Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The Devotee of Ennui
Posted by: treycelement (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2012 05:22AM
The Anality of Evil: From Marx' Merde to Mass Murder

onan the vulgarian writes: ennui is an under-engaged element in terms of issues around evil, it seems to me. but can anyone doubt that the writer of the following would be prepared to do to human beings what he does to the english language? ennuology, or the scientific study of bores and boredom, doesn't appear to exist so far. as the son of the canadian ambassador to belgium (♂) and the belgian ambassador to canada (♀), i may be able to do something about that.....

Theorising race and anticommunism in the Cold War

Introduction: Theoretical Approach

This work, as befits a marxist research project, inhabits a tension between the nomothetic and idiographic. The epistemological commitments of historical materialism are not exhausted by its inventory of nomological concepts. Indeed, the historical determinacy of laws in Marx’s research project points to the need for concrete investigation to determine “the boundaries” of the articulation of “productive force and relation of production” at any given conjuncture. (Banaji, 2010, p. 47) When Marx turns his attention to concrete situations, for example in the Eighteenth Brumaire, his approach is far from the positivist attempt to validate laws already supposedly established by historical data. On the contrary, he sets out to discern the lineaments of class and political formations, the shifting valences of ideological cynosures, the class alliances and mutating allegiances: this highly conjunctural analysis pays off with the emergence of concepts such as ‘Bonapartism’, or the ‘praetorian state’. (On the text’s relevance for the analysis of political power and the state, see (Jessop, 2002)). As we will see, the practitioners of historical materialism – above all, Gramsci and Althusser, both in their different ways ‘Machiavellian’ marxists, and Poulantzas, whose research project articulated the former pair – have also developed a series of conceptual operations designed to capture the specificity of concrete situations. Gramsci insisted, against a certain ‘economist’ reductionism, on the analysis of the “conjuncture”, of “situations”, of the “socio-historical moment” which is never “homogenous”, but which is “rich with contradictions”. (Sassoon, 1981, pp. 180-193)
Althusser, the poetaster of ‘aleatory materialism’, likewise focused on conjunctural analysis, the multiple determinations and levels of determination in a given situation, the “accumulation of contradictions” within it, and ‘overdetermination’ - the condensation within each point of the structure of the effects of the whole situation. In keeping with this aleatory materialism is the distinction he made between the ‘mode of production’ (certain abstract combinations of forces and relations of production) and the ‘social formation’ (the concrete site on which these forces and relations of production are realised, a site of overdetermined complexity). In my research, it is the conjuncture, and within it the social formation, that is the object of analysis. (Althusser, 1999; Althusser, 2005; Lahtinen, 2009)
But the term ‘conjuncture’ can be used in a different way, to refer to precisely the tension described above: a conjunction of the general and the particular. This conjunction means that the general, referring to a set of constants which recur in different situations, varies in its precise content depending on its relation to the particulars of a situation. (Lahtinen, 2009, p. 9) A persistent topographical feature of marxist assay, then, is its descent from the abstract to the concrete[1], with each approach to the concrete characterised by the introduction of new theoretical determinations. Consistent with this, each section of this argument begins with the clarification of some general concepts, abstractions which address historical problems prompted by my research questions. As the discussion proceeds, however, the thesis descends from the abstract to the concrete, from structural to contingent, particular and sometimes subjective factors.
In section I, I begin with a discussion of anticommunist practices in general, before proceeding to a discussion of their operation during the Cold War, and their particular application in the Southern racial state. ‘Practices’ is used here in the sense intended by Althusser, viz.: “all the levels of social existence are the sites of distinct practices: economic practice, political practice, ideological practice, technical practice and scientific (or theoretical) practice. We think the content of these different practices by thinking their peculiar structure, which, in all these cases, is the structure of a production”. (Althusser & Balibar, 1997, p. 58) At the most general level, the structure of production has three stages: i) raw materials are brought into relation with one another; ii) a labour of transformation is performed using some means of production; and iii) an end-product results. The determinant moment in this process is the labour of transformation itself; it is this which decides the kind of practice involved. When investigating anticommunist practices, I will give due attention to the specific levels (economic, political, ideological) on which they take place - though I will treat these levels as distinct (and thus ‘relatively autonomous’) aspects of a unitary structure in difference, rather than as an articulation of different structures - as well as to production process they are involved in. The generic category ‘anticommunism’ is a convenience, but inhibitive if left undifferentiated.

