Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: If you were to compile a CAS "best of" anthology, which five or ten stories would you include in it?
Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 15 November, 2019 10:33AM
Martinus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Knygatin Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > calonlan Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > ... the Black Abbott of Puthuum,as originally
> > > published, not the expanded re-published
> edition
> > -
> >
> >
> > What expanded edition was Calonlan referring to
> > here? The Necronomicon Press version? If so,
> then
> > I must have missed it being largely different
> from
> > earlier prints.
>
> He may have been referring to this very limited
> publication:
> [jito.home.xs4all.nl]
> ion/the-black-abbot-of-puthuum.htm

Thank you, Martinus.

Quote from [Fine Press Chapbooks]:
"This chapbook [printed 2007] presents, for the first time, Smith′s story from the unaltered original manuscript (1935). Included is a reproduction of the long thought lost illustration of Virgil Finlay (from the story′s first published version in the famed magazine Weird Tales)—here, for the first time in its original coloration."

Quote from WorldCat ([isfdb.org]): "Complete version, from a manuscript found in the collection of Robert H. Barlow, of a story originally published in an abridged version in the May 1936 issue of Weird tales."

Interesting. I didn't know of this version. Surely it is the same that was later published in The Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith, in which the restored parts are described as "unsuccessful attempts at romantic comedy".

Re: If you were to compile a CAS "best of" anthology, which five or ten stories would you include in it?
Posted by: Minicthulhu (IP Logged)
Date: 15 November, 2019 01:38PM
My best "7" from what I have read by C. A. Smith so far is:

The Primal City
Genius Loci
Murder In The Fourth Dimension
The Double Cosmos
The Second Interment
The Uncharted Island
The Supernumerary Corpse

Posted by: Yluos (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 11:51AM
I think this topic still has use for other people who have yet to read CAS, even if it's somewhat of a "What are your favorite stories he wrote" thread.

Rather than make a list, I'd like to consider what five or ten of his best stories best display Smith's talent across multiple styles and fields, so as to vary the reading experience and perhaps entice people to read more of his work without the impression that he only writes horror, science-fiction, fantasy, satire, etc., unless it's specifically a "Best horror/sci-fi/fantasy/satire of Smith" collection.

An absolute must is Genius Loci, with its mundane setting expanded so viscerally and insidiously into its own weird world. Easily his finest horror story. Another must is Ubbo-Sathla, which is not only significant as a "Cthulhu Mythos" story but also as an example of how he uniquely marries the genii of fantasy and science-fiction through such seamless prose and ideas. A Zothique story or two are definitely necessary, as without a doubt they represent some of Smith's best fantasy. In the field of "scientifiction", as Smith occasionally called it, I'd probably aim for his satirical Monster of the Prophecy, or maybe A Star-Change or Double Cosmos. And for a mix of fantasy, grotesque humor, and steamy horrible sex, I think The Mother of Toads is an absolute, all-capitalized MUST.

I'd also love to include his poetry in verse and prose, as I think that really rounds out the CAS experience (plus maybe a cover based on one of his paintings or drawings), but I suppose that's not what this thread is for. :)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 19 Nov 19 | 12:08PM by Yluos.

Posted by: Platypus (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 12:30PM
I think I just solved your mystery. The original printing, in Weird Tales, May, 1930, says "in November, 1789". Looks like someone transposed the last 2 digits by accident.

Posted by: D.M. Ritzlin (IP Logged)
Date: 27 November, 2019 09:10AM
jimrockhill2001 Wrote:

> ...and what of the original
> versions of "The Beast of Averoigne" and
> "Necromancy of Naat" (both with the manuscript
> text but the NEW endings, one of those
> peculiarities which makes a choice of definitive
> text so difficult in some cases).

I wasn't aware there was an alternate version of "Necromancy in Naat." How different is it from the common one? I assume that version was published in the Night Shade collections, but was it printed anywhere else?

Posted by: kojootti (IP Logged)
Date: 1 December, 2019 12:49AM
D.M. Ritzlin Wrote:
> jimrockhill2001 Wrote:
> -----
>
> > ...and what of the original
> > versions of "The Beast of Averoigne" and
> > "Necromancy of Naat" (both with the manuscript
> > text but the NEW endings, one of those
> > peculiarities which makes a choice of
> definitive
> > text so difficult in some cases).
>
>
> I wasn't aware there was an alternate version of
> "Necromancy in Naat." How different is it from the
> common one? I assume that version was published in
> the Night Shade collections, but was it printed
> anywhere else?

I have two books containing "Necromancy in Naat"; LOST WORLDS and the Night Shade collection. In the appendix of the latter, it states that their version is Smith's original manuscript with only a few changes he made for publication, and this version is a LOT richer in detail, with several paragraphs existing just to describe the world, atmosphere, and emotions. I assume the version in LOST WORLDS is the edited Weird Tales print, because many of these paragraphs are either shortened or missing. No mention is made of Yadar's adventures before he ended up on Naat (a good several paragraphs of travel and heroics), which I think is a shame, because even if it may seem "pointless" to the plot I think it nicely expresses the immense span of time and distance from his home, not to mention his fierce dedication. And many long and poetic sentiments are gutted down to nearly their most basic form of expression. Unfortunately, it seems the version on this website is the Weird Tales print.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 1 Dec 19 | 01:14AM by kojootti.

Posted by: Kipling (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2020 04:13PM
1.The Double Shadow, The Vaults of Yoh-Vombis, The Dark Eidolon, Xeethra, Necromancy in Naat, The Planet of the Dead, The City of the Singing Flame, The Disinterment of Venus, A Rendezvous in Averoigne, The Letter From Mohaun Los

Goto Page: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page