Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Book Signing in San Francisco Area March 20-22
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 17 March, 2004 02:39AM
S. T. Joshi has generously allowed me to "piggyback" on to his tour promoting the new Penguin Books edition of Lord Dunsany, so I will be signing copies of SELECTED LETTERS OF CLARK ASHTON SMITH at the following times and locations:

March 20 2pm San Francisco CA
Borderlands Books
866 Valencia Street

March 21 2pm Berkeley CA
Dark Carnival (Ron Hilger will be there also.)
3086 Claremont Avenue

March 22 5pm Berkeley CA
Change of Hobbit
2020 Shattuck Avenue

Bring along your copies of RED WORLD OF POLARIS and I'll sign them also!

Incidentally, according to supplement 12 of Jack Chalker's Index to the Science Fantasy Publishers, "only half the first printing were bound and these sold out on publication; additional copies to complete the first edition were ordered and received in late January, 2004." I can't get verification of that from AH, but it sounds about right. CAS' star is definitely on the ascendent!
Best,
Scott

Re: Book Signing in San Francisco Area March 20-22
Posted by: Roger (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2004 09:36AM
Scott, do you think Penguin would ever do a CAS volume?

Date: 10 April, 2004 05:27PM
"Ever" covers a long time! Unfortunately, the current editorship at Penguin does not consider Smith to be a suitable candidate for inclusion in the 20th Century Classics series at this time. However, we are working on correcting this misperception. Scott

Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 2 June, 2004 02:39AM
IMO opinion, it's probably going to be a more fruitful venture to see a volume of his poems through publication with Penguin than otherwise. At least the Dunsany volume has come through, but now for a Machen one....

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 2 June, 2004 10:30AM
voleboy wrote:

Quote:
At least the [Penguin] Dunsany volume has come through, but now for a Machen one....

I agree with you regarding CAS's poetry and Penguin, and, to be candid, I would rather see that than a volume of his tales. As for a Penguin 20th Century Classics Machen collection, I doubt that we'll see one--at least, not under Joshi's editorship, since Chaosium is publishing his efforts in this vein, I believe.

Date: 2 June, 2004 06:47PM
Kyberean Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> voleboy wrote:
>
Quote:At least the Dunsany volume has come
> through, but now for a Machen one....
>
> I agree with you regarding CAS's poetry and
> Penguin, and, to be candid, I would rather see
> that than a volume of his tales. As for a Penguin
> 20th Century Classics Machen collection, I doubt
> that we'll see one--at least, not under Joshi's
> editorship, since Chaosium is publishing his
> efforts in this vein, I believe.

Au contraire. S. T. is valiantly attempting to convince Penguin to publish annotated editions of Machen's stories, or at least of THE HILL OF DREAMS. He doesn't consider this to be competition to his Chaosium editions because they are not annotated.

Best,
Scott

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 2 June, 2004 06:56PM
[quote]He doesn't consider this to be competition to his Chaosium editions because they are not annotated.[/i]

I wondered about that. I thought that Chaosium might consider them to be competition, but I suppose that, from a legal perspective, that doesn't matter? At any rate, Machen's tales don't seem to me to scream out for annotation, the way that Poe's or Lovecraft's do, but a new edition of The Hill of Dreams would be intriguing, and most welcome.

Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 8 June, 2004 04:44PM
I'd be happy to see any Machen come out, even if it's only because my bibliography will swell out by an entry or two more.

I'm just hanging out to get my hands on a copy of the SELECTED LETTERS, so I can check what Machen references are there, in part.

Phillip

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page