Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
I Know CAS Was A Poe Aficionado, But Still....
Posted by: Absquatch (IP Logged)
Date: 6 March, 2011 07:20PM
This mistake at Amazon is quite funny, I think, though others, especially Night Shade and the book's editors, will likely disagree.

I'd add that the artwork on this erroneous cover is only a "shade" less dignified than the correct book cover. Anyway, "enjoy", while it's still up.

Re: I Know CAS Was A Poe Aficionado, But Still....
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 7 March, 2011 01:06PM
I must have missed something - what is this about, and what is "still up"?

Posted by: Jojo Lapin X (IP Logged)
Date: 7 March, 2011 01:14PM
It requires Internet access.

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 7 March, 2011 02:31PM
calonlan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I must have missed something - what is this about,
> and what is "still up"?

Amazon goofed and put another cover on the page for The Last Hieroglyph. It can be viewed at the link that can be found in the phrase "This mistake at Amazon" in Absquatch's post. And alas, it's still up. But it is rather funny.

Date: 7 March, 2011 07:35PM
I didn't recognize "this mistake at Amazon" as a link -

Date: 7 March, 2011 07:38PM
If you click "Lenore" it takes you to the actual cover - kind of interesting - wonder what "lenore" is all about?

Posted by: Absquatch (IP Logged)
Date: 8 March, 2011 06:46AM
Yes, when you see text as a different color, then that means that a link is embedded. The color shift is kind of subtle, so it's easy to miss.

So far as I know, and I could be mistaken, Lenore is a cheesy "goth" comic, along the lines of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac and other things that appeal to the younger generation for reasons which this increasingly middle-aged fellow (me) fails to understand.

Date: 8 March, 2011 11:40AM
Generally the rule is, the more tasteless and offensive an thing may be to persons of taste and refinement (us older types), the more likely the younger folk will love it - disapproval by one's elders is a major component in determining the taste in music and the arts among the young - how far we have come from the deep yearning I felt, and the joy of advancement over at last being allowed to wear "long pants" - the sign that the elders recognized you as a man - sort of a protestant "bar mitzvah" - my generation longed to become adults - a goal apparently of little interest to many of our youth -

has Amazon been advised of this error?

Posted by: cathexis (IP Logged)
Date: 8 March, 2011 04:29PM
Calonlan,

Are you sure that's what's going on?

Because all three of my daughters were/are quite rigorous in reminding me that they *already were* adults even
though I thought they were still adolescent. In fact, they would inform me, not only were they grown-up but also
they already knew much more than I ever even thought I knew. It used to be that I might ponder in a weakly
philosophical manner what really were the limits of Human Knowledge in general and my personal possesion thereof
in particular. But luckily for me I have three daughters who were quick to inform me that I knew nothing at all.
Thank Goodness I got that cleared up!

Nowadays two of them are in college and these two have become remarkably humble and no longer claim any
omniscience whatsoever. Fortunately, I still have Rosie ( 6th year Latin Student by the way) still at home
until this summer and - like the Oak-Wreath Bearer in Ancient Roman Triumphs - She never tires in telling
me, "Remember, thou knoweth nothing compared to me."

Why does "King Lear" interest me more now than it ever did ?

Cathexis

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 9 March, 2011 02:07AM
Absquatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This mistake at Amazon is quite funny, I think,
> though others, especially Night Shade and the
> book's editors, will likely disagree.
>
> I'd add that the artwork on this erroneous cover
> is only a "shade" less dignified than the correct
> book cover. Anyway, "enjoy", while it's still up.

Yeah, I saw this. I did think it was funny. No biggie--feces occur.

Scott

Date: 9 March, 2011 10:40AM
your experience reflects the common condition - Mark Twain once observed that when he was 17 his father was the stupidest man in America, but when he was 21 he was amazed at how much the old man had learned in only 4 years.
Delighted to read of a kid with 6 years of Latin - she might enjoy some of the Classics in the Loeb Classical Library editions - I also recommend www.lexfiles.com, and the link to "the basic 14" at the bottom of the home page - for her, that should be a snap -
My kids had a bit of a problem in that their Dad holds two doctorates, and that overheard conversations between him and a colleague would be utterly incomprehensible - so they decided that while Dad was pretty smart, the things he cared about didn't matter in the "real" world - now as they near middle age we find a Masters in English, a Masters from Oxford in business communication (CEO of NCWIT), a Chemical engineer, and a design engineer - all of whom go to plays, love the opera and the symphony, and are extensively well-read - so it comes full circle - and, I subjected all of them to CAS when old enough -
lots of fun -

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page