“The true independent is he who dwells detached and remote from the little herds as well as from the big herd. Affiliating with no group or cabal of mice or monkeys, he is of course universally suspect.” — The Black Book of Gore Vidal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24 Feb 12 | 05:26AM by treycelement.

Re: The Devotee of Ennui
Posted by: Gill Avila (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2012 11:48PM
Who reads this stuff?

Posted by: wilum pugmire (IP Logged)
Date: 27 February, 2012 10:35AM
He sits within his citadel, and frolics with a feather pen that etches shadows spill'd from darkest skull-space; and sighs in French, in weariness, engag'd in nothing. Once shadow called to his imagination, and taught his pen to etch lines of poesy vibrated from his tainted lips, those lips that once tasted the kisses of strange phantoms; but phantoms have now departed, bored with his prosaic lunacy in which he mutters, again and again, his dull-witted woe. There, within his citadel, fortified and forgotten among the ashes of his sorcery, he frowns at the flat liquid that once was rich black ink but is now as leaden as his heart. The leather on which he etches is dry and cracked and boring. Thus this devotee of ennui glances at his free hand and its smooth mauve surface, and a spark of interest shakes his passivity, so that he brings his pen to prick that hand and scratch a once-loved sigil onto his flesh; and as the pen-point pricks deeper into his mauve flesh, dull black ink is fortified with liquid of a stronger hue, and with new dye he decorates his dry cracked scroll with living language, day after day, until the ink of his mortality leaks out completely.

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Date: 28 February, 2012 04:53AM
Gill Avila wrote:

> Who reads this stuff?

onan takes himself in hand:

to explain the purpose of the initial post... there's an interesting passage somewhere in j.k. rowling's work (possibly harry potter and the tart with a heart) in which someone points out that, in a universe containing only a hand, and nothing else, it would be impossible to say whether the hand were a left hand or a right hand. it's an interesting gedankenexperiment but one can go further: it would also be impossible to say, of such a universe, that the hand were a hand: entities exist, in part, by inter-relationship with other entities and by contrast with what-they-are-not. i think one arrives at a deeper understanding and appreciation of cas by examining what-is-not-cas, and supreme among the not-cas community stand (i would suggest, and cas's words seem to back me up) two figures: karlatan marx and sigmund fraud. karlatan m. and (to a lesser extent) s. fraud have had a DISASTROUS effect on the english language and the study of literature, art, and culture. i would therefore argue, on pathological and know-cas's-enemies grounds, it is important to know what their disciples are up to. like this disciple.

Introduction: Theoretical Approach

This work, as befits a marxist research project, inhabits a tension between the nomothetic and idiographic. The epistemological commitments of historical materialism are not exhausted by its inventory of nomological concepts. Indeed, the historical determinacy of laws in Marx’s research project points to the need for concrete investigation to determine “the boundaries” of the articulation of “productive force and relation of production” at any given conjuncture. (Banaji, 2010, p. 47) When Marx turns his attention to concrete situations, for example in the Eighteenth Brumaire, his approach is far from the positivist attempt to validate laws already supposedly established by historical data. On the contrary, he sets out to discern the lineaments of class and political formations, the shifting valences of ideological cynosures, the class alliances and mutating allegiances: this highly conjunctural analysis pays off with the emergence of concepts such as ‘Bonapartism’, or the ‘praetorian state’. (On the text’s relevance for the analysis of political power and the state, see (Jessop, 2002)). As we will see, the practitioners of historical materialism – above all, Gramsci and Althusser, both in their different ways ‘Machiavellian’ marxists, and Poulantzas, whose research project articulated the former pair – have also developed a series of conceptual operations designed to capture the specificity of concrete situations. Gramsci insisted, against a certain ‘economist’ reductionism, on the analysis of the “conjuncture”, of “situations”, of the “socio-historical moment” which is never “homogenous”, but which is “rich with contradictions”. (Sassoon, 1981, pp. 180-193)

“The true independent is he who dwells detached and remote from the little herds as well as from the big herd. Affiliating with no group or cabal of mice or monkeys, he is of course universally suspect.” — The Black Book of Gore Vidal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28 Feb 12 | 05:01AM by treycelement.

