Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Would CAS Have Met His Match, Vocabulary Wise?
Posted by: K_A_Opperman (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2012 05:05PM
Well thank you kindly, Radovarl :) I've always had a liking for vocabulary, and as an avid weird poet in the formalist tradition, I find it quite necessary to possess a large vocabulary :) I am in the habit of writing down every word I don't know that comes up in my reading--and when I first started reading CAS.... I was stopping to write one down every 3 seconds or so! ;) Ideally, I'm supposed to look them all up later--but usually I just look up the 'coolest' ones that stick in my head :) However, one can have marathon vocab sessions where one takes such a list of words, and looks up dozens of them using our handy online dictionaries--super-fast learning! That's what the internet is for, isn't it...?

Posted by: Absquatch (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2012 06:46PM
Radovarl:

Based on the times and the general context of when he wrote, I suspect that CAS is referring to literary style, and not to the style of academics or philosophers. I think that the targets are those who believe that someone such as WIlliam Carlos Williams is even a poet, let alone a great one. I doubt that CAS was anticipating the likes of Heidegger, Lacan, or Derrida--all infinitely worse than any 19th-Century German metaphysician, I would add (and Schelling writes quite well, actually, as does Schopenhauer).

K_A_ Opperman:

Just to be clear, my reference to Mensa relates strictly to likely IQ equivalency; I certainly wasn't suggesting that you try to join!

Posted by: K_A_Opperman (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2012 07:37PM
Absquatch,

I ain't joinin' nothin', don't care to, would very probably fail even if I tried--which I wouldn't ;)

Date: 18 May, 2012 05:08PM
One consideration, though. I've heard that Mensa is actually a great hook-up place. That's a factor that no self-respecting poet who seeks to follow in CAS's footsteps should entirely overlook. ;-)

Posted by: Radovarl (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2012 01:39PM
Absquatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One consideration, though. I've heard that Mensa
> is actually a great hook-up place. That's a factor
> that no self-respecting poet who seeks to follow
> in CAS's footsteps should entirely overlook. ;-)

Sounds like a hoot and a holler. Genius speed dating.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2012 01:06PM
K_A_Opperman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, I know that was no 'genius' test--but at any
> rate, I'm quite sure I'm not one! :) I have no
> idea what my IQ is, nor do I care--it's only
> something to brag about, or be embarassed about,
> in my opinion.
>
> I'm 24 :) Well, thank you--I'm flattered ;) I
> would never join any such organization--again,
> merely something to fuel elitist snobbery.... ;)

oh for heaven's sake Kyle - join everything that will let you in - not because you espouse their ideas, or crave the plaudits of the uninformed, but because it's a great chance to cruise some vulnerable members of that other gender, and get lots of free meals and drinks - it is also often amusing to scratch the itch of folk who are often humorless and obsessed with some inconsequential cause or subject about which they are commonly profoundly ignorant. Of course, if the group is made up of large, aggressive, neo-primates, it's probably best to avoid them.

Date: 1 June, 2012 12:25PM
Quote:
Of course, if the group is made up of large, aggressive, neo-primates, it's probably best to avoid them.

Indeed, which is why I heartily recommending avoiding all organized groups of Satanists: Church of Satan, Temple of Set, ONA, and the like. Unlike, say, Mensa, these are an utter waste of time for single, heterosexual men.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 1 Jun 12 | 12:27PM by Absquatch.

Goto Page: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page