Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
'Goyle-Friend in a Comma
Posted by: treycelement (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2011 04:20AM
Jus' back from an "Xtreem Punqtu8" cage-match in Saskatchewan, as part of the build-up for Punctuathon 2012 (and yeah, it WAS lit'rally in a cage: the R.C.S.P.P.P.E.* is tryin' -- mistakenly, IMO -- to draw in the "kidz" and "da yoot"). Anyway, in the melée section, each contestant was able to introduce a personally chosen, unpunctuated text for his compunctators to work on. I'd gone with an obscure Hawthorne extract myself and my thoughts were far from CAS, I must confess, as I threw myself into the fray... So imagine my surprise and pleasure to discover that someone ELSE had chosen four paragraphs from "The Maker of Gargoyles" as HIS punctu-text. (Earnt m'self max-marx there, I'm happy to report.)

Got talkin' to th' individual in question later over a glass-a carrot-juice and we discovered not just a mutually shared passion for CAS'n'commas in common, but also a dedication to confronting issues around Islamophobia (too). I've promised to try'n'wrangle him a place on my next fact-finding mission to Pakistan/Afghanistan, tho' he was dubious about being taken up the Khyber. Understandably so, given the sensitivity of the region.

*R.C.S.P.P.P.E. = Royal Canadian Society for the Promotion and Preservation of Pure English, who oversee Punctuathons an' similar.

P.S. Just to be clear: despite the title of this posting, I despise Morrissey, Marr, and (in particular) their severed alliance. In fact, if Morrissey, Marr, and Cormac McCarthy were lined up, blindfolded, against a wall and I were handed a rifle and two bullets, I'd have to think LONG and HARD -- VERY hard -- b4 shootin' McCarthy twice.

“The true independent is he who dwells detached and remote from the little herds as well as from the big herd. Affiliating with no group or cabal of mice or monkeys, he is of course universally suspect.” — The Black Book of Gore Vidal.

Re: 'Goyle-Friend in a Comma
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 23 December, 2011 10:21AM
Have you encountered this little challenge - I used to dare my students to get this right, and awarded extra points when they succeeded -

punctuate: That that is is that that is not is not that that is is not that that is not

only requires two commas and two semi-colons and a period - Though, of course, periods may be used in lieu of semi-colons, they are not preferred.

Posted by: treycelement (IP Logged)
Date: 6 January, 2012 04:08AM
calonlan wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you encountered this little challenge - I
> used to dare my students to get this right, and
> awarded extra points when they succeeded -

Sorry, Calonlan, I didn't spot you'd replied.

> punctuate: That that is is that that is not is
> not that that is is not that that is not

No, I've not encountered that before. I'd try to do it, but I might not be able to. lol!

> only requires two commas and two semi-colons and a
> period - Though, of course, periods may be used in
> lieu of semi-colons, they are not preferred.

“The true independent is he who dwells detached and remote from the little herds as well as from the big herd. Affiliating with no group or cabal of mice or monkeys, he is of course universally suspect.” — The Black Book of Gore Vidal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 6 Jan 12 | 04:16AM by treycelement.

Posted by: K_A_Opperman (IP Logged)
Date: 6 January, 2012 01:28PM
Uncertainty of total victory is a poor excuse for not attempting something. I tried--and failed horribly; and I like to think there was something of glory in my brazen failure. ;)

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 8 January, 2012 07:52PM
OK - here it is -- That that is, is; that that is not, is not; that that is is not that that is not.

all of which may depend, as Mr. Clinton suggested, on the meaning of "is" -

Small side note entirely off the track- On YouTube you can find a young Turk name Berk Agar - his graduate recital of Albenez' "Asturias" is there, and subsequent excerpts from CD's of this newly founded group, "Mundo" - playing international popular and folk music - at present mostly Turkish, South American, Spanish et al - and some original and very interesting stuff - I know the kid very well and have given him a few helpful suggestion in the use of his voice, and general stuff about how to present himself (themselves) in a professional way on stage, his group presently performs in a little Turkish coffee house attached to an interesting place called "half-price books" - I believe they are good enough to perhaps become a significant force in this rather esoteric genre' - but well worth a listen - It is remarkable enough to have come from Turkey to Corpus Christi, Texas and, after arriving, decidinh to study Classical Guitar - The two principals in this little group are really astonishingly gifted - - sorry to stray from the thread, but thought it worthy of a mention.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page