Look at this lovely new rope.") Oh, and when can we expect this splendid matching volume? Will this, like its predecessors, march repeatedly into the distance until finally meeting the fate of PSS? Oh, I forgot, you're not prepared to discuss it in an open forum.
I owe NSB what? Don't make me laugh. What arrogant pomposity. You owe me, and hundreds of other customers, and have done for five and a half years. Oh, and how about those surplus copies you intend squirreling away for the retirement fund? Is the taxman aware of this private arrangement?
YOU owe ME an apology, Scotty old boy, or do you intend to fulfill NSB's earlier threat to their customers ("Anybody who complains will go straight to the bottom of the delivery tray. We mean it")?
If you don't like what I say then the remedy is in your own hands: post me what you owe me PDQ. When I get what's mine you'll never hear from me again. That of course includes never spending another cent with NSB regardless of whatever promises and inducements they may think up. Tell me, whatever happened to the good old American adage of service with a smile? Have a nice day, now.

Date: 14 November, 2010 02:17PM
Assholebanipal:

Goetz von Berlichingen!

Yr Obt Servt,
S.

Date: 14 November, 2010 02:22PM
Absquatch Wrote:
> Scott Connors wrote:
>
> Still, some people would complain if they were
> being hanged with a new rope.
>
> Remember, "never attribute to malice that which
> can be equally attributed to error." ;-)
>
> In all seriousness, though, that's very good news
> about the bonus volume, and I, for one, am happy
> to apologize to all concerned if I have
> misattributed malice to Night Shade Books, in this
> instance. Thanks for your efforts, and for the
> update.

You are very welcome. I hope that you enjoy the books.

Scott

Posted by: The English Assassin (IP Logged)
Date: 14 November, 2010 08:08PM
Scott Connors Wrote:
> Oh, and everyone who couldn't get on
> board in time can now get one without hitting up
> Ron or me. (I imagine that some subscriber will
> not complain that this isn't as "collectible" as
> an ultra-limited subscriber's premium: well, Ron
> and I live close enough to SF that we've offered
> to drive down and autograph all subscriber copies.
> Still, some people would complain if they were
> being hanged with a new rope.)

That's great news, Scott. Can't wait! :)

Posted by: Dunwichsouth (IP Logged)
Date: 15 November, 2010 08:35AM
I have personally purchased hundreds of books from small presses, and been left hanging by dozens of deadlines...

It is not the small presses fault if I choose to get upset and mad that they missed their deadline again...
They will always miss them, never make them, not come close to them, be years behind if not decades, and once in a while hit it right on the nose and come out on right on time.

After years and years of dealing with small presses, if I put any expectations on them after my own personal experience, I am a fool (this is only referring to me). Or to quote myself from Alt.Horror.Cthulhu"

"> but the lot of small presses is financially precarious.

Hence' tis why we should celebrate each new edition that does get
published, instead of bemoaning the twenty that didn't. Each new
volume is a rare and fleeting moment time."

Thanks and love

Posted by: Eldritch Frog (IP Logged)
Date: 15 November, 2010 09:49AM
Very interesting that this bonus is becoming a hardcover with matching artwork! Hard to believe anyone would complain about that!

What will be hilarious, is when people start complaining when Nightshade reprints the CAS volumes like they did with William Hope Hodgeson. Why anyone would complain that something is available to more people for the same price is beyond me. It is downright selfish.

Posted by: Dunwichsouth (IP Logged)
Date: 15 November, 2010 10:13AM
I remember that whole conversation... And LOVED the response that Night Shade gave when the collectors complained that the value of their "Stock" would depreciate. If I can paraphrase, Night Shade believed "Their books were actually meant to be read, and not just collected by people that could afford them."

There was quite a small uproar when they reprinted Vol.1 before vol.5 was even printed! Personally I thought that was very very very very very cool, and well deserved of a fantastic author... But I can imagine the anger of the person that bought the extra copies to EBay the lowly masses with...

Eldritch Frog Wrote:
>
> What will be hilarious, is when people start
> complaining when Nightshade reprints the CAS
> volumes like they did with William Hope Hodgeson.
> Why anyone would complain that something is
> available to more people for the same price is
> beyond me. It is downright selfish.

Goto Page: 12345678AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page