Date: 28 February, 2012 04:53AM
wilum pugmire wrote:

> He sits within his citadel, and frolics with a
> feather pen that etches shadows spill'd from
> darkest skull-space; and sighs in French, in
> weariness, engag'd in nothing. Once shadow called
> to his imagination, and taught his pen to etch
> lines of poesy vibrated from his tainted lips,
> those lips that once tasted the kisses of strange
> phantoms; but phantoms have now departed, bored
> with his prosaic lunacy in which he mutters, again
> and again, his dull-witted woe. There, within his
> citadel, fortified and forgotten among the ashes
> of his sorcery, he frowns at the flat liquid that
> once was rich black ink but is now as leaden as
> his heart. The leather on which he etches is dry
> and cracked and boring. Thus this devotee of
> ennui glances at his free hand and its smooth
> mauve surface, and a spark of interest shakes his
> passivity, so that he brings his pen to prick that
> hand and scratch a once-loved sigil onto his
> flesh; and as the pen-point pricks deeper into his
> mauve flesh, dull black ink is fortified with
> liquid of a stronger hue, and with new dye he
> decorates his dry cracked scroll with living
> language, day after day, until the ink of his
> mortality leaks out completely.

I like this.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 28 February, 2012 11:57AM
treycelement Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gill Avila wrote:
>
> > Who reads this stuff?
>
> onan takes himself in hand:
>
> to explain the purpose of the initial post...
> there's an interesting passage somewhere in j.k.
> rowling's work (possibly harry potter and the tart
> with a heart) in which someone points out that, in
> a universe containing only a hand, and nothing
> else, it would be impossible to say whether the
> hand were a left hand or a right hand. it's an
> interesting gedankenexperiment but one can go
> further: it would also be impossible to say, of
> such a universe, that the hand were a hand:
> entities exist, in part, by inter-relationship
> with other entities and by contrast with
> what-they-are-not. i think one arrives at a deeper
> understanding and appreciation of cas by examining
> what-is-not-cas, and supreme among the not-cas
> community stand (i would suggest, and cas's words
> seem to back me up) two figures: karlatan marx and
> sigmund fraud. karlatan m. and (to a lesser
> extent) s. fraud have had a DISASTROUS effect on
> the english language and the study of literature,
> art, and culture. i would therefore argue, on
> pathological and know-cas's-enemies grounds, it is
> important to know what their disciples are up to.
> like this disciple.
>
> Theorising race and anticommunism in the Cold War
>
> Introduction: Theoretical Approach
>
> This work, as befits a marxist research project,
> inhabits a tension between the nomothetic and
> idiographic. The epistemological commitments of
> historical materialism are not exhausted by its
> inventory of nomological concepts. Indeed, the
> historical determinacy of laws in Marx’s
> research project points to the need for concrete
> investigation to determine “the boundaries” of
> the articulation of “productive force and
> relation of production” at any given
> conjuncture. (Banaji, 2010, p. 47) When Marx turns
> his attention to concrete situations, for example
> in the Eighteenth Brumaire, his approach is far
> from the positivist attempt to validate laws
> already supposedly established by historical data.
> On the contrary, he sets out to discern the
> lineaments of class and political formations, the
> shifting valences of ideological cynosures, the
> class alliances and mutating allegiances: this
> highly conjunctural analysis pays off with the
> emergence of concepts such as ‘Bonapartism’,
> or the ‘praetorian state’. (On the text’s
> relevance for the analysis of political power and
> the state, see (Jessop, 2002)). As we will see,
> the practitioners of historical materialism –
> above all, Gramsci and Althusser, both in their
> different ways ‘Machiavellian’ marxists, and
> Poulantzas, whose research project articulated the
> former pair – have also developed a series of
> conceptual operations designed to capture the
> specificity of concrete situations. Gramsci
> insisted, against a certain ‘economist’
> reductionism, on the analysis of the
> “conjuncture”, of “situations”, of the
> “socio-historical moment” which is never
> “homogenous”, but which is “rich with
> contradictions”. (Sassoon, 1981, pp. 180-193)

Considering who Onan is historically, taking himself in "hand" is his primary claim to fame, is it not?

