Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345678AllNext
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: The Last Hieroglyph has arrived!
Posted by: Radovarl (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2011 06:07PM
Here's hoping Night Shade rehabilitates itself to the SFWA's satisfaction; that can't be helping matters.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2011 08:50PM
Radovarl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's hoping Night Shade rehabilitates itself to
> the SFWA's satisfaction; that can't be helping
> matters.

From [www.sfwa.org]

Report to members regarding Night Shade Books Probationary period

Dear Members,

Last year, the SFWA board of directors voted to place Night Shade Books on probation for a period of one year. Night Shade Books responded by agreeing to work with SFWA to address the issues that our members had with their business. During the past year, Night Shade Books has been cooperative and open with their communication to SFWA and the Board appreciates their efforts.

After a review of Night Shade Books and after requesting information from our members about the publisher’s activities during the period of probation, based on the information currently available, the board believes that Night Shade Books has met the following conditions for it to remain on the qualifying list after its probation period:

a. That it examined its catalogue to ensure it is no longer offering fiction in formats for which it has no rights, and makes whole those authors whose rights it has violated;

b. That it instituted procedures and hired sufficient staff to ensure accurate record keeping for contracts and payments, both for previously published and future authors;

c. That there are no instances of contractual violations on the part of Night Shade Books against authors signed to publishing deals after the start of the probationary period.

The remaining benchmark that the SFWA board of directors set for Night Shade Books requires more data to assess. The board asked that Night Shade Books fulfills its contractual and financial obligations to the authors it has already published, including full and accurate accounting of royalties per contract, with payment of any royalties outstanding.

The reports from our members indicate that Night Shade made great strides toward meeting that goal during the past year. However, through no fault of Night Shade Books, the initial probationary period ended before the publishing industry’s July royalty statements are due. This made it difficult to determine without doubt if Night Shade Books has met their commitments. The Board of Directors of SFWA discussed this with Night Shade and decided to grant the publisher an extension on their probationary period to give them time to send the July royalty statements.

The extension shall be until the statements have been sent to authors or for three months (October 8, 2011), whichever comes sooner. Until that time, Night Shade remains on probation.

After the term of probation for Night Shade is lifted, fiction contracted during that term will be viewed as acceptable for qualification for SFWA membership. As with the initial probationary period, no fiction contracted and paid for (by initial advance payment) before the term of probation will be affected by Night Shade’s probationary status.

During the probationary extension, and depending on member participation, SFWA will remain in contact with those members who have outstanding Night Shade contracts. If you have any questions, new information, or concerns, please contact me at vp@sfwa.org.

Through this entire process, Night Shade Books has been open and communicative with SFWA, responding swiftly to any concerns that were brought to their attention. We look forward to their continued cooperation and hope to see them restored to full qualifying status in the future.

Sincerely yours,

Mary Robinette Kowal
Vice President, Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America

"""""

I hope that this satisfies your concerns.

As for myself, I have had nothing but good experiences with NSB.

Scott

Date: 14 October, 2011 07:14AM
Yes, I read that on the SFWA website a month or so ago. I'm glad to hear you've never had any problems with them as a contributor, and it looks like they are on the right track. I guess we'll know soon, since the Oct. 8 date has just passed.. I myself (as a customer only) had a couple of terrible experiences with them (unprofessionally rude, curt replies to two polite queries), and haven't purchased anything from them since the first couple CAS volumes. But for the sake of the writers, editors, etc., for whom the SFWA approval potentially has fairly important implications, I do wish them the best.

Posted by: Douglas A. Anderson (IP Logged)
Date: 14 October, 2011 12:28PM
Scott Connors wrote:

> As for myself, I have had nothing but good experiences with NSB.

I have had nothing but bad experiences with Night Shade Books. They "hired"
me to fix volume 5 of their Hodgson series and supply six stories that they
didn't have (which held up publication for years). I did all the work and
they stiffed me on the payment. So while they are nice to Scott, that isn't
their behavior to everyone.

Doug A.

