Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: CAS in Penguin Modern CLassics
Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 16 January, 2013 08:42AM
Setting a mood, can be done with a few lines of verse, placed at the beginning of a story, as both Lovecraft and CAS did for some of their stories.

I too had to re-read "Sadastor", and it's worse than I remembered. Oh my God, it's awfully written! It doesn't even breath. It will choke the book. Clark himself said, '"Sadastor" will be utterly unsalable.' I agree with Clark.

I think it's dangerous when editors of a book intended to be a bestseller, who are at the same time fans, design the book after their own exclusive connoiseur tastes, having an ambition to set the artistic bar, the prestige, and rank of weird fiction, as high as possible. It would make better business sense, to welcome and have the less intelligent ordinary readers in mind. That way many more will be reached. The high quality of the author will still be revealed inside the book.

Posted by: The English Assassin (IP Logged)
Date: 16 January, 2013 09:54AM
I'd like very much to see the prose and the poems mixed together rather than one being sectioned off from the other. I have a feeling that all that will happen if the poetry is left at the back is that most readers will say to themselves, 'I must read that sometime' and never think of it again... The only problem I can see with this approach is CAS' longer verse might be hard to squeeze in...

Date: 16 January, 2013 11:02AM
Agreed, English Assassin. In my Penguin collection of Poe, all the poems are in the front. I liked that. It made me read them all before going to the prose.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 16 January, 2013 11:22AM
Delighted to see this project coming to fruition - I am glad to see Genius Loci included, I have found it to be one that requires re-reading often over the years to see if the sensation it evokes is still there - and it is -
I would like to see "Schizoid Creator" included - Clark's ability to spoof within his genre is often overlooked - and of course, it was written when Dr. Freud and his associated witch doctors had only recently appeared on the scene, and Clark saw the whole business for the pretentious fraud it was - also small note: why would anyone be afraid of Mr. Joshi? He's a nice chap doing what he enjoys, and Scott trusts him - that's quite enough.

Date: 16 January, 2013 12:03PM
calonlan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> why would anyone be afraid
> of Mr. Joshi? He's a nice chap doing what he
> enjoys, and Scott trusts him - that's quite
> enough.

A sense of loyalty to the premier front-figure in Lovecraft and Weird Fiction studies may in some reach almost religious proportions.

I saw Joshi on youtube, and I like him! Quite generous of him to sing 'Silent Night' too!

Posted by: jdworth (IP Logged)
Date: 16 January, 2013 03:35PM
Well, he is a member of a choir....

I've never met Joshi, but I have had dealings with him over the years, via correspondence, from early debates on various points to submitting essays for possible publication. In all my dealings with him, he has been unfailingly cordial and friendly. Sometimes rushed, as he is almost always pushed for time, but never anything less than thoroughly kind, even when we were completely at odds in our views. In fact, at those times, he would urge me to develop my ideas and examine my contentions in a rigorous way, to build my case as soldily as possible. So, for my money, any timidity on someone's part where Joshi is concerned comes from a serious misconception, or a confusion of the intense tone of his scholarly works with the actual person. The one is necessary to convey his point of view clearly and firmly, but it is not how the man interacts with others in other spheres of endeavor.

On the volume itself... I, too, was a bit surprised to not see "The Abominations of Yondo", which I think would make a very good addition; but I also think "Sadastor" is actually, in many ways, a very good introduction to Smith, with its adumbration of some of his favorite themes and the very manner of the prose. It lets the reader know right off that here is a man who makes the language sing; a writer with the eye of the poet, whatever the chosen medium; and a truly unique and powerful voice. It may take some getting used to; but, then, so does the work of, say, Mervyn Peake, David Lindsay, Theophile Gautier, Lafcadio Hearn, or James Tiptree, Jr. (Alice Sheldon); yet all have proved popular enough to gain a rather solid following, and to continue to be published and enjoyed by new generations....

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 16 January, 2013 07:18PM
jdworth said " I also think "Sadastor" is actually, in many ways, a very good introduction to Smith, with its adumbration of some of his favorite themes and the very manner of the prose. It lets the reader know right off that here is a man who makes the language sing; a writer with the eye of the poet, whatever the chosen medium; and a truly unique and powerful voice. It may take some getting used to; but, then, so does the work of, say, Mervyn Peake, David Lindsay, Theophile Gautier, Lafcadio Hearn, or James Tiptree, Jr. ..."

DING DING DING!! We have a winner!! : ) I couldn't have said it better myself.

Besides, did it bog down THE END OF THE STORY? That book, too, featured "Sadastor" in an early position.

Date: 16 January, 2013 09:32PM
*blush* Thank you for the kind words, Scott....

Posted by: shivapashupati (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2013 06:38PM
I believe I read somewhere that the Library of America collection was somehow related to Penguin. Certainly all of us CAS fans would appreciate one of their hefty quality volumes dedicated to our favourite author. Just like they did for HPL.

Posted by: walrus (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2013 02:41PM
jimrockhill2001 Wrote:
> However, the one deep regret I have is the omission of "The Last Incantation",
> not only because it is a wonderful story that demonstrates Smith's ability to evoke deep emotion
> without having to resort to grue, but because I feel that "The Death of Malygris" and this story
> each gain from being read in tandem. That is the one omission I would urge you to rectify;
> otherwise, I can live with this selection.

This is the one omission that I also much regret, for the same reasons. It's not a very long piece, couldn't it be squeezed in?

"The Charnel God" would have been a fine enough inclusion, but it's non-appearance is not as grievous as that of "The Last Incantation".

"The Return of the Sorcerer" I have never cared about, it doesn't belong in a collection of Smith's best work, good riddance.

- Juha-Matti

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2013 10:47PM
I'm talking to S. T. about squeezing in "The Last Incantation." The arguments for its inclusion are convincing to me.

Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2013 06:31AM
Scott Connors Wrote:
> I'm talking to S. T. about squeezing in "The Last
> Incantation." The arguments for its inclusion are
> convincing to me.

Great news, Scott. Douglas Anderson attempted to write you the following, but the email address we both have for you is bouncing: "That's certainly one of my top ten CAS stories too!"

Jim

Date: 20 January, 2013 12:26PM
Yes, I had meant to mention that one myself, but time constraints.... Anyhoo, that is certainly among my favoritesn as well, and I, too, think it complements "The Death of Malygris" as well. Here's hoping it can be squeezed in....

Posted by: Draugen (IP Logged)
Date: 7 February, 2013 07:20AM
I think this is a really good line up.

I'm a bit suprised not to see The Abominations of Yondo, however. I seem to remember that it was after reading that story that I wanted to hunt down everything he had written. Maybe its just me, but I think its a good piece to get people hooked.

I also think a Voyage to Sfanomoë is a favourite of mine thats missing. It's the combination of reclusive brothers, Poseidonis, touch of sci fi, floral weirdness and cosmic fatalism :-)

Either way, congratulations on getting the go ahead for this.

Posted by: Jojo Lapin X (IP Logged)
Date: 7 February, 2013 07:49AM
Draugen Wrote:
> I also think a Voyage to Sfanomoë is a favourite
> of mine thats missing. It's the combination of
> reclusive brothers, Poseidonis, touch of sci fi,
> floral weirdness and cosmic fatalism :-)

Yes!

Goto Page: Previous1234567AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page