Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
NecronomiCon 2013--Ye Stars Are Right Again!
Posted by: wilum pugmire (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2012 09:34PM
So most of ye probably know that some lovely folk are planning on reviving the NecronomiCon. This event used to take place every other year in Providence, but chaos ensued and destroy'd ye event for nameless aeons. Nigh ye stars are right again, and this event will almost certainly take place. S. T. Joshi and Providence author Caitlin R. Kiernan have already committed to attending and participating. I am so excited about this gathering that I have decided to write a new book, Bohemian of Sesqua Valley, to debut at ye convention. Larry Roberts of Arcane Wisdom Press has agreed to publish my wee collection. I am almoft breathless with anticipation! This will be an extremely serious LITERARY convention that will have as its focus Lovecraft's Works and Philosophy. Be there or be non-Euclidean!

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Re: NecronomiCon 2013--Ye Stars Are Right Again!
Posted by: walrus (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2012 03:58AM
This is great news. I guess I know where I'll be in August 2013.

Date: 24 May, 2012 10:19AM
walrus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is great news. I guess I know where I'll be
> in August 2013.

I look forward to seeing you there. I am hoping that this will attract even more Lovecraft/weird fiction scholars than MythosCon did. It's curious. I've been writing Lovecaftian weird fiction for four decades, and thus one wou'd think that I'd feel kinship with other Mythos writers. But those to whom I feel moft intimate as a Lovecraftian artist are the scholars. The one writer of fiction with whom I feel close at home is Peter Cannon, who is also a brilliant Lovecraft scholar. Perhaps I feel this way because the scholars are the folk who seem to share my intimate obsession with E'ch-Pi-El. They explore his fiction continuously, as do I, utterly captivated; but whereas I use his fiction as inspiration for my own, they use it to shine a light on HPL's genius as an artist. I've just finished a new prose-poem sequence, and much of it has been inspir'd by my reading of Robert H. Waugh's new book from Hippocampus Press, A Monster of Voices--Speaking for H. P. Lovecraft -- a book that has so transfixed, delighted & inspir'd me that I have dedicated this new work to Mr. Waugh. I feel more warm kinship with Kenneth W. Faig and Scott Connors than I do with any other writer of fiction. S. T. Joshi is my intimate chum -- & how delightful that this amazing scholar is now writing his own weird fiction. Thus, the real energy that has me bubbling over in ecstasy about NecronomiCon Providence is knowing that I will dwell among the titans of Lovecraft scholarship, in a congregation of souls there in Lovecraft's beloved city. It is going to be the high point of my life in every way.

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Posted by: Dexterward (IP Logged)
Date: 27 May, 2012 03:30AM
This is great news. However, I already made vacation plans to go to Providence THIS year. Actually, I created another thread on this site, "Visiting Lovecraft's Hometown", which I can't find at the moment. And while I don't want to waste your time, I was wondering if anyone had a good hotel recommendation (addresses would be great, but even if you could just throw out a name or two that would help) for seeing the major Lovecraft landmarks? I'm horrible at planning things, and I'm pretty much thinking that I will just get the list of stuff to see off of the "Lovecraft Historical Society" site, get the hotel, and wing it from there. I'm thinking of staying for five days or so, and pretty much just walking around and so forth, as my mood dictates...

Of course, there's always "Hotels.com", but I was hoping that perhaps in "insider" could give me a better recommendation than I might happen to stumble upon by chance.

Oh, and can you just "GPS" HPL's different Addresses? That's kind of a funny notion! (But I might need the zipcode for that to work, I'm not sure....)

Like I said, I don't want to hijack a CAS website for my own selfish purposes! But if there is a good hotel (cheap but nice, etc.) that you would recommend, I would be infinitely grateful. (And hopefully this will serve anyone else who may likewise want to go and see HPL's hometown in person.) That, and any quick insights regarding "what I should look for", etc. (i.e, anything not on the HPL Historical Society website.)

