Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
CAS Would Have Enjoyed This News Story On So Many Different Levels
Posted by: Absquatch (IP Logged)
Date: 8 February, 2012 02:42PM
It is about a (unfortunately failed) New Mexico bill that would have required mental health professionals to give court testimony while attired in wizard's garb. The story can be found here.

Re: CAS Would Have Enjoyed This News Story On So Many Different Levels
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 8 February, 2012 04:39PM
Absquatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is about a (unfortunately failed) New Mexico
> bill that would have required mental health
> professionals to give court testimony while
> attired in wizard's garb. The story can be found
> here.

I recall this event well, but you will not find it in legislative history because it actually happened in court.
In a case before district court, the defense wanted to bring in a (oxymoron) Behavioral Scientist to testify, who had not even met or spoken to the Defendant or the Victim -the judge agreed on the condition (and this I can quote directly as it was so much fun when it made the news in the 80's) that he be attired in a black robe and conical hat with stars and crescent moons on it - the judge clearly understood what a fraud this crap is (see Dr. Tana Dineen's excellent "Manufacturing Victims"). Did happen, just not with the politicians.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 8 February, 2012 04:43PM
Forgot to mention that you are quite right, Clark would have loved this - as is very clear in "Schizoid Creator".

Posted by: treycelement (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2012 06:20AM
Albsquatch wrote:

> CAS Would Have Enjoyed This News Story On So Many Different Levels
>
> It is about a (unfortunately failed) New Mexico
> bill that would have required mental health
> professionals to give court testimony while
> attired in wizard's garb. The story can be found
> here.

Oh, Alb'! I've done my best to give you a better example on titles, and you come up with a monstrosity like that! Demography is not destiny, mon brave: fight off your Canadian heritage and stop being so dull! You could have used "Cloak On This," "Dress to Profess" or (v. obscure) "Suited for Ease: A Wizard."

“The true independent is he who dwells detached and remote from the little herds as well as from the big herd. Affiliating with no group or cabal of mice or monkeys, he is of course universally suspect.” — The Black Book of Gore Vidal.

Posted by: Absquatch (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2012 01:56PM
Calonlan,

I couldn't find any reference to the 1980's case, but it would not surprise me if more than one judge or lawmaker proposed such a requirement over the years.

In any event, the proposal raises many interesting possibilities: Professors of literary theory being required to dress as circus clowns, allopathic physicians required to wear bones through their noses--all would be very useful signifiers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page