Date: 14 October, 2011 01:36PM
Can't say I'm too surprised. I guess you're not a SFWA member, but you still might be able to get NSB to pay you by threatening to mention this to Scalzi (or whoever is now President). I'd imagine they're highly motivated to redeem themselves, so they can start getting submissions, other than crap zombie lifestyle novels, from SF writers again. (For those not in the know, while NSB is on probation, nothing they publish qualifies an author for new membership status or for awards, though this would retroactively go away if they "pass").

Posted by: asshurbanipal (IP Logged)
Date: 16 October, 2011 04:31AM
The need for cheap paperback editions of Clark Ashton Smith's stories was met by Panther Books (GB) in the 1970s. They printed (and reprinted more than once)the volumes issued by Neville Spearman (GB) which were themselves reprints of the Arkham House titles. The Panther books were priced at 35 pence (then about 70 cents or so - I forget the exchange rate) and should now be a few dollars each - less if scruffy. Panther printed as many copies of the books as they could sell, so there is no rarity value attached to them. Good hunting.

Posted by: jdworth (IP Logged)
Date: 16 October, 2011 11:28AM
asshurbanipal Wrote:
> The need for cheap paperback editions of Clark
> Ashton Smith's stories was met by Panther Books
> (GB) in the 1970s. They printed (and reprinted
> more than once)the volumes issued by Neville
> Spearman (GB) which were themselves reprints of
> the Arkham House titles. The Panther books were
> priced at 35 pence (then about 70 cents or so - I
> forget the exchange rate) and should now be a few
> dollars each - less if scruffy. Panther printed as
> many copies of the books as they could sell, so
> there is no rarity value attached to them. Good
> hunting.

Looking at the Abebooks site, they begin (with Out of Space and Time, vol. 2; listed as vg with slight rubbing) at $7.34, but they quickly move into the $20 and over range.

Rather bizarrely, the last two items on the list are Other Dimensions vol. 1, described as: "has signs of wear, but remains fully functioning and easily readable", going for $136.34, and Other Dimensions II, listed as "good" and going for an astounding $433.33!

Even at Amazon, they show up beginning at a dollar or two, but then almost immediately jump to the $25 and over range, quickly going to $75 and over after that....

Posted by: K_A_Opperman (IP Logged)
Date: 16 October, 2011 01:15PM
I have had perforce to go the cheaper route to collect Smith, but I do not think it is possible to collect all of his stories in this way.

I own "The Emperor of Dreams," Fantasy Masterworks (bought at about $20, though I've seen it cheaper since), "A Rendezvous in Averoigne," (at about $5 (!), and in v. good condition), "The Maker of Gargoyles," (5), and "Return of the Sorcerer," (10), which is a new paperback, very easily acquired, and a fine way to get introduced to Smith. I got mine--wait for it--in a Borders store! Best day of my life! So rest assured, Smith has an occasional and tenuous presence in mainstream bookstores.

I haven't done the count yet, accounting for overlap and all that, but I think I own about the top 3rd of Smith's best. It's getting increasingly difficult to acquire volumes whose cost versus new content is worth the purchase. Damn, I wish I had all of his stories.... But in reality, that is not possible for me--a diehard Smith fan! If ever a full paperback set of his work becomes available...that will be a great day--for Smith, and for countless of his monetarily challenged fans. Luckily, I am young--I might live to see this happen...maybe....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16 Oct 11 | 01:17PM by K_A_Opperman.

Posted by: OConnor,CD (IP Logged)
Date: 16 October, 2011 04:24PM
K_A_Opperman Wrote:
> I have had perforce to go the cheaper route to
> collect Smith, but I do not think it is possible
> to collect all of his stories in this way.
>
> I own "The Emperor of Dreams," Fantasy Masterworks
> (bought at about $20, though I've seen it cheaper
> since), "A Rendezvous in Averoigne," (at about $5
> (!), and in v. good condition), "The Maker of
> Gargoyles," (5), and "Return of the Sorcerer,"
> (10), which is a new paperback, very easily
> acquired, and a fine way to get introduced to
> Smith. I got mine--wait for it--in a Borders
> store! Best day of my life! So rest assured, Smith
> has an occasional and tenuous presence in
> mainstream bookstores.
>
> I haven't done the count yet, accounting for
> overlap and all that, but I think I own about the
> top 3rd of Smith's best. It's getting increasingly
> difficult to acquire volumes whose cost versus new
> content is worth the purchase. Damn, I wish I had
> all of his stories.... But in reality, that is not
> possible for me--a diehard Smith fan! If ever a
> full paperback set of his work becomes
> available...that will be a great day--for Smith,
> and for countless of his monetarily challenged
> fans. Luckily, I am young--I might live to see
> this happen...maybe....

