Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
A Question
Posted by: J Harper (IP Logged)
Date: 27 February, 2004 08:01PM
Hello all.

I've been meaning to start reading C.A.S. for a while now, and I now have the money to take the plunge. However, I'm not quite sure where I should start.

From what I see, right now I have two choices: Pick up the Arkham House re-release of A Rendezvous in Averoigne, or go with the Fantasy Masterwork Emperor of Dreams. Now Dreams is the less expensive of the two, but I doubt it'll be as nice looking or durable as the Arkham House. I also remember hearing that Emperor is considered the weaker of the two volumes. On the other hand, it may be a while before I can pick up a copy of Rendezvous, and also Emperor seems to have more stories and some essays by Smith.

Which volume would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy Harper

Re: A Question
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 27 February, 2004 09:49PM
You can find copies of the Ballantine and Timescape paperbacks on eBay or ABE fairly easily. If finances are a consideration (aren't they always?), this may well be the way to go. EMPEROR OF DREAMS does contain one essay and one poem by CAS, plus it reproduces one of his pencil grotesques on the title page (a nice touch indeed IMHO), but it is a very weak collection indeed. My suggestion is, if you have read some CAS already and want more, save your pazoors and buy A RENDEZVOUS IN AVEROIGNE. If you aren't sure, try to pick up the following o.p. paperbacks: CITY OF THE SINGING FLAME, ZOTHIQUE, and XICCARPH. The Wildside Press DOUBLE SHADOW should be regarded as a supplement to RENDEZVOUS, not as a substitute for it, since it contains six stories, five of which are not in RENDEZVOUS (and the one that is was severely pruned for pulp publication). Naturally I recommend SLCAS, but you should also get THE LAST OBLIVION: BEST FANTASTIC POETRY from Hippocampus.
Maybe Gavin Smith can make up a special "Introductory Package" for beginning casophiles. Gavman?
Best,
Scott

Posted by: gavinicuss (IP Logged)
Date: 29 February, 2004 04:04PM
Hi, J Harper. So, you need a copy of Rendezvous from Arkham - I can hook you up, but it sounds like you're short on the moola, the dough ray me, the geetus. Got anything cool to trade?

Posted by: J Harper (IP Logged)
Date: 1 March, 2004 02:40PM
Hey there,

Me, short of moola? Hardly. I actually have started working again and should hopefully be patronizing all of my favorite small presses again in the near future.

Going by Scott's advice, I'll probably start with RIA and work my way outwards. Double Shadow and Last Oblivion will be next up. How essential do you all think the new Night Shade volume is?

I have RIA on order from a local brick and mortar, and hopefully they'll have it soon. I'm starting to get a little bit impatient with 'em, though, so we'll just have to see.

Thanks all,

Jeremy Harper

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 5 March, 2004 06:08AM
" How essential do you all think the new Night Shade volume is?" Well, I'm prejudiced, mind you, but I would recommend selling your first born to acquire a copy! :)

"I have RIA on order from a local brick and mortar, and hopefully they'll have it soon. I'm starting to get a little bit impatient with 'em, though, so we'll just have to see." Big mistake, you should have stuck with Frater Gavinicuss. B&M order from wholesalers like Ingram and Baker and Taylor, who do not stock Arkham House titles because Arkham House does not allow returns. Therefore when they order an Arkham title, the distributors refers them to order directly from AH, which all adds up to time. When you order from a mail order dealer like Our Gavin, you get prompt service, plus you don't pay sales tax, which is a major perk for me from a philosophical perspective. What Gavin charges for postage is definitely below his costs. Seriously, stick with speciality dealers for genre items; even your independent B&M stores can't do as well.

Best,
Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page