Of course, the thing next year looks too good to pass up. (Even for an unsocial recluse like myself!) However, I'm kind of set on just getting the hell out of my dull routine and doing it this year. Perhaps in the next month or two.

Any thoughts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27 May 12 | 03:32AM by Dexterward.

Date: 29 May, 2012 03:49PM
I was always guided by others while in Providence, so I have no clue about hotels, &c. But I think once we get closer to the convention those holding it will have such information on their website.

I've written a new weird tale, "Underneath an Arkham Moon," with Jessica Amanda Salmonson, and S. T. Joshi has just accepted it for BLACK WINGS III, which will be publish'd next year by P. S. Publishing, as trade and deluxe hardcover. I'm hoping the book will be out in time for NecronomiCon Providence 2013. It was awesome working on a new tale with Jessica, it's been ages since we've collaborated. I now have an outline for our next collaboration, a CAS-inspir'd story, ye working title of which is "An Occupant of Ruin." Jessica is a keen admirer of CAS and had a story in John Pelan's anthology of Smith-inspired tales. I know that, with her working with me, we will concoct a thrilling tribute to CAS!

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Posted by: walrus (IP Logged)
Date: 5 June, 2012 12:26PM
wilum pugmire Wrote:
> I was always guided by others while in Providence, so I have no clue about hotels, &c. But I think
> once we get closer to the convention those holding > it will have such information on their website.

Too bad you won't be able to do any touring there. But then again, since you have already seen the place, one hopes that the loss won't be unbearable.

I'll have to see if I can arrange enough time there to also do maybe some exploration of places like Salem and Marblehead (assuming that the latter is worth visiting in this day and age), and some time in the JHL.

Date: 6 June, 2012 06:32AM
walrus Wrote:
> wilum pugmire Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I was always guided by others while in
> Providence, so I have no clue about hotels, &c.
> But I think
> > once we get closer to the convention those
> holding > it will have such information on their
> website.
>
> Too bad you won't be able to do any touring there.
> But then again, since you have already seen the
> place, one hopes that the loss won't be
> unbearable.
>
> I'll have to see if I can arrange enough time
> there to also do maybe some exploration of places
> like Salem and Marblehead (assuming that the
> latter is worth visiting in this day and age), and
> some time in the JHL.

We were there in October of 2007. We stopped at Marblehead on our way to Salem, and it still has its charm, the winding lanes and old old houses. The old cemetery that is mentioned in "The Festival" is a wonderful spot. Salem was a nightmare, because in October it becomes a kind of All Hallow's New Orleans, with gobs of uncouth tourists, amusement rides, fake week-end witches, &c &c. We did tour the House of the Seven Gables, and that was fantastic; but otherwise, I hated being in Salem in October. To visit it in late August or early September will be a completely different experience.

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Posted by: Gill Avila (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2012 04:00PM
From Boing Boing:
www.kickstarter.com/projects/tphinney/cristoforo-victorian-cthulhu-fonts-revived-again?play=1&ref=users

Hrii Cthulhu, Goka Font Ph'nglui!
By Glenn Fleishman at 12:50 am Monday, Jun 11 • 5 Comments • Share

Do you love nameless, creeping horrors in the deep? Unnaturally! Do you love fonts? Of course, you do. Thomas Phinney, a veteran type designer, is attempting an unholy union of the two by resurrecting the moldering corpse of three typefaces: Columbus, Columbus Initials, and American Italic. Columbus was used for all the Call of Cthulhu role-playing game, in which Phinney played a hand (severed?), designing clues for "Masks of Nyarlathotep."

Back the project on Kickstarter for Phinney to create Cristoforo, modern renditions of these three fonts. Pledges at all but the lowest level come with licenses to use the fonts. Phinney's original work is terrific, and I have no doubt that he'll bring a sensitive hand to re-creating these classic faces.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page