Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Definition Of "Planturous"?
Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 27 February, 2004 11:59AM
Dr. Farmer's remarks in his post about critics' versus readers' responses to CAS's work led me to re-read parts of "The Monster of the Prophecy". In paragraph four, there is a reference to a poem's "planturous lyricism". Does anyone here know what planturous means? I cannot find this word in either my Webster's Third International Dictionary (unabridged) or in the online version of the OED. A Google search shows it turning up in CAS's tale and in--I'm sure CAS would be delighted--Finnegans Wake, and that's about it! It's a minor point, but I'd be grateful for any assistance here.

Re: Definition Of "Planturous"?
Posted by: Geierstein (IP Logged)
Date: 27 February, 2004 12:56PM
It may help you to know that in French "plantureux" means "abundant" when one talks about food and "plump" when one talks about a woman. So I guess it's a more exotic form of the "adorned" word often used in the Black Book.

Posted by: Boyd (IP Logged)
Date: 27 February, 2004 03:43PM
Kevin Shelton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> A Google search shows it turning up in CAS's tale
> and in--I'm sure CAS would be delighted--Finnegans
> Wake, and that's about it!

CAS hated Joyce see SLoCAS pg 198.

My own plantorus research on the word Plantorus turns up the same info as Geierstein. A cute example comes from an 1920's essay title Poe and His Polish Contemporary

Quote:
Both were sadly deficient in planturous humor and the Attic salt that conserves the self-mockery of Heine.

Date: 27 February, 2004 04:04PM
"CAS hated Joyce see SLoCAS pg 198."

Oh, I know--I was being sarcastic. I hate Joyce, too!

Thanks to you both for the information. "Abundant" seems a correct and logical synonym. It's odd that I couldn't find it in the online OED, though!

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 1 March, 2004 09:09AM
Dear Kevin,
I am delighted to hear you are a musician - what do you play/sing/et al?
I have not checked the OED either online or in the Library, but if
indeed they do not have this word, it would be a supreme act of
kindness to inform them with appropriate references -- and oh to be
there when they read the letter and watch the hauteur vanish as they
deflate.
Dr. Farmer

Date: 1 March, 2004 03:23PM
Hello, Dr. Farmer.

Well, to be candid, I'm not certain that you would consider me to be much of a musician, since I was "trained" on the electric bass, and now compose what is variously called electronic music, electrocaoustic music, or computer music, depending on whom one asks. I love the weird sonorities that such musical tools make possible, and find them to be perfect for sonically evoking the outer dimensions that are so dear to me. My aim, someday, is to produce "the music of Erich Zann"! In the interval, I do my best to approximate such tones. One of my pieces in this "interval" is entitled Ubbo-Sathla! My next CD is scheduled to appear late this Spring, and I may dedicated it to the memory of CAS. The dedication might read somewhat as follows: "Dedicated to the memory of Clark Ashton Smith, intrepid explorer of half-worlds, shattered dimensions, and Pluriverses". (No one seems to read Benjamin Paul Blood anymore, although, of course, CAS did ;-) ).

I thought about responding to your post about listing favorite works by CAS, and why, but, when I thought more about the matter, I realized that, for me, at least, it is really far too personal a thing than I would like to post publicly!

I checked the print version of the OED at work--I assume that it is a reasonably up-to-date edition--and, it, too, did not contain the word planturous. I wonder whether CAS coined it from his knowledge of French? If not, then it would be interesting, indeed--if i had the time--to research the word in other dictionaries. and, if one were to find it, to inform the "priesthood" of the OED!

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 1 March, 2004 05:00PM
Kevin: Thank you for your response - while I am myself a classical
musician of many years experience, I am by no means closed to serious
experimentation with sound. As to the guitar, et al, I should have
enjoyed having for part my sound effects in a production I directed
last fall of Jesus Christ Superstar - it was a rip having the stage
director a priest with 20 years experience on Broadway competing with
Tommy Tune for roles years ago, the choreographer another former
Ballet dancer and choreographer in New York, and myself, having
performed and directed with the New York City Opera, San Francisco
Opera, Portland Opera and numerous other venues teaching a bunch
of younger folk how to do Rock and Roll!
Your note, however, is most timely. I just received a note from
Donald Sydney-Fryer suggesting developing a multi-person presentation
of some works of CAS with accompaniment appropriate to same. Write
me through my Email; I may have yours already, and will send you a
synopsis of his concept.
Yours,
Dr. f

Posted by: Boyd (IP Logged)
Date: 29 March, 2004 02:25PM
Did Lovecraft mention his opinion on Joyce anywhere? I checked Lovecraft's Library: A Catalogue and he did not seem to own any. I Only have one of his Selected Letters (2) and find no reference.

B.

Date: 30 March, 2004 09:10AM
There is a little information on this subject in Joshi's biography of Lovecraft. As I recall, most of the discussion of the Modernists, however, focuses on Eliot. I know that Joshi mentions that Lovecraft scorned the sexual aspects of Ulysses, but he defended Joyce on free speech grounds, I believe. My memory is quite hazy, though, and I haven't time to verify any of this, so perhaps others who have the Selected Letters handy can weigh in more authoritatively.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page