Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The Double Shadow
Posted by: Atropos (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2004 01:33PM
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone had picked up the Wildside Press reprinting of The Double Shadow. I've read all the stories; I'm just wondering if it is a handsome volume that would be worth adding to a CAS collection. Also, anyone care to comment on the logic of returning another CAS sampler to print (even one selected by CAS himself)? While it is always a good thing for another CAS book to be in print, it seems that most publishers have, as of late, only been printing wide-ranging CAS short story selections which lack theme or organization (with the exception of Hippocampus and Nightshade, who have been doing great work in printing newly discovered CAS). Arkham House's Rendezvous reprint, Gollancz's The Emperor of Dreams and now Wildside's The Double Shadow are all just scratching the tip of the iceberg. They seem to provide introductions for those unacquainted with CAS instead of doing what I think needs to be done: a systematic return to print of CAS's prose. Necronomicon Press seemed to be embarking upon this course with Tales of Zothique and The Book of Hyperborea; sadly, no more volumes have followed and the previous installments are no longer easily available. Many stories of Averoigne, as well as some of CAS's sci-fi and weird fiction, haven't been reprinted since the Arkham House editions. While I understand the obstacles to such a project, it seems that interest in CAS and his work is waxing, perhaps enough to make a project of this magnitude financially feasible.

Re: The Double Shadow
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2004 04:06PM
Something of this sort is in the works, but now is not the time to speak of it. Once negotiations are completed and contracts signed, then I will have news to gladden all of your hearts. Best, Scott

PS: The WS edition of DOUBLE SHADOW is a very handsome book indeed.

Posted by: John Betancourt (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2004 08:42PM
I can say (being slightly biased as the publisher and designer of the book) that the Wildside Press edition of The Double Shadow is quite nice. I love the cover art in particular. It's on the Wildside Press web site if you want to see a 3" image of it (www.wildsidepress.com).

-- John

Posted by: Atropos (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2004 09:40PM
I must say that the cover artwork is beautiful. I'll probably have to pick this one up in hardcover; I'm a sucker for a good dust jacket.

Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 January, 2004 11:04PM
If Scott's news concerns a Smith title, that knowledge is sufficient to gladden my heart.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page