Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Longest-term storage
Posted by: Gill Avila (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2012 06:10PM
I'll bet the Great Race in "The Shadow out of Time" would have found this a lot more convenient that giant metal-leaved books:

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Re: Longest-term storage
Posted by: The English Assassin (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2012 03:59AM
Finally we may all have PCs that look a little something like the control panel in Superman's house - well done, science! About bloody time tho...

Posted by: Jojo Lapin X (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2012 04:22AM
The problem (and it is a severe one; we are essentially leaving no record of our current culture for future generations to study) of digital impermanence is not primarily due to physical degradation of media, but rather to changing formats. I have old files on eight-inch diskettes that I am sure have survived just fine, but where would I find a machine that could read them?

Posted by: The English Assassin (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2012 05:16AM
Aye, data-rot is a big problem for future archaeologists, but with the exponential increase in the sheer amount of information I can't help but think that we can afford to lose at least some of it. Indeed, with so much of contemporary culture being banal and worthless maybe a mysterious gap in the archaeological record might not be such a bad thing... they might even mistakenly think we might have been profound or interesting in some way.

Posted by: Dexterward (IP Logged)
Date: 30 September, 2012 12:51AM
Yes, but perhaps some 29th century Gibbon will wish to study the point at which human civilization fell into irremediable decline. (And no doubt his copious footnotes will make frequent reference to Lady Gaga, Facebook, American Idol, and Reality TV!)

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 30 September, 2012 09:30PM
Jojo Lapin X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The problem (and it is a severe one; we are
> essentially leaving no record of our current
> culture for future generations to study) of
> digital impermanence is not primarily due to
> physical degradation of media, but rather to
> changing formats. I have old files on eight-inch
> diskettes that I am sure have survived just fine,
> but where would I find a machine that could read
> them?

Ebay

Posted by: Jojo Lapin X (IP Logged)
Date: 1 October, 2012 01:00PM
Thanks, but my question was rhetorical.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 1 October, 2012 03:56PM
The English Assassin Wrote:
> . . . I can't help
> but think that we can afford to lose at least some
> of it. Indeed, with so much of contemporary
> culture being banal and worthless . . .

The decadence of our time is unprecendented. Mankind is an offense and insult to the Earth and to the rest of life on this planet. Egocentric gluttonous materialism has completely wiped out all traces of spirituality. People stuff their mouths with carrion hamburgers, and McDonald's and other multinational businesses cut down the rainforests for their cattle and fast profit plantations, causing the extinguish of several animal species a day. The mass of ordinary people don't even care, they lack ability to think and draw conclusions. They only look down in their wallet, and if they have something good on their plate, and don't react until the evidence tramples them in the face.

The dinosaurs were exstinguished when they had become too dominant. Mankind is way overdue.
In relation to the Mayan calendar prophecy for December 21 2012, the astrological chart for that date is charged with very intense energy. Transformative energy which could manifest on the inner plane only, or on the outer material plane, or on both. It may indicate a natural catastrophe. My guess from the charts I have looked at, is that the coasts around the Atlantic Ocean will be hit by major floods, likely from a Tsunami. Not necessarily on December 21, because the energy pattern seen in the chart has a gradual build-up, and a release of tension may happen somewhere within a few months around that date.

"The real objection to the Darwinian theory is that man has not yet evolved from the ape."
-CAS

It would have been a blessing though, if we were as harmless and non-poisonous as the ape.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 1 Oct 12 | 04:11PM by Knygatin.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 10 October, 2012 06:03PM
Jojo Lapin X Wrote:
> Thanks, but my question was rhetorical.

my answer was serious - for example - I have a large number of beta videos - I therefore bought a beta machine cheaply - on top of which they are still superior to most CD's - and all movies you watch in HDTV are BETA -
I first became aware of this when I watched the same film in both formats - and what was just a stream in one, was a stream you could count the pebbles in the bottom in the other. I have some of those old floppies and would not hesitate to temporarily hook up a machine that would play it - maybe you could just add a drive - don't know much about such stuff - besides all that matters to me today is my birthday coming up and the Metropolitan Opera season on Saturday which I can watch on IMAX right here in my town for $20 - now that's technology that I can appreciate.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page