Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Hapy Birthday Clark Ashton Smith
Posted by: Boyd (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2004 01:26PM
Clark Ashton Smith (January 13th, 1893 - August 14, 1961) 111 years old today and going stronger than ever. It is sad for him, but true of many a great artist, that fame and recognition come posthumously. Were he alive today his fiction would make him a fugal income but looking at the market-place I'm sure he would be shrewd enough to turn his hand to a novel or two.

There has never been a time in which so many CAS works have been available to the public:
The Double Shadow, The Last Oblivion: The Best Fantstic Poetry Of Clark Ashton Smith, The Black Diamonds, The Selected Letters of Clark Ashton Smith, A Rendezvous In Averoigne, Nostalgie de l'Inconnu, Clark Ashton Smith: Emperor of Dreams, Necropolis, The Book of Eibon and The Sword Of Zagan And Other Writings.

Even his guru has just been brought back in to print -The Thirst of Satan by George Sterling.

Yea, in those ultimate lands that will outlast the Earth,
Being but dream and fable, myth and fantasy,
I shall forget ... or find some image reared of thee,
Dreadful and radiant, far from death, remote from birth.
-Farewell to Eros

The history of nations is the same as that of worlds and individuals-birth, youth, maturity, age, and Death-or, more scientifically, integration and disintegration.
-Letter to Sterling

Re: Hapy Birthday Clark Ashton Smith
Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2004 08:07PM
Hey Boyd-
Guess it must already be the 13th in the land (way) down under. We're not quite there yet here in California, but will certainly raise a glass to toast the Master in advance! DSF is performing at the Auburn Library this Sat, partially in honor of CAS' B-day but also to celebrate and promote his new collection of poetry. If any CAS fans live close enough, you should really try to attend, Don is a great dramatic performer and I promise you won't be disappointed!

Quite an impressive list of titles you've mentioned, especially considering that only a year or so ago there was NOTHING in print from CAS! What is "Necropolis" that you've mentioned? Also, is "The Sword of Zagan" out now? I've been lucky enough to read this in manuscript, but still can't wait to see the book . . .
IA CAS!
-Ron

Posted by: Boyd (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2004 01:07PM
Necropolis is a German anthology, there is also a Spanish anthology in print I just have to track down the details. Sword of Zagan has not actually shipped yet but is still on track for latter this month so I included it. It is quite amazing the amount of material out there - I'll be able to shut up shop soon :-)

I'm not that familiar with DSF's own poetry I must try to get some (recommended publications?). I am really enjoying the Sterling collection, must see what can be done to get more of him out there.

B.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2004 09:16AM
Yes, dear friends - a toast indeed is in order - burgundy, black bread and a fine
sharp cheese - "the sunset gonfalons are furled..."
"Zagan" has been released, I expect my copies any day now.
Feb. 15 we will hold a book signing at Barnes & Noble in Corpus Christi. We are
expecting DSF to arrive to participate in the event, and are attempting to line
up some gigs for him while he is here.
Wish you could all join in.
Dr. Farmer

ps. I note that my pen name, Calonlan, has been showing up under the new format.
This is Welsh for "a clean heart". Also it is the title of a wonderful welsh
hymn sung during the wedding scene in "How green was my valley" (and at my
son's wedding some years back).

Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2004 11:28AM
Congratulations Esteem'd Calonlan, (it occurs to me that "a clean heart " is extremely appropriate given your medical history!!)
Great news about "Zagan" I'll be sure get some ordered ASAP.
Boyd- Wildside press has copies of Don's new collection "SONGS AND SONNETS ATLANTEAN: the second series" available at $15.00, but if you give me a chance I'll see about getting you an inscribed copy from "The Last of the Courtly Poets" himself.
Cheers!
-Ron

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 15 January, 2004 08:51AM
Dear Ron - you are quite correct about my choice of Pen name -

I planned to send you and scott a "freeby" for your contribution to the effort -
do you want me to do that?

Dr. F

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 15 January, 2004 03:45PM
Speaking for myself, mind you, I just _love_ freebies! Thank you, Herr Doktor. _Danke sehr_! Best, Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page