Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Just signed up , for a reason...
Posted by: mjsweitzer (IP Logged)
Date: 30 April, 2012 07:51PM
This has been bugging me for some time . Having started off in my teens with getting all excited by Lovecraft , it didn't take long to find my way to Clark Ashton Smith ( and Williuam Hope Hodgson ) . This would be about forty years ago . I'd like to re-read CAS , to see how much I'd remember , and if my level of appreciation has changed ( matured perhaps ) . There's one particular story I'd like to start with though , and I can't remember it's title . I'm pretty sure it's CAS , but I may be wrong . If not him , then someone else that worked in the same genre . I'm hoping that someone that frequents this forum will recognize the story from the brief description that follows : The protagonist is kind of tired of , disgusted or disappointed with the world he lives in . At night , he does a kind of wish upon a star / beam me up Scotty , there's no intelligent life down here type of thing night after night , until one day/night his wish comes true . he ends up on a planet orbiting the star upon which he focused his attention , his yearning having been picked up by the residents thereupon . It doesn't take long for the novelty to wear off , and he finds the residents of this planet repugnant , but he's doomed to spend the rest of his life in this alien environment . A case of be careful what you wish for , it might come true .
I look forward to reading your responses .

R.McDilleaux

Re: Just signed up , for a reason...
Posted by: Shimrod (IP Logged)
Date: 30 April, 2012 11:59PM
I could be wrong, but that sounds a lot like "The Monster of the Prophecy."

Posted by: mjsweitzer (IP Logged)
Date: 1 May, 2012 02:12AM
Thanx Shimrod , I've just had a quick look at "The Monster of The Prophecy" and it does seem to be the story that I was thinking of . Quite a few details that I had forgotten , but recognised as having read before as I skimmed over it . Had to tear myself away to head off to dreaded work though , so that I can read it at a more leisurely pace later . Ha ! The protagonist himself is " The Monster of the Prophecy " , human form being as bizarre to the residents of the other planet as theirs is to our kind . Thanx again .

R.McDilleaux

Posted by: Shimrod (IP Logged)
Date: 1 May, 2012 03:27PM
I'm glad I was able to help, R. McDilleaux. Have fun with your re-reading. I mean to do the same when time allows.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page