Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Bancroft Library
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 24 March, 2004 02:16AM
Joshi and I visited the Bancroft Monday, and I was delighted with our reception. In sharp contrast to the way we've been treated at other libraries in the past--"Oh, they're not doing anything important, just playing around with some fantasy writers"--they rolled out the red carpet for us. Not only did the deputy director come down and welcome us, but we were treated to lunch at the University Club.
Dr. Farmer will be pleased to know that some of his papers are currently on display.
I spent most of the time going through CAS' letters to Samuel Loveman, which are incredibly important, but also discovered that the Bancroft recently purchased the papers of publisher A. M. Robertson, of THE STAR-TREADER fame. There were some interesting letters therein, but most important there were a bunch of review of TST that came as a total surprise: not only reviews in west coast media like THE WASP, but also in the NY WORLD and the BROOKLYN EAGLE!
The Bancroft is currently in-processing a number of photos that came with the Loveman letters, as well as a collection of mss and letters bought from Lloyd Currey. No new letters in the bunch, just three to Lester Anderson, but two of them were ones which had a last line cut off by the copier.
Best, Scott

Re: Bancroft Library
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 26 March, 2004 09:35AM
Scott - I would like to have been there to see the documents on
display - what an amazing turn of events after all these years!
I was in Grad school in Berkeley in the early 60's and the reception
you received is indeed a new page in their book. Call soon.
Dr. F

Re: Bancroft Library
Posted by: deuce (IP Logged)
Date: 13 March, 2016 05:55PM
I just saw this. Great news (to me)!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page