I believe you will. If I may make a suggestion, please check eBay. You'd be surprised at the plethora of CAS stuff they have. Also check biblio.com. I just have one volume of CAS tales entitled "A Vintage of Atlantis". One day I too hope to own every single CAS tale. Ever since reading the "Vintage Of Atlantis" collection I've been hooked. And yes it is troublesome to the eyes to read CAS online. I prefer a book.

Date: 16 October, 2011 08:10PM
Quote:
OConner, CD
I believe you will. If I may make a suggestion, please check eBay. You'd be surprised at the plethora of CAS stuff they have. Also check biblio.com. I just have one volume of CAS tales entitled "A Vintage of Atlantis". One day I too hope to own every single CAS tale. Ever since reading the "Vintage Of Atlantis" collection I've been hooked. And yes it is troublesome to the eyes to read CAS online. I prefer a book.

Any of the volumes I mentioned--excepting "The Maker of Gargoyles"--are must haves for a beginning collector who doesn't want to spend a lot of money. I have seen The Emperor of Dreams, a very generous selection, for as low as $4 on Amazon! And "Return of the Sorcerer," about 20 stories, all good ones, is easily had just about anywhere! Get those 2, and you'll have plenty of Smith to get you by for awhile!

Posted by: asshurbanipal (IP Logged)
Date: 17 October, 2011 10:11AM
$433! Strewth! And I gave mine away. I still have two copies of Genius Loci in Panther - a bit scruffy. Any offers?

Posted by: wilum pugmire (IP Logged)
Date: 17 October, 2011 10:29AM
S. T. is continuing his efforts to get CAS published by Penguin Classics.

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Date: 17 October, 2011 01:02PM
wilum pugmire Wrote:
> S. T. is continuing his efforts to get CAS
> published by Penguin Classics.

That would be a dream come true!

Posted by: wilum pugmire (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2011 01:27AM
I have just returned from S. T.'s Penguin Classics gig at our University Bookstore, where he had a signing to coincide with the Deluxe Edition of Penguin's THE CALL OF CTHULHU AND OTHER WEIRD STORIES. Sunand mention'd that, first thing tomorrow morning, he is sending two CAS books to his Penguin editor, the books being THE LAST OBLIVION (Hippocampus Press 2002) and some mass market pb edition of Smith's finest tales (the title of which I've forgotten). He is determined to get a Smith volume from Penguin; his doubts come from Penguin's reluctance to publish books that won't sell, and they seem very uncertain about Smith's saleability. Here's wishing him mass luck with this project!

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Date: 18 October, 2011 02:14AM
Very good news indeed! If that book gets the green light, it will be a major victory for Smith and fans. And if they print one Smith book, who knows what might happen...?

I don't see any reason the book couldn't be profitable. Smith's fanbase is growing every day, and the Penguin label might have the effect of making skeptics feel like it's 'okay' to read Smith now. If they give the book a really good cover, so much the better--covers are very important. As always, it'll be all about presentation--make it look pretty enough, and someone will buy it. And the accessibility of a Penguin paperback...sales, sales, sales. Get that thing in B&N, give it some good press, give it a really cool cover, and I can't see why it wouldn't float--even if it is CAS.

I just hope the selection doesn't overlap too much with other Smith collections (if Penguin gives the go-ahead)--especially "Return of the Sorcerer," (Prime books, 2009) which is a relatively new mass market pback that saw some shelf time in Borders (and elsewhere) a couple years back. An ideal volume would contain 20-30 stories, with a selection including some of Smith's stories that don't see the light as often as some others--such as "A Vintage from Atlantis," "The Mandrakes," "The Demon of the Flower," "Vulthoom," etc.

Do keep us informed, Mr. Pugmire!

Goto Page: Previous12345678AllNext
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page