Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
A Robert Hayward Barlow project I wish to tackle in the far off future.
Posted by: OConnor,CD (IP Logged)
Date: 29 December, 2011 03:37AM
A project has lingered in the forefront of my mind for a while now. It originated from a question posed to me by someone on this board awhile back. There online name eludes me, but he asked "Why does R.H. Barlow fascinate you so much?" From there I decided this work must come to fruition in its appointed time.

What is this project you may ask? Well, how can I answer in a way where my reasons don't seem over done. The best way I think is to simply state them, refuting what others may say. This project will be a biography on R.H. Barlow himself. But the thing that worries me is how many times has a project like this been done. How many times will I be regurgitating information already known? I know I don't stand a chance against the master biographers like S.T. Joshi or Scott Connors (without there work I wouldn't know as much about Barlow as I do now), but I must give it my best shot. This urge comes from passion, and a prodding feeling of familiarity. It's weird but I feel a strange connection with Mr. Barlow, as if he wants me to complete this project after I put out my own string of fiction. Many people who read this message may laugh or think I'm insane. I don't blame you. I've been doing it to myself for months. But while reading indepth on Barlow's life, I've found frightening parallels. I won't get into them. There will be plenty of time for that in the future. I just want to say this idea stems from a great zeal and gratitude toward Mr. Barlow. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have found the courage to develop my fiction writing muscles, the tenacity to go after other things (like an archival internship I'll be taking this spring at school) and the repose to show the world who I am. I don't plan to do this for financial gain and may even self publish it. Basically, the project is a labor of love. Nothing more, nothing less.

Although, I know Scott Connors has a project for Barlow in the works. The last thing I'd want to do is impede on him. And in reality I know I have a lot of research ahead of me, avenues to things that are probably blocked off to someone like me. I have a vast collection of Barlow memorabilia, but that is hardly sufficient enough to attain my vision. I know I will need the guidance of S.T. Joshi (who has always guided me in developing my fiction skills, to which I personally want to thank him), Scott Connors, and anyone else who can give me information. Plus, I feel a good 8 hours over a span of a week or more in the Brown University library in Providence will be a great help.

This thread is becoming lengthy. I will end it here and continue later. Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this.

Re: A Robert Hayward Barlow project I wish to tackle in the far off future.
Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 29 December, 2011 09:18AM
Great idea! I look forward to seeing any book on Barlow.

I think someone has started work on a Barlow biography, but I can't remember his name (I think it was a European name, though -- but not Massimo Berruti, who recently published a study of Barlow's work).

Posted by: wilum pugmire (IP Logged)
Date: 29 December, 2011 11:06AM
Barlow fascinates me as well, to the point of obsession. I've included him as character in some passages of SOME UNKNOWN GULF OF NIGHT and elsewhere in my many books, and keep mentally seeking that one real core idea of a work in which he is a major character. Life has been too absurd for me to yet begin the new study of his writing from Hippocampus Press, DIM-REMEMBERED STORIES--A CRITICAL STUDY OF R. H. BARLOW, by Massimo Berruti.

I think that Barlow is fascinating enough to warrant more than one biography, and you may be able to bring your own personal perspectives to the story of his life. I encourage you to go ahead with this project, as I will certainly want to read it. It's strange, how close I feel to Barlow. Perhaps that is linked to the fact that we are both queer, and it pains me to think that he destroyed himself because of ignoble homophobia--and yet I don't know if that is in fact the case. I'd like to get the facts of the matter. S. T. Joshi will be paying me a visit tomorrow, I think I'll ask him if he knows for certain concerning some of these matters.

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29 Dec 11 | 11:07AM by wilum pugmire.

Posted by: K_A_Opperman (IP Logged)
Date: 29 December, 2011 01:41PM
Go for it, man! Sounds to me as if you've really got no choice in the matter--that happens to us writers. You've been planning the thing forever--sounds like you've got your plan of attack figured out at least in part--which is huge. One step at a time, remember. It will come together more as you progress.

If you are brave enough to really tackle this dream project of yours--you, sir, are anything but insane. It's letting these things go--belittling one's aspirations--that is insane.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 29 December, 2011 11:16PM
OConnor,CD Wrote:
[snippage]
I know
> I don't stand a chance against the master
> biographers like S.T. Joshi or Scott Connors
> (without there work I wouldn't know as much about
> Barlow as I do now), but I must give it my best
> shot. This urge comes from passion, and a prodding
> feeling of familiarity. [snippage]

Don't hold back because of me. My projected piece on Barlow concentrates solely on the fallout from his handling of Lovecraft's literary estate and the implications this had for the publication of Smith's collection INCANTATION.

Scott

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 29 December, 2011 11:17PM
Martinus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great idea! I look forward to seeing any book on
> Barlow.
>
> I think someone has started work on a Barlow
> biography, but I can't remember his name (I think
> it was a European name, though -- but not Massimo
> Berruti, who recently published a study of
> Barlow's work).

I think you are referring to Marcos Legaria, who actually lives in California.

Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page