Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The Lost Books – of Averoigne
Posted by: stevereplogle (IP Logged)
Date: 20 August, 2011 01:11PM
Every few years, I reread my favorite Smith stories, often beginning with my personal touchstones, the Ballantine paperbacks edited by Lin Carter. Those were the first I purchased, as a teenager, and they were followed by a number of other paperbacks and (happily) some hardcovers.

Just as often, I regret the loss of an Averoigne volume from Ballantine. I imagine that there are other readers who feel the same way, and who hoped that Donald M. Grant's Averoigne collection would provide a sense of completion. It has been, however, almost twenty years since THE AVEROIGNE CHRONICLES was proposed. It seems that this book has also become "lost."

I can only guess that a twenty-year delay has brought an end to whatever contracts were signed regarding the CHRONICLES. It was hoped that the recent renaissance of Smith publications - especially the exceptional Nightshade hardcovers - would encourage Robert Weiner to complete publication of THE AVEROIGNE CHRONICLES, but apparently that was not the case.

Members of this forum might think I am being overly sentimental, but I would like to gather bibliographic information on these two "lost" books. I think that if we can't have the books themselves, this might offer some compensation for what is so noticeably missing from our library shelves.

I've searched this site (and many years back, posted questions and received some replies). Here is what has been shared.

BALLANTINE'S AVEROIGNE,
EDITED BY LIN CARTER

In this forum, ngchristakos replied to my query (again, this was many years ago!) by writing that Lin Carter's AVEROIGNE proposal was composed in 1977 and reprinted in THE DARK EIDOLON #3. Carter's edition was to include the following: The Maker of Gargoyles, The Holiness of Azederac, The Colossus of Ylorgne, The Beast of Averoigne, The Mandrakes, The Disinterment of Venus, The Satyr, The End of the Story, A Rendezvous in Averoigne, Mother of Toads, The Enchantress of Sylaire, Pages from "The Black Book" and Notes for Unwritten Stories.

I don't have a copy of THE DARK EIDOLON #3, but there are some questions that remain. Does the list, above, present the order in which Carter intended to arrange his edition? Were there any poems that Carter planned to include? I find it hard to believe otherwise, given the approach of his other Smith books. What were the "Notes for Unwritten Stories?" Did Carter plan - again, as we might expect - to include other medieval or European-flavored stories in his collection, such as A Night in Malneant? Finally, does an introduction or afterword for AVEROIGNE exist among Carter's papers?

DONALD M. GRANT'S THE AVEROIGNE CHRONICLES,
EDITED BY RON HILGER

The manuscript was prepared in 1990, and accepted by Robert Weinberg for Donald M. Grant Books in 1991. It was intended to be published as centennial tribute to Smith in 1993, in a format similar to AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS. The book was delayed many times as Robert Weinberg seemed to focus exclusively upon publishing Stephen King books.

Production: the book was to have a leather cover with an embossed design on the front, and a full-page color illustration for each story by Fernando Duvall. Later, it was reported that Thomas Canty was providing illustrations.

Other Features: there was to be a map, an introduction by Gahan Wilson, and an afterword by Donald Sidney-Fryer. Ron Hilger wrote: "I wished that Lin Carter had been able to include the projected Averoigne series with the other CAS titles Ballantine published; THE AVEROIGNE CHRONICLES is dedicated to Lin Carter for this reason."

Order of Stories: in this forum, Jim suggested that A Night in Malneant be included as an epilogue, especially as the "old-world city" atmosphere seemed to fit the 18th century. Ron Hilger responded: "If you compare it to the first tale in the series, The Maker of Gargoyles, they both seem to be set in a similar time period, both having inns and cathedrals at approximately the same level of civilization. It could have gone either way, but I really liked ending the series with The End of the Story, and in the end that is what decided the matter."

Editorial: Ron Hilger wrote that he considered changing The Beast of Averoigne by substituting the original version for the Arkham version. He did not pursue revision out of concern that it might delay the publication further.

Poems: "Averoigne" from the collection THE DARK CHATEAU, "The Dark Chateau" itself, "Amithaine," "O Golden-Tongued Romance," "Song of the Necromancer," and also the prose poems "In Cocaigne" and "The Broken Lute." Ron Hilger wrote: "The poems contain strong mediaeval themes and were chosen to reflect favorably on the stories in whose proximity they appear. Thirteen poems allow for a poem between every tale and ending with Lovecraft's fine tribute to Smith, "Lord of Averoigne."'

The most recent news from Ron Hilger in this forum was shared in 2007: "Work on the remaining details (mostly artwork by Tom Canty and interior design work) has begun again the last few months. Very little remains to be done except the actual printing."

This is a lot of information, but there are still some unanswered questions. What exactly were the stories to be included, and in what order? Would the order correspond to the internal chronology posted in this forum by Boyd Pearson, which was in turn adapted from Cockroft's article in NYCATALOPS #7? We have the titles for eight of the thirteen poems, but what were the others?

In my imagination, there's a small Ballantine paperback of AVEROIGNE with a beautiful cover by Gervasio Gallardo. Inside, there are Carter's notes, entertaining and informative (and occasionally self-important). On the same shelf, there's a beautiful leather-bound hardcover from Donald M. Grant, with Thomas Canty's artwork, very different from Gallardo of course, but just as expressive.

In this reality, I'd appreciate help in creating a more complete bibliographic picture of these two lost books.

- Steve

Re: The Lost Books – of Averoigne
Date: 20 August, 2011 03:35PM
In the above post, I mistakenly refer to Robert Weinberg as Robert Weiner - please excuse the error!

Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 22 August, 2011 11:07AM
Steve- although I've been pretty busy these last several years with the Night Shade CAS series, I have never given up on the Averoigne collection. Perhaps I should have, or at least attempted to publish the book myself. However, what I have done is to continually remind and encourage Donald Grant Publishers to bring out this book; and now, coincidentally, you can expect Robert Wiener to issue a newsletter announcing the publication of "The Averoigne Chronicles" in the near future. I have no idea of the publication date, but expect the official announcement in the next week or so. I will post the newsletter here on the Forum as soon as it's available. Believe it!
-Ron

Here is the TOC info you asked about:

THE AVEROIGNE CHRONICLES

INTRODUCTION by Gahan Wilson
A NOTE ON THE TEXT AND MAP by Ron Hilger

AVEROIGNE
A Night in Malneant
THE NEVERMORE-TO-BE
The Maker of Gargoyles
THE BROKEN LUTE
The Holiness of Azedarac
IN COCAIGNE
The Colossus of Ylourgne
NECROMANCY
The Enchantress of Sylaire
AMITHAINE
The Beast of Averoigne
SONG OF THE NECROMANCER
Mother of Toads
THE WITCH WITH EYES OF AMBER
A Rendezvous in Averoigne
THE DARK CHATEAU
The Mandrakes
CANTICLE
The Satyr
CAMBION
The Disinterment of Venus
"O GOLDEN-TONGUED ROMANCE"
The End of the Story
TO KLARKASH-TON, LORD OF AVEROIGNE by H.P. Lovecraft

AVEROIGNE: AN AFTERWORD By Donald Sidney-Fryer

Date: 23 August, 2011 10:06PM
Thank you, Ron, for sharing the bibliographic information, and thank you as well for your welcome news. I should have noted that, when I began to read fantasy as a young man, I "graduated" from Ballantine (and Lancer, and Ace) to Donald Grant books - my first fantasy hardcovers. I am still quite proud of my first edition of DSF's Emperor of Dreams. So I will keep my fingers crossed!

Date: 28 August, 2011 11:34AM
Continuing in the quest for information, I purchased a tribute book to Lin Carter titled "Apostle of Letters." It is edited by Stephen J. Servello and published by Wild Cat Books. I purchased on online copy that was immediately downloadable as a .PDF. The book includes an article by Dan Clore, "The Ballantine Adult Fantasy Books That Never Were." He presents Carter quotes from various sources, usually his chatty introductions or afterwords, and alluding to dozens of possible Ballantine books that would have been produced if Carter had been able to continue the project.

The pertinent information about CAS:

"Proposed titles include Kalood (1975), Ydmos (1976), Averoigne (1977), Sadastor (1978), and Malnéant. See Lin Carter, 'Projected Clark Ashton Smith Collections,' in The Dark Eidolon: The Journal of Smith Studies, #3 Winter 1993, for tentative content lists. Also: 'For Ballantine’s Adult Fantasy Series, I edited Smith’s fantasy series and related titles into individual volumes called Zothique, Hyperborea, Poseidonis, and Xiccarph. There was to have been a fifth volume called Malnéant, but it was canceled.' (Kingdoms of Sorcery, 216.)"

Some of the above seems slightly less than serious, and may have simply resulted from the habits of a professional writer and editor, always scrambling for work by throwing out possible projects at the drop of a hat. "Kingdoms of Sorcery" was a Ballantine-like anthology published by Doubleday in 1976, several years after the Ballantine Adult Fantasy line was discontinued.

Still, it would be nice to know what stories were noted in the "tentative content lists " published in "The Dark Eidolon #3." I have looked online in vain. Could someone excerpt and post that information here?

Ideally, I would like to end up with enough bibliographic material to complete an article on this topic for the "Criticism" section of this site.

Date: 28 August, 2011 11:44AM
I would also like to share that I sent a note about these matters to Robert M. Price. He is the literary executor for Lin Carter and an interesting author and publisher in his own right.

He sent me a gracious reply that included the following: "I think I published Lin's list of stories for these collections in an old issue of Crypt of Cthulhu... it would be in one of the three Lin Carter issues or the CAS issue (# 27?)."

Again, I looked online. Many issues are available - sometimes entire issues, sometimes just certain articles - but not the ones he mentioned. Does a member of this forum have access? Could you post that information here?

Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 17 October, 2011 10:30AM
Here is the newsletter I mentioned earlier; hope the link works, but I was unable to check as I am not very web-savy.

Welcome to issue #72 of the Donald M. Grant Newsletter

11 October 2011

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. THE AVEROIGNE CHRONICLES
2. DESPERATION - GIFT EDITION
3. ROBERT MCGINNIS - VISIONS

1. THE AVEROIGNE CHRONICLES

In production, with an expected release in the Spring of 2012, is
THE AVEROIGNE CHRONICLES edited by noted Clark
Ashton Smith scholar Ronald S. Hilger with an introduction
by Gahan Wilson, afterword by Donald Sidney-Fryer and
illustrated by Brazilian artist Fernando Duval (illustrator of
the Grant edition of H.P. Lovecraft’s AT THE MOUNTAINS 
OF MADNESS).

Containing the 12 short stories and 11 poems Clark Ashton
Smith wrote about the imaginary French province of
Averoigne, Ronald S. Hilger has researched Smith’s original
manuscripts to produce the most authentic version of these
works yet published.

To see one of the color illustrations go to:

www.secure.grantbooks.com/z-titles-Averoigne-Chronicles.html

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 17 October, 2011 11:04AM
YAAY!! :D

Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 October, 2011 04:10PM
Wow! This is great news! Congratulations, Ron! Please let us know as soon as they release preorder infomration. I have been looking forward to this for years, and finally just got tired of asking them every 3 or 4 months when there still had been no updates, despite other titltes popping in and out of the queue during the interim.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page