Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
request for correspondence -
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 11 July, 2011 03:10PM
not relevant to anything going on - I have lost the email of one Keith Opperman, a young aspiring writer who contacted me through ED - Keith, write me again - Sorry to interrupt the usual flow - this youngster wants to meet DSF, and I am trying to assist with this.

Re: request for correspondence -
Posted by: K_A_Opperman (IP Logged)
Date: 27 July, 2011 07:55PM
Just for the record, my name is not Keith; but the public need only know me as K. A. Opperman, as I sign my stories and poems. Calonlan, thanks for being concerned enough to post this!

Since so many people, wondering what this post is all about, are going to see this, and will no doubt be bored by its lack of relevance and discussion, I will supply a remedy for that boredom...seek out the story "The Shackled Tome," by yours truly, and your ennui, for the nonce, will surely dissipate. Hopefully.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27 Jul 11 | 08:25PM by K_A_Opperman.

Date: 2 August, 2011 10:15PM
Forgive my youthful rashness...my above post has nothing whatever to do with CAS, and therefore does not belong there. It was really an underhanded way of trying to gain readership--but anything that draws attention away from CAS on his own site is surely a no no. It was my first post here, and the lure of self promotion was too great for this unknown, aspiring writer. Alas--forgive me! (But--my story, available in the archives of Dark Fire Fiction, will definitely appeal to readers of weird psychological/supernatural fiction...sorry, I can't help it! :)

I will just take this opportunity to say hello to the Eldritch Dark community. I am an aspiring fiction writer and poet, and am of course obsessively devoted to CAS and his work (and of course, that of the other greats of weird fiction). I've been lurking in the shadows for quite some time...this site is truly a marvel. I was especially thrilled by the audio recordings of Smith reciting his own poetry! I've always wondered what Lovecraft's voice sounded like...but I suppose we'll never know.

What are you doing still reading this? Go read some CAS!

--K. A. Opperman

Posted by: Mikeabo123 (IP Logged)
Date: 3 August, 2011 01:57AM
Mssr. Opperman,

I read through your poems on the Absent Willow Review website and I enjoyed them immensely. Excellent job! Your rhythmic sense is pretty damn impeccable, and I really like your style (that is, your syntax, melodies, &c.) Excellent poesy - will read your story (which I found online) quite soon. Keep it up, man!

Mike

Date: 3 August, 2011 01:38PM
Thanks Mikeabo123! But those poems you read are grossly amateurish compared to the poems I'm writing these days--not trying to sound arrogant, it's just true! (I'm more belittling my old poems than praising my new ones). The only three poems I currently have published were written long ago, when I was still trying to find my voice. They relied on assonant rhymes, and uneven meters. Now I'm far more strict about such things. I used to let slide such rhymes as, say, "see" and "agreed"--but no longer. None of the greats would let that slide--CAS sure wouldn't (99% of the time...I think I've seen a poem of his that solely uses assonant rhymes)--so why should I? Besides, writing within more strict confines makes the challenge greater, and therefore increases the fun of writing poetry!

The problem is, I haven't gotten around to sending out my better stuff yet--which numbers about 10 or so solid works written within the last 6 months. Several of them I recently "retrofitted" to meet my nascent higher standards...a rather difficult task!

I see no harm in posting the first two stanzas of the poem I'm currently writing. CAS is among my foremost poetic influences...you will see what I mean by 'stricter standards' in rhyme and meter.

Hallowe'en (excerpt of draft)

by K. A. Opperman

Carved pumpkins glow from porches dark
With lurid goblin grins:
Each flickerlingly brands its mark
In haunted air, silent anarch
Of bale that soon begins...
Of weird diablerie that reigns 'til ring morning matins...

Leaves sweep and scatter as they flee
A coming nameless dread:
They flit through lantern witchery,
Skip oe'r the dark, tree-shadowed lea
Where no one dares to tread,
For fear of devils in the fog, and being pixy-led.

Now, bear in mind that this is the rough version! I cannot post the whole thing because A, it is unfinished, and B, it would compromise my ability to have it published. Well, it's a passable representation of my current style and ability.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page