Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567AllNext
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: CAS in Penguin Modern CLassics
Posted by: The English Assassin (IP Logged)
Date: 22 June, 2013 08:56AM
I concur, ditch 'Genius Loci' - it's good, indeed I really like it, but its not great and it's hardly a rarity. It's gotta go.

Posted by: Jojo Lapin X (IP Logged)
Date: 22 June, 2013 09:27AM
Modesty prohibits me from pointing out that I demanded the removal of "Genius Loci" already on page 1! I hate modesty.

Date: 23 June, 2013 07:26AM
Yes, modesty be damned!

Don't get me wrong, I do like Genius Loci, but more for the idea than the tale.

Posted by: wilum pugmire (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2013 03:54AM
I've started some few discussions of the Penguin Modern Classics edition of Clark Ashton Smith at Amazon, in an effort to support the book and its editor and "get the word out" about the book at a site where it will be available for order. Amazon is a weird place, and I don't know if posting such discussions there has any real effect; but I like to think they might help direct someone to the book, and invite anyone who is interested to contribute to the conversation there. Thank ye.

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Posted by: phillipAellis (IP Logged)
Date: 27 June, 2013 12:39AM
I have been having a quiet word here and a quiet word there, among certain poetic colleagues. Hopefully they shall be receptive in time.

Date: 20 July, 2013 12:37PM
The book is now available for pre-order at Amazon, in paperback and Kindle format. Release date is 25 March, 2014.

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 8 October, 2013 03:02PM
Amazon now has cover art for it.

Date: 8 October, 2013 05:58PM
Oh wow! That's a great cover! Well, done to ST and Scott!

Posted by: Athlérissa (IP Logged)
Date: 29 November, 2013 10:26AM
Pre-ordered. Looking forward to March 2014. Especially looking forward to reading the annotations.

Date: 30 December, 2013 10:51PM
The English Assassin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh wow! That's a great cover! Well, done to ST and
> Scott!

The cover art is really excellent, I agree. Some clueless critics have condemn'd Smith's art--indeed, one ignorant troll at Amazon has condemned this cover for the Penguin edition as "poor and childish," too stupid to comprehend that Smith's paintings are in a classic folk-art tradition. I grow more and more excited about this Penguin Modern Classics edition. I am tempted to ask S. T. to let me read his Introduction now, but I have only three months to wait before I can read it in the actual book. I have a growing desire to writer an entire collection of tales in ye Klarkash-Ton tradition--and perhaps a lengthy poem inspir'd by "The Hashish-Eater." I have try'd to write in the CAS tradition but find it extremely difficult, he was so imaginatively original, unique. I have a publisher interested in bringing out a new book shou'd I write one. The keen ache to write such a book is founded in ye exquisite joy I feel in regard to this forthcoming Penguin edition--I want to write my book in celebration of S. T.'s edition. The ache to write such a book will not go away, much as I tell myself that I am incapable of producing such a work.

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 31 December, 2013 09:23PM
Here are rough examples of two other proposed covers. The pictures give a general idea, even though proportions are not correct.

Cover 1
[s6.postimg.org]

Cover 2
[s6.postimg.org]

Date: 31 December, 2013 09:48PM
Improved image of Cover 2:

[s6.postimg.org]

The original CAS artwork was photographed from an angle. A better picture would be needed to fit it correctly onto the cover.

Date: 1 January, 2014 04:40PM
CAS's "Jungle of the Indies", with entities haunting the forest floor. CAS's sculptures superimposed onto his painting. It can of course be composed in any number of ways.

[s6.postimg.org]

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 13 March, 2014 01:38PM
I got my copy from S. T. today! :-D

Date: 18 March, 2014 11:12AM
I have ye book on pre-order at Amazon--but knowing that S. T. already had copies instill'd within me an overwhelming LUST for ye book. I did not want to wait. I rang S. T. and ask'd if I cou'd dash over & pick up a copy. I drove like a lunatic thing. To hold that Penguin Classics edition of CLARK ASHTON SMITH in me claws was overwhelming. We had wanted it to happen so intensely, but it took much work by S. T. to persuade Penguin to publish it. The book is like a celebration of its author. Its wonderful cover is a beautiful painting by Smith himself, shewing his masterful working with color, tints, and design. I read ye Introduction last night, and it is excellent. The Notes at ye back of the book seem, somehow, slim, compared to those found in Joshi's superb Penguin editions of H. P. Lovecraft. I'm keeping this gift copy of ye book at my bedside, where I also keep, on a wee bedside stand, my Penguin editions of E'ch-Pi-El and Poe. My second copy will be kept here at my writing desk. I am hoping that ye book is a wild success and that Penguin will thus be inspir'd to bring forth a second volume.

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Goto Page: Previous1234567AllNext
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page