Posted by: Jojo Lapin X (IP Logged)
Date: 28 February, 2012 02:04PM
calonlan Wrote:
> Considering who Onan is historically, taking
> himself in "hand" is his primary claim to fame, is
> it not?

I hate to be a know-it-all, but actually, no, what he did is he "spilled his seed on the ground."

Date: 3 March, 2012 05:55PM
Jojo Lapin X Wrote:
> calonlan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Considering who Onan is historically, taking
> > himself in "hand" is his primary claim to fame,
> is
> > it not?
>
> I hate to be a know-it-all, but actually, no, what
> he did is he "spilled his seed on the ground."

Yes, but if you have experienced this phenomenon, known in fact in Onan's case as "coitus Interruptus" ( his sin was failing to provide offspring for his deceased brother) the hand is commonly a necessary component in satisfactorily completing the performance - getting to "the ground" as opposed to the last second emergency which would land on the person in nearest proximity - - these are merely the technical aspects of the mechanics of the operation - In Onan's case, the primary motivation was greed - that is, no wish to share the wealth with his brother's potential offspring - more detail than this would require a graphics chart -

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 4 March, 2012 03:29AM
Welcome back, Dr. Farmer! :)

Date: 5 March, 2012 02:45PM
Martinus Wrote:
> Welcome back, Dr. Farmer! :)

thanks - however will have brief interruptus in the near future as right knee joins the rest of my joints in their journey toward making me a completely bionic entity - I see myself in the future as "the brain in the jar" ruling my empire - don't know the date yet - hoping to avoid infection this time - left knee had to be done twice because of nosocomial infection - ah, well - we play the cards we are dealt - do go to www.southtexasliving.com for a little fun - I do a monthly article on words or related topics -

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 5 March, 2012 03:03PM
calonlan Wrote:

> I see myself in the
> future as "the brain in the jar" ruling my empire
> - don't know the date yet - hoping to avoid
> infection this time - left knee had to be done
> twice because of nosocomial infection - ah, well -

That infection thing seems a very sensitive matter, in spite of the careful sterile conditions in hospitals. My neighbours, an old couple, have both had their knees and hip joints replaced. She had infection in the knee first time around, and had a hellish struggle. But now both are up and running, all well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 5 Mar 12 | 03:05PM by Knygatin.

Date: 6 March, 2012 08:53AM
Knygatin Wrote:
> calonlan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > I see myself in the
> > future as "the brain in the jar" ruling my
> empire
> > - don't know the date yet - hoping to avoid
> > infection this time - left knee had to be done
> > twice because of nosocomial infection - ah, well
> -
>
>
> That infection thing seems a very sensitive
> matter, in spite of the careful sterile conditions
> in hospitals. My neighbours, an old couple, have
> both had their knees and hip joints replaced. She
> had infection in the knee first time around, and
> had a hellish struggle. But now both are up and
> running, all well.

It is fairly common, and truly misfortunate, and a great annoyance - due in part to the fact that the cleaning staff are given an impossible job - "use fresh water in the mop bucket in each room, tho roughly rinse the mop first in clean water - and, under these requirements, do 10 rooms in 35 minutes - sure - I challenged an administrator to come down and show them how that can be done - no takers - result, they use the same water room after room, since the time requirement outways the other in the minds(alleged) of the bean-counters, who, as a class, outnumber the cleaning staff - as usual as Sitting Bull explained his defeat - "too many chiefs, not enough Indians"

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 6 March, 2012 02:16PM
calonlan Wrote:
> the bean-counters,
> who, as a class, outnumber the cleaning staff - as
> usual as Sitting Bull explained his defeat - "too
> many chiefs, not enough Indians"

Alas, the hierachy of bureaucrats exchanging report papers and chatty opinions with each other, eating up most of the hospital